AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   To or not to wear hakama (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15969)

aikidocapecod 04-03-2009 09:29 AM

To or not to wear hakama

I have not been here in a while, so there is a good possibility that this has been covered before. I am looking to find out why some dojos do not allow hakama to be worn and others do. And why this practice started?

Thanks for any info on this topic.

Larry

gdandscompserv 04-03-2009 10:02 AM

Re: To or not to wear hakama

:eek: :blush: :freaky: :drool: :crazy: :yuck: :hypno: :D

lbb 04-03-2009 10:06 AM

:triangle: beats :square:
:square: beats :circle:
:circle: beats :triangle:

aikidocapecod 04-03-2009 10:10 AM

I just did a search and have found other threads that cover this topic....I will go through them
.thanks...Larry

Ketsan 04-03-2009 10:13 AM

It's my understanding that everyone was required to wear hakama until after WW2 when everyone below the rank of shodan was excused from wearing hakama due post war cloth shortages.

Over time this morphed into everyone below the rank of shodan being forbidden to wear hakama. That is apart from women above 3rd kyu who, upon attaining that rank, become so dazzlingly beautiful that they are required to wear hakama so that the men may practice without distraction. :D

aikidocapecod 04-03-2009 10:18 AM

if the hakama is required to cover features that would be a distraction to practice....then I should wear a full body hakama to keep from frightening my partners on the mat!!!

My main question is if anybody knows where and when the hakama became forbidden in some dojos until a certain rank.

I was asked....and I am trying to find the answer.

As I said...I am going through some previous threads to gain some info on this.

Thanks

Lyle Laizure 04-03-2009 08:54 PM

Quote:

Larry Murray wrote: (Post 227695)
if the hakama is required to cover features that would be a distraction to practice....Thanks

I know this isn't you primary question but I wanted to take a moment to to share something I read (and agree with) from one of Saotome Sensei's books...that is..if the hakama is required to cover features that would be a distraction to practice then those that are practicing are not practicing with the right frame of mind and that it is insulting to use this as a reason. This isn't verbatum but the gest of what I read. Personaly I prefer all students regardless of rank to wear hakama. Just my two cents.

Phil Van Treese 04-04-2009 05:01 PM

In Tomiki we rarely wear a hakama because of the ground work we do. IF I go to another dojo and they ask me to wear a hakama, I do.When they come to my dojo, their hakama use is up to their discretion.

jennifer paige smith 04-05-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Lyle Laizure wrote: (Post 227722)
Personaly I prefer all students regardless of rank to wear hakama.

That's how I roll! After beginner series, "Here's your hakama. What's your hurry?":)

jennifer paige smith 04-05-2009 11:02 AM

Quote:

Phil Van Treese wrote: (Post 227747)
IF I go to another dojo and they ask me to wear a hakama, I do.When they come to my dojo, their hakama use is up to their discretion.

There's some good manners.

If a person visiting my dojo did not have a hakama, and we had one that would fit them, I would have them wear it. Just like a 'must wear a tie' restaurant. If not, to the kitchen....:D

JohnRN 04-07-2009 03:50 PM

Larry,
I don't think there is a good answer to your question. I'm not sure anyone really knows WHY the various dojos do what they do. But the statement about post WW2 hakama wearing I have heard/read previously. I also recall something about many of the students back then would wear their grandparents/parents formal Hakama to class, etc. That O'Sensei required it, etc.

I know in our Dojo it is not required of you to ever wear one if you do not wish, however you may start as soon as you pass your first test, and it is encouraged for you to do so, but not required. Personally I believe in wearing it and always wear mine, have since I was a 6th Kyu it was my B-day present some 10 yrs ago.

John

Abasan 04-08-2009 01:29 AM

Wearing the hakama is to understand the tenets of budo. Represented on those 7 pleats you have at the front. Osensei used to forbid anyone not wearing a hakama from training with him in class. At least that's what I heard.

Someone in the forum mentioned sometime back that hakama wearing arts means its a derivative of Samurai arts. And later someone else refuted that Osensei was ever from a samurai family whilst Takeda was undoubtedly from one as is his daito ryu art.

Flintstone 04-08-2009 02:00 AM

Quote:

Ahmad Abas wrote: (Post 227926)
Wearing the hakama is to understand the tenets of budo. Represented on those 7 pleats you have at the front.

I wonder if Takeda knew about the tenets of Budo.

But agree with the rest.

Lyle Laizure 04-10-2009 10:23 AM

I have heard and read the reference of the pleats in the hakama represent the 7 virtues of budo. The hakama being developed to protect horsemen's legs. The tenents of budo came about after the sengoku period I think. This would mean the virtues were attached well after the invention of the hakama. Either way I like the representation.

Ron Tisdale 04-10-2009 10:59 AM

In yoshinkan dojo it is often not worn except by the intstructor or senior students. There is some variation.

Because I like to visit other dojo, I made a point to become comfortable in mine. Other than that, it tends to be slightly annoying sometimes during hard training, and I think the yoshinkan instructors like to be able to see your form (the "style" being rather form minded).

But to each their own...it doesn't bother me one way or the other.

Best,
Ron

salim 04-10-2009 02:13 PM

It should be a personal choice. If it's not needed or impedes move ability, then why use it? Perhaps out of respect of some custom. I'm glad it's not a requirement from our sensei, but we respect it's various meanings.

Tinyboy344 04-29-2009 11:49 PM

Messing with my hakama is like messing with my emotions :grr: :p

Bobby Cottle 05-15-2009 08:14 PM

I hate wearing a hakama. Probably because I'm naturally a bit clumsy, but still.

In my first dojo, nobody wore them, so I had different expectations when I finally started again and my teacher asked where my hakama was. Heh.

aikibudo 05-23-2009 05:55 PM

I personally enjoy wearing a hakama, ive had the pleasure to train in 3 diffrent styles of aikido and and have had dojo's where the hakama wasnt allowed until dan rank, in my current school everyone wears a hakama if they want, I personally think it helps with your center and good posture.

Basia Halliop 05-23-2009 07:53 PM

Quote:

Osensei used to forbid anyone not wearing a hakama from training with him in class. At least that's what I heard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adsgHdlR_Vo

Bobby Cottle 05-23-2009 08:22 PM

Maybe that wasn't his class? :p

Ruairidh 05-28-2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Alex Lawrence wrote: (Post 227694)
It's my understanding that everyone was required to wear hakama until after WW2 when everyone below the rank of shodan was excused from wearing hakama due post war cloth shortages.

Over time this morphed into everyone below the rank of shodan being forbidden to wear hakama. That is apart from women above 3rd kyu who, upon attaining that rank, become so dazzlingly beautiful that they are required to wear hakama so that the men may practice without distraction. :D

is that true? i just thougth it was a sign of rank like a new belt or shodan

Kevin Leavitt 05-28-2009 03:56 PM

Hey you just reminded me...it is after memorial day! We go to optional wear in the summer as it is often too hot! I prefer to not wear them, but hey that is me. I also don't mind it too much either though.

Bobby Cottle 05-28-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Kevin Leavitt wrote: (Post 231169)
We go to optional wear in the summer as it is often too hot!

I am atsugari, which means overly sensitive to the heat. For me, the dead of winter is still too hot to wear them.

A Tokyo summer is excruciating, and my dojo doesn't do optional wear. :drool: