AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Humor (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Spending a little too much time on here! (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8057)

ChrisHein 05-06-2005 01:00 AM

Spending a little too much time on here!

I've noticed I'm spending a little too much time on here. How many recovering addicts are out there?

-Chris Hein

maikerus 05-06-2005 01:10 AM

Re: Spending a little too much time on here!

None ;)

There is no way to recover...<sigh>

Dazzler 05-06-2005 03:40 AM

Guilty as charged.

happysod 05-06-2005 04:19 AM

Heathen - define too much

Rachel Strickman 05-06-2005 04:52 AM

Just lurk and never post. That way you can deny you have a problem. As you read the Good Hakama Gone Bad thread for the 18th time at three in the morning, shaking with silent laghter while your flatmates surreptitiously dial 999.

I can stop any time I want, damn you!

Ulises Garcia 05-06-2005 11:22 AM

[quote=I can stop any time I want, damn you![/QUOTE]

Yup. Just like the rest of us... :D

-U-

ChrisHein 05-06-2005 06:41 PM

That 3 in the morning thing is no joke, I think we're a sick lot! hahah

-Chris Hein

James Davis 05-06-2005 07:07 PM

I'm usually only able to log on during my lunch hour at work, but my good friend has loaned me her laptop to help feed my addiction. :hypno: You guys don't forget to eat, mmkay?

xuzen 05-06-2005 09:21 PM

Jun,

This is addictive. You should be charged for causing addiction. :D.

I only log on while at work and it so happen that I am a Judan in the art of Delegate-Do. Basically it means my subordinate does the job and I get the credit.

Boon.

ChrisHein 05-06-2005 11:16 PM

HAHAHHA, sounds like you're a ninja Xu, and not an Aikidoka!! hahahah!

-Chris Hein

malsmith 05-07-2005 07:19 PM

im glad to see im not the only one who cant live without aikiweb!

CNYMike 05-07-2005 09:05 PM

Quote:

Chris Hein wrote:
I've noticed I'm spending a little too much time on here. How many recovering addicts are out there?

-Chris Hein

If you are spending time here, you are not recovering.

But I am not addicted. I can quit any time I want to. I just don't want to.

:D

Tim Gerrard 05-13-2005 03:06 AM

My names Tim, and I have a problem...

Must...close...site.
Supervisor...coming...
Job...in danger...

Just can't seem to stop. :D

Nick Simpson 05-13-2005 07:10 AM

Tim, addiction to aikiweb is the least of your problems mate...

Justin Gaar 05-13-2005 12:38 PM

Hmmm.... How to psychologically handle aikiweb addiction...? :rolleyes: I wonder, just for the heck of it, what a psychologist would say if you claimed addiction to an aikido web site. Hmm?? Would he say, "Wow, you really are screwed" orrrr would he laugh and give you anti-psychotic pills. Hmmm. :confused: :p

:ai: :ki:

malsmith 05-14-2005 09:31 AM

i wonder if we are addicted to this site, or to this art... i mean i know i go here when i am not training at the dojo, its just a good way to kill time until my next class!

CNYMike 05-14-2005 10:38 AM

Quote:

Mal Smith wrote:
i wonder if we are addicted to this site, or to this art... i mean i know i go here when i am not training at the dojo, its just a good way to kill time until my next class!

I think Aikido is addictive. Yes, I do believe it is. That's probably the main reason I came back to it after 16 years. Sure, I can justify returning (it and Tai Chi work on the internal aspects whereas Kali, Serak, and Karate emphasize external; more help in learning how to relax my upper body muscles) and how it slots into my training now (focuses on areas of techniques Guro Andy covers too but, because Kali and Serak are huge, he doesn't cycle back to for 3-6 months. Seriously), but at the end of the day, I can't tell you what held my interest in Aikido! Whatever O Sensei tuned into, it gets in your blood and that's it -- you're doomed.

And the addiction is contagious. I've loaned Guro Andy some Aikido materials --- books and videos -- which he, of course, viewed ravenously out of his love for all martial arts. But now he has Aikido-on-the-brain. It came out one night when he was explaining something: "In this position, you have to remember that many Aikido practitioners .... Aikido? No, Wing Chun .... " The only thing that's kept him safe is the fact that his schedule hasn't permitted it. But if it did .... <shudder>

So those of you Aikiweb readers who have never done Aikido -- RUN AWAY! Save yourselves while you still can! Don't come any closer! Or you'll end up like us!

Everybody else: Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here.

DustinAcuff 05-14-2005 11:53 AM

I agree, Aikido gets in your blood and you are addicted. But just recently I've been uke for the advanced students and I'm starting to get addicted to flying through the air. IT IS SOO MUCH FUN!!!! I cant wait until my ukemi catches up and I can take more than 4 in a row!

Simbo 05-14-2005 08:33 PM

I've got no addiction, because to me addictions interfere with daily of life and causes the person distress, and I'm not currently at that pesky job that kept me from reading "Good Hamakas Gone Bad." So it doesn't interfere anymore...*grumble "people expecting me to answer the phone while I'm working" grumble*

But this just made me think of a funny clip that somebody should make and put online, think accessing aikiweb forum and the similar shots from "Requiem for a Dream" right after they shoot up. I think it'd be funny anyway.

Anybody think a support group is needed? AikiWeb Forum Anon? "I'm not just a member, I'm the president"

Rachel Strickman 05-15-2005 12:02 PM

so how many of you joined aikiweb about the same time you started aikido? i stumbled across it looking for an explanation of the japanese mumblings of my sensei and found a whole website of people just as obsessed as i was. however the embarassingly keen beginner is never a pleasant sight, so rather than talking my flatmate's ears off about how great aikido is, i lurk on here.

and now i can't leave!

CNYMike 05-15-2005 10:18 PM

Quote:

Rachel Strickman wrote:
so how many of you joined aikiweb about the same time you started aikido?

I started Aikido back in 1986; I don't think Aikiweb existed back then. :p However, I did find my way to it a couple of months after I got back into Aikido in March, 2004. The rest is hyster -- er, history. :)

Ben Eaton 05-16-2005 05:17 AM

Quote:

Rachel Strickman wrote:
so how many of you joined aikiweb about the same time you started aikido?

Yup, count me in.
Found this site in much the same way, trying to understand a bit more about the art, and since I've started Aikido, yes, it's become an addiction along with adding this site to my Favourites after looking once. :D

Amendes 05-16-2005 10:41 AM

Quote:

Chris Hein wrote:

-Chris Hein

Just spend more time on the mats.
I go there every night.

This is a place to come when I'm on break at work and thinking about being on the mats but can't go.