AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   AikiWiki (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Teachingkids (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12164)

wmreed 09-14-2005 08:32 PM

Games Added To Kids Section of Aikiwiki

I added a small number of games to Jill's excellent list of kid's aikido games! Thanks to AikiWeb and Jill for starting that! Teaching the children's class is my passion in Aikido!

Bill

akiy 09-15-2005 09:06 AM

Re: Games Added To Kids Section of Aikiwiki

Thanks, Bill, for your additions.

The AikiWiki page on aikido games for kids is available for everyone's perusal as well as modification and editing here:

http://www.aikiweb.com/wiki/kids

-- Jun

wmreed 09-25-2005 10:48 AM

Sock Wars added to the Kid's Games.

Our adults have found this game fun, too! :D

akiy 09-26-2005 10:16 AM

Thanks for the addition, William!

As always, people are encouraged to improve upon what's already in the AikiWiki. The "beauty" of the AikiWiki is that everyone who is a member of AikiWeb can add to what's already in the AikiWiki, making it basically like a community-driven resource of aikido information. If you have the time and inclination, please visit the AikiWeb AikiWiki and see what you, too, can contribute! (Here's more information on the AikiWiki, too.)

-- Jun

Jill N 09-26-2005 10:28 AM

Thank you guys- more games, more fun!
e ya later
Jill.

wmreed 04-14-2006 10:12 AM

"Counting Coup" game has been added to Teaching Kids section of Aikiwiki.

Counting Coup

wmreed 04-18-2006 08:10 AM

"Defend the Daimyo" game has been added to the Teaching Kids section of the Aikiwiki.

Defend the Daimyo

wmreed 04-18-2006 08:28 AM

"Cranes and Crows" game has been added to the Teaching Kids section of the Aikiwiki.

Cranes and Crows

wmreed 06-03-2006 09:16 PM

"Bola " and "Foxtail " games have been added to the Teaching Kids section of the Aikiwiki.

wmreed 03-19-2007 04:49 AM

"Sock Hockey" game has been added to the Teaching Kids section of the Aikiwiki.

akiy 03-19-2007 07:57 AM

Teachingkids

This is the discussion thread for the AikiWiki article "Teachingkids".

Please add comments below regarding the article.

aikidoc 03-19-2007 10:42 AM

Re: Teachingkids

I just recently came up with a game using the long tubular pool floats: Bokken tag. We used a nerf football and the tubes as bokken. The "It" person can only tag the other person by hitting them in the body with the ball. The only legitimate tag is to the torso-front or back. Anything below the belt on the arms or legs or above the shoulder does not count. The person defending can use the bokken tube (float tube) in any way to block the tag. I had them start out holding it like a bo. The can also attempt to knock the ball out of the "It" person's hand. The IT person cannot get up on top of them and must maintain at least the tube's distance.

The game helped them learn some blocking skills with the weapon and also getting off line, etc. It was actually harder to play in terms of making the tag since several were quite successful in blocking the ball.

I would have added this to the Aikiwiki but the teaching kids section did not seem to be there?

aikidoc 03-19-2007 10:44 AM

hmmm. Now it's there. The link did not work before. I'll put it there.

wmreed 03-19-2007 03:42 PM

Here's a suggestion for taking the wiki along with you as you go to the dojo.

Sometimes I need inspiration just before teaching the kids, and I don't have computer access. So, I've copied and pasted the games from the teaching kids wiki into a text file that I loaded on my iPod in the notes section.

Originally the file was too large for one long note, so I broke it down by the sections. But using something like WordPod could allow me to have the one long list of games and their descriptions with my at all times.

wmreed 05-05-2008 08:56 AM

"The Laughing Game" has been added to the Teaching Kids section of the aikiwiki.