AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   AikiWeb System (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Poll: Which of the following three shapes resonates the most with your own aikido practice? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12739)

AikiWeb System 06-10-2007 03:06 PM

Poll: Which of the following three shapes resonates the most with your own aikido practice?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of June 10, 2007:

Which of the following three shapes resonates the most with your own aikido practice?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Circle
  • Square
  • Triangle
Here are the current results.

mrfeldmeyer 06-12-2007 06:36 AM

Re: Poll: Which of the following three shapes resonates the most with your own aikido

Maybe this is just too much of a physics mind talking, but I feel like we are missing vector or line. When applying forces in certain directions I think of a guided line with an arrow at one end. When practicing aikido I am applying forces (small ones most of the time) in certain directions.

After a few seminars with C. Clark Sensei, I could also see a square (or rectangle) as a fairly solid representative shape. This is due however to the four corners (four legs) created by two people standing together with connection between them. I believe Clark Sensei's metaphor was a table with four legs, and if you lose the support of one of the legs you effect the others.

Matt

roadster 06-12-2007 07:07 AM

Re: Poll: Which of the following three shapes resonates the most with your own aikido

None of the above as I transcend the boundaries of this linier space time continuum. :D

Aiki x 06-13-2007 06:01 AM

What??

Octagon is the most martial shape!!

Peter Goldsbury 06-13-2007 07:23 AM

Hello Jun,

I think you need to explain much more clearly what you mean by 'resonate'. I have been training for nearly 40 years now, but I have never been in a situation where a 'shape' 'resonates' with my aikido training.

In my scenario, the other guy is trying to kill me and I have to stop him. What I do afterwards, in terms of aikido as a 'peaceful martial art' is moot. So, after the encounter (which is successful, or I would be dead), I can speculate about the encounter. But what would be the point of further wondering whether my 'resonation' is square, circular or triangular?

As always, best wishes,

George S. Ledyard 06-13-2007 08:20 AM

Quote:

AikiWeb System wrote: (Post 180549)
AikiWeb Poll for the week of June 10, 2007:

Which of the following three shapes resonates the most with your own aikido practice?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Circle
  • Square
  • Triangle
Here are the current results.

Since these shapes are symbolic representations of states of energy which are fundamentally integrated, it would be silly to even think of things in this manner... no different than saying, "I really like Yin, not so big on that Yang stuff".

Mato-san 06-13-2007 11:10 AM

Are we restricted to just circles, squares and triangles? I must be doing my kokyu nage wrong it is a little oval like... when I think about it my shihonage is like that too... damn.... my Aikido must be really bad

mathewjgano 06-14-2007 12:15 PM

Quote:

George S. Ledyard wrote: (Post 180744)
Since these shapes are symbolic representations of states of energy which are fundamentally integrated, it would be silly to even think of things in this manner... no different than saying, "I really like Yin, not so big on that Yang stuff".

When I answered, I didn't like picking one shape over another, but I read the question as asking simply if one of these symbolic forms seems to dominate my movements. In a similar way, I've heard people refer to my own sensei as going through phases where his technique was more yin or yang, though of course there should be both at the same time.
Then again, trying to distinguish between a "triangle" emphasized technique and a "circle" one, I'm having some difficulty. So maybe speaking in terms of movements, this question doesn't work as well, but what do you think about the question as refering to a mental emphasis on entery, blending and, projecting? I know for me these three ideas often come to mind, though almost never as "triangle," "circle" and "square."
I dunno...
Take care,
Matt