AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   present dojo etiquette list or not (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7794)

arjandevries 03-27-2005 11:14 AM

present dojo etiquette list or not

Hi all you aiki fans,

Would you present new members after a few month a copy of dojo etiquette or not. Or would you print them on your dojo website and point this out to the new student?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for thinking about it,

Arjan de Vries
Netherlands

Janet Rosen 03-27-2005 11:29 AM

Re: present dojo etiquette list or not

Why would you wait a few months before giving the handout to the new student? Why not just hand it to each new student when they sign up?

Kevin Kelly 03-27-2005 12:18 PM

When I first started I was given a "Student Handbook". It had a lot of different information in it that came in handy. Otherwise, I just did what everyone else did.

malsmith 03-27-2005 12:27 PM

yeah i got a "student handbook" when i first joined also... but sometimes if someone or a few people are having etiquette problems, our shihan will send out a "reminder letter" of the rules.

i think the rules and etiquette stuff should always be available to anyone to see or read just because you should not just do what everyone else does, you should know for sure what's going on. (i know in my dojo a lot people do things wrong and it's not good to follow them)

Jill N 03-27-2005 12:34 PM

We hand out the etiquette rules whenever someone joins the dojo. Saves some embarassment and answers some questions. It is part of our beginners class- handed out after the first class so any questions can be answered in second class.
e ya later
Jill.

Kevin Kelly 03-27-2005 01:16 PM

When I said "what everyone else does" I didn't mean it literally. It's not too hard to figure out what you are supposed to do, at least in our dojo. We are fairly traditional to a point, but it is not carried to the extreme.

aoerstroem 03-27-2005 05:51 PM

I agree completely. Be clear about the dojo etiquette straight away.
Etiquette is important and you feel like a fool when you are corrected for doing something you should have been told a long time ago.

Case in point: In my dojo some of the sempai aren't too strict on etiquette which is fine, but the other day I was rushing to the line an sat between to students wearing hakama. This would have been alright in the other class, but here it wasn't and I was corrected.
In the three years I have been training no one told me anything about that rule, and that was an embarrassing experience that could be avoided.

Karen Wolek 03-27-2005 06:45 PM

New members receive a member handbook when they sign up; it has a section on etiquette. It is also available on our dojo webpage.

arjandevries 03-27-2005 11:18 PM

I must ad that I just started this dojo so their are only new people so there are no examples.

Arjan

bryce_montgomery 03-30-2005 10:53 AM

I'd say give them the rules and any other such information when they come to their first class. This allows them to have it to look at and prepare for the next class.

Bryce

Bronson 03-30-2005 08:58 PM

I say give it to them on their SECOND class. Otherwise you'll waste a lot of paper and photocopying expense on those people who don't plan on coming back :D

Bronson

PeterR 03-30-2005 09:23 PM

I rely on the group leading the beginner by example and the desire of the beginner to be part of the group. Don't particularily like published rules.

Rupert Atkinson 03-30-2005 09:28 PM

I hate published rules. Beginners learn from their peers, that's it.

happysod 03-31-2005 02:13 AM

Arjan, we go with the website as anyone interested in staying will normally take the time to look. Otherwise just a brief mention at the start of our beginners class (but then we don't do much proper etiquette stuff)

Quote:

I rely on the group leading the beginner by example and the desire of the beginner to be part of the group
ack - Borg shodothugs...

PeterR 03-31-2005 02:41 AM

Quote:

Ian Hurst wrote:
ack - Borg shodothugs...

Touche'

Yann Golanski 03-31-2005 02:53 AM

Quote:

Ian Hurst wrote:
ack - Borg shodothugs...

Resistence is futil, you will be thrown or pinned...

Olaf 03-31-2005 03:02 AM

We have the student handbook posted on our website (www.shoshindojo.de -> Rodgau -> Training), and have hardcopies in the dojo for people who still not connected to the rest of the world ;-)
When new students sign in they also sign for having read and understood the dojo rules (part of student handbook) and that they will follow them.
Has worked well so far, saves us the same questions over and over...
Olaf Schubert

bryce_montgomery 03-31-2005 09:32 AM

Remember that the students in Arjan's dojo are ALL new students...therefore there is no group to follow correctly.

There is nothing wrong with published rules for etiquette, seeing as it's another method of teaching that could help the student.

I do see the reasoning behind Bronson's thought, "Give it to them on their SECOND class," and it makes perfect sense. Thanks Bronson!

Bryce

Jerry Miller 03-31-2005 11:14 AM

A copy is posted in the dressing room. Read or ignore at your own risk. Etiquette will be mentioned if not picked up on. You are a representative of your dojo and organization.

Melissa Fischer 04-18-2005 05:44 PM

Does anyone have a copy of a sample etiquette booklet or "welcome to the dojo" type of thing I can look at on line (in English, s'il vous plait!)? I'd prefer it if people could just learn their manners from the senior members but maybe that is unrealistic in our society which is so different from the early Japanese culture from which Aikido comes.

thanks in advance,

Melissa

arjandevries 04-20-2005 04:30 AM

Hi,

you can look at this link:
http://www.aikido-west.org/handbook/index.html

It is a handbook written by Frank Doran Sensei. I used a few things in my own handbook I will hand out to new students (including dojo etiquette which is what this topic is about!)

My handbook is in Dutch so I do not think you can use it.

Greetings,

Arjan de Vries
Netherlands

Dazzler 04-20-2005 04:47 AM

Quote:

Bryce Montgomery wrote:
I do see the reasoning behind Bronson's thought, "Give it to them on their SECOND class," and it makes perfect sense. Thanks Bronson!

Bryce

I don't agree with this.

You only have one chance to make a first impression.

Its worth the effort and investement and in our experience increases the retention rate.

Give them a handbook !

cheers

D