AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   All of the Techniques in Aikido? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15512)

Marko Ilic 12-20-2008 08:57 AM

All of the Techniques in Aikido?

Hi can any one tell me which are the ALL techniques in aikido. This has been my question seance 6 years ago(i used to train but i broke my finger for the yellow belt exam-5 kyu)

mwible 12-20-2008 10:12 AM

Re: The most troubling question

Quote:

Marko Ilic wrote: (Post 221505)
Hi can any one tell me which are the ALL techniques in aikido. This has been my question seance 6 years ago(i used to train but i broke my finger for the yellow belt exam-5 kyu)

Are you asking for a complete list of Aikido techniques?
If so, then you will get some varied responses, since some "styles" choose to/ not to use various techniques, and some have ones that no others do.

But generally speaking.
:
There are the 3 main wrist locks:
-Ikkyo
-Nikkyo
-Sankyo

And then the throws:
-Koyku-nage
-Tenchi-nage
-Kote-gaeishi
-Sayu-nage
-Kaiten-nage

And then you have some others/ variants, such as:
-Hiji-otoshi
-Sumi-otoshi
-Arm bars
-Kubi-shime(chokes)

And tons of others that i am sure i am not thinking of at the moment:p , or that my form of Aikido does not teach.

Just let me know if you have any other questions

rei,
morgan

Marko Ilic 12-20-2008 10:26 AM

Thank you but i think that yonkyo and gokyo are one of the main wrist locks and i nevewr heard of Sayu-nage can you describe it
Thanks

Nathan Wallace 12-20-2008 10:34 AM

Well for us we have(and keep in mind these can be done from any attack and in more than one way usually more than just omote and ura)
ikkyo
nikkyo
sankyo
yonkyo
gokyo
kotegaeshi
irimi
sayu / sokumen irimi
koshi
juji
sumiotoshi
tenchi
tenbin
kokyu
hiji
kubijime
kaiten
aikiotoshi
then ovcourse aikiken and aikijo and im probably forgetting something...so etc. etc.

Marko Ilic 12-20-2008 10:39 AM

Thanks I probably know even less than that.But what about some techniques about rokyo or something.

mwible 12-20-2008 01:33 PM

Quote:

Marko Ilic wrote: (Post 221519)
Thank you but i think that yonkyo and gokyo are one of the main wrist locks and i nevewr heard of Sayu-nage can you describe it
Thanks

Not in the form of Aikido i study, we dont practice either; Yonkyo doesnt work on everyone(including a very flexible young woman at my dojo). So its basically just the 3 i listed with us, unless you include Kote-gaeishi.
And sayu nage is kinda like kokyu-nage, but with the back of your arm, versus the inside; does that make sense?(and its not my favorite, haha)

Marko Ilic 12-20-2008 02:14 PM

It makes sense but some people refer to yonkyo as Sumi otoshi i dont know why. I think yonkyo can be resisted easily if you do yoga to strech your arms.
Thanks

lbb 12-20-2008 04:19 PM

I'm curious why someone who trained briefly six years ago would care about the answer. Is it sort of like, I don't know, a stamp-collecting thing?

mathewjgano 12-20-2008 04:52 PM

Quote:

Marko Ilic wrote: (Post 221533)
It makes sense but some people refer to yonkyo as Sumi otoshi i dont know why. I think yonkyo can be resisted easily if you do yoga to strech your arms.
Thanks

My understanding is that yonkyo and sumiotoshi are two different techniques. I've practiced an upward projecting yonkyo (at least, that's what I think it was called) while sumi otoshi is "corner drop," isn't it?

David Maidment 12-20-2008 05:05 PM

The organisation where I train differentiate between yonkyo and sumiotoshi, also. Yonkyo seems to be more of an 'outside' technique, whereas sumiotoshi is done more from the inside (that makes sense in my head). But that might just be a quirk of our style, I don't know. I've also never seen anyone in our dojo demonstrate or even speak of jujinage, even though I've always considered it one of the 'main' techniques that everyone seems to practice.

Demetrio Cereijo 12-20-2008 05:22 PM

Quote:

Marko Ilic wrote: (Post 221505)
Hi can any one tell me which are the ALL techniques in aikido.

No. They are infinite.

lbb 12-20-2008 05:44 PM

Quote:

Matthew Gano wrote: (Post 221546)
My understanding is that yonkyo and sumiotoshi are two different techniques. I've practiced an upward projecting yonkyo (at least, that's what I think it was called) while sumi otoshi is "corner drop," isn't it?

I was referring to the original question, actually -- as in, it struck me as being kind of from left field, given the source. Not a criticism, it just struck me as odd.

Janet Rosen 12-20-2008 06:16 PM

Sayunage is known as sokumen iriminage in some dojos.

mathewjgano 12-20-2008 07:03 PM

Quote:

Mary Malmros wrote: (Post 221553)
I was referring to the original question, actually -- as in, it struck me as being kind of from left field, given the source. Not a criticism, it just struck me as odd.

I actually agree with you, but I'm curious why you replied to my post. I was just curious about the techniques' names. :)

JamesDavid 12-20-2008 07:22 PM

If a broken finger keeps you off the mats knowing the names of the techniques is the least of your worries.

lbb 12-20-2008 07:39 PM

Quote:

Matthew Gano wrote: (Post 221557)
I actually agree with you, but I'm curious why you replied to my post. I was just curious about the techniques' names. :)

I didn't reply to your post. I posted a comment that just happened to occur after your post.

mathewjgano 12-20-2008 08:10 PM

Quote:

Mary Malmros wrote: (Post 221560)
I didn't reply to your post. I posted a comment that just happened to occur after your post.

Gotcha. The quote threw me.

Marko Ilic 12-21-2008 12:40 AM

i didnt mean something like katetori ikkyo, but kust ikkyo nikyo sankyo and so on. Thanks for all the replies

lbb 12-21-2008 05:48 PM

Quote:

Matthew Gano wrote: (Post 221562)
Gotcha. The quote threw me.

Yeah, for whatever reason I always hit that stupid Quote button and then forget to erase the results. Sorry for the confusion.

Marko Ilic 12-22-2008 12:53 AM

Are there techniques like Rokkyo,Shickyo,Hachkyo...
And how about Hijinage, Aikinage, Kote oroshi...

Thanks,
Marko

Ewan Wilson 12-22-2008 07:09 AM

Quote:

Morgan Wible wrote: (Post 221515)
Are you asking for a complete list of Aikido techniques?
If so, then you will get some varied responses, since some "styles" choose to/ not to use various techniques, and some have ones that no others do.

But generally speaking.
:
There are the 3 main wrist locks:
-Ikkyo
-Nikkyo
-Sankyo

And then the throws:
-Koyku-nage
-Tenchi-nage
-Kote-gaeishi
-Sayu-nage
-Kaiten-nage

And then you have some others/ variants, such as:
-Hiji-otoshi
-Sumi-otoshi
-Arm bars
-Kubi-shime(chokes)

And tons of others that i am sure i am not thinking of at the moment:p , or that my form of Aikido does not teach.

Just let me know if you have any other questions

rei,
morgan

no yonkyo or shihonage?

Dieter Haffner 12-22-2008 07:17 AM

Quote:

Marko Ilic wrote:
The most troubling question

The most troubling question I have is: "What am I going to wear today?"

Ah, each has his own problems it seems.

Nathan Wallace 12-22-2008 07:50 AM

Quote:

Morgan Wible wrote: (Post 221529)
Not in the form of Aikido i study, we dont practice either; Yonkyo doesnt work on everyone(including a very flexible young woman at my dojo). So its basically just the 3 i listed with us, unless you include Kote-gaeishi.
And sayu nage is kinda like kokyu-nage, but with the back of your arm, versus the inside; does that make sense?(and its not my favorite, haha)

Quote:

Marko Ilic wrote: (Post 221533)
Thanks

I don't know how it is performed in your dojo but it has nothing to do with flexability in mine, and we can get it to work on anyone. Also it is my understanding that sumiotoshi is specifically projecting the uke's balance to what we call the third leg; a certain spot on the floor relative to the uke's stance and yonkyo is a matter of control through the forearm in any direction you like.

Quote:

Marko Ilic wrote: (Post 221645)
Are there techniques like Rokkyo,Shickyo,Hachkyo...
And how about Hijinage, Aikinage, Kote oroshi...

Thanks,
Marko

I have not heard of any of these except for aikinage which is a Daito ryu technique that has found a home in a few Aikido kokyunage.

Marko Ilic 12-22-2008 11:24 AM

Oh, sorry I meant to say that some people refer to hiji-otoshi as yonkyo. I'm really sorry for the mistake my friend was here when I was writing this and he mentioned sumi-otoshi so I wrote that. When I was reading the replies I saw someone said that, but when I looked at the name-oh snap I didn't write it right.

Thank you for the understanding (if you understand),
Marko

Ron Tisdale 12-22-2008 12:08 PM

Re: All of the Techniques in Aikido?

The pressure point in yonkajo/yonkyo doesn't work on everyone, but proper body movement and control of the center works on many more people than simply using a pressure point.

Of course, no method is infallible...

Best,
Ron

Nathan Wallace 12-23-2008 07:18 AM

Quote:

Ron Tisdale wrote: (Post 221701)
The pressure point in yonkajo/yonkyo doesn't work on everyone, but proper body movement and control of the center works on many more people than simply using a pressure point.

Best,
Ron

So use every method and you won't fail.:)

C. David Henderson 12-23-2008 09:02 AM

Quote:

Ron Tisdale wrote: (Post 221701)

Best,
Ron

This is what I have been taught. Properly executed, yonkyo allows you to send a pulse through uke's center that you can feel and see and an opportunity to control the center.

As for sumi otoshi, I wonder whether the question concerns ai hanmi sumi otoshi, which can involve hand positioning similar to yonkyo. But I agree that the throw itself is, despite that similarity, very different, and doesn't involve (for me) the application of yonkyo as a means of control.

YMMV

David

Ron Tisdale 12-23-2008 09:29 AM

Quote:

So use every method and you won't fail. :)
Well, that is one approach, simply combine enough of each method in what you do, and surely something will catch uke's center. :D

Another approach might be, tailor what you do to the specifc circumstance...that way, you waste less energy on things not relevent to the situation.

Both are good approaches...

Best,
Ron (pick your poison)

DevinHammer 12-26-2008 12:13 AM

Marko,
You are not in the dojo to learn vocabulary, nor to amass the largest collection of techniques, so you can rattle them off like baseball cards. With training the techniques will come, and some of them will have names - some not. With testing, the requirements will be communicated to you in whatever terminology works in your dojo. If you think of your Aikido as being a set of individual techniques, it will not flow from you naturally.
O'sensei, when asked by outsiders, "how many techniques does Aikido have?", would sometimes answer (facetiously), "30,000". Sometimes he would answer, "One". The latter answer is probably the more accurate. Ask your sensei, and anyone else you'd care to, what "Take Musu Aiki" means to them. None of the answers will be wrong, or better than others. Then, ask yourself what it means.

Mato-san 12-26-2008 02:47 AM

Just learn perfect/flawless tenkan, irimi technique and you could build a solid curriculum around that, rounded with some nice smooth principles of leverage and center management.

Think and feel outside of the box of techniques.

Look under them. Feel what is under them

Marko Ilic 12-26-2008 04:43 AM

So what your saying is... to learn the principles of motion.

Mato-san 12-26-2008 05:08 AM

I am saying learn the principles of Aikido and the function is another realm .... look beneath the technique

Garth Jones 12-29-2008 10:36 AM

As you have no doubt noticed, different groups have various names for similar techniques. If you would like a good description of basic techniques and the more common advanced techniques, the two volume 'Best Aikido' by the current and former Doshu would be a good place to start.

As for yonkyo, I think Ron is right. I focus on proper position and extension and the movement works regardless of the nerve. Of course, my wife never misses the nerves in my arms....

Cheers,
Garth

Takuan 01-05-2009 07:21 AM

I found that a great way to be "reminded" of the great variety of techniques in aikido are the DVDs of Christian Tissier. There are 3 DVDs I recommend, "Immobilizations", "Projections" and "Aplications". Of course, to consider the full gamut of techniques you should consider weapon taking as well, but these 3 DVDs cover all basic techniques with detail and great attention.