AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Visiting Hawaii (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20434)

NagaBaba 10-18-2011 01:57 PM

Visiting Hawaii

We will be visiting Hawaii 29.10 -- 12.11.2011 with my wife.

29.10 -- 1.11 we will be in Honolulu and visiting around island and 1-11 November we will be visiting Kauai with Kapaa as a base.

Hopefully we will have a good chance to meet Chris Li, any other possibility to aikido&beer&sake practice? I know there are some aikiweb members from Hawaii. It would be fantastic for us to meet you guys. We love very much good Japanese food, and Nature, planned some light trekking, and already bought solid boots. Now I'm looking for advices where to go as addition to our plans (yes we did our homework! ). I got some from Trip Adviser forum; we are not funs of crowded tourist places.

I.e. many friends suggest strongly rent a jeep instead of small car, is it really a must? Apparently one can't drive to many places because of the state of the roads. So with small car you drive up to certain point and then have to walk few miles to the beach…However such upgrade is quite expensive.

What should we be aware of?

Thanks!

jamie yugawa 10-18-2011 04:06 PM

Re: Visiting Hawaii

There are so many great dojos on Oahu. On Kawaii, there is Shimokawa Sensei's dojo Lihue Aiki Kai. As far as the car it depends on what you want to do there. A car is fine for the most part unless you are taking the back roads somewhere.

NagaBaba 10-21-2011 07:05 PM

Quote:

Jamie Yugawa wrote: (Post 294769)
There are so many great dojos on Oahu. On Kawaii, there is Shimokawa Sensei's dojo Lihue Aiki Kai. As far as the car it depends on what you want to do there. A car is fine for the most part unless you are taking the back roads somewhere.

Thank you Jamie.

No other advises? What about utility of GPS?

Rob Watson 10-21-2011 10:41 PM

Quote:

Szczepan Janczuk wrote: (Post 294965)
No other advises?

7 to 10 days after the full moon avoid the beaches or you will experience the fun of the jellyfish stings.

jamie yugawa 10-22-2011 09:54 PM

The use of GPS or any other location device is great, especially if you are unfamiliar with the Hawaiian names of areas. As far as places to eat, I don't frequent Oahu enough to recommend any great Japanese restaurants other than genki sushi. But I am sure there are much better places for that!!!

jamie yugawa 10-22-2011 09:57 PM

Yeah if you hit the Big Island sometime, please let me know. It is bigger, smaller towns and a lot of nature things to do here. Plus we love to drink and eat with visitors!!!!!

NagaBaba 11-05-2011 11:34 PM

Quick update:
We met Chris, practice some extensive esoteric stuff. Now we are on Kauai, is so much more fun and beautiful then Honolulu...
more to come

hughrbeyer 11-06-2011 08:17 PM

Szczcpejstezept-- You're in Hawaii? I thought you were in the wild, deep, deadly north?

NagaBaba 11-13-2011 11:06 AM

Its good to change sometimes North to Hawaii :)

Back home now with tons of pix and video. Definitely Kauai is the most beautiful island I've ever seen. Some folks here do camping for 5 $ per night! (fresh water and electricity included) You can buy from locals the fruits, depending of the season (apple bananas, mango and papayas...i.e. 3 items for 2$, super fresh and aromatic ooouuhhhhh, the best we've ever eaten...) No mosquito or other fierce beasts.

We did some hiking, this time almost only easy trails. Waimea canyon is a breath taking! There are some wild beaches, spectacular and ....empty. No tourists, you can have one only for you...why all this ppl go to extra crowded Waikiki??? Mystery....

And I agree, travel is killing, but well,I suspect there is no other way to enter into the Paradise...

Marc Abrams 11-14-2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Szczepan Janczuk wrote: (Post 296081)
Quick update:
We met Chris, practice some extensive esoteric stuff.

Szczepan:

Care to elaborate on the esoteric stuff?

marc abrams

NagaBaba 11-16-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Marc Abrams wrote: (Post 296823)
Szczepan:

Care to elaborate on the esoteric stuff?

marc abrams

Hi Marc,

I suppose it was typical IS/IP training, but I can be wrong, I've never seen one. What I can say it was not aikido training. We were not surprised because Chris warned me it will be special practice. Chris did great job trying to explain very many details, but my brain is so limited, I'm afraid I forgot a lot. Also his students were very kind and enthusiastic trying to help us.

We did something like typical katate ryote dori kokyu ho but standing, or more precisely walking step by step forward and backward while doing kokyu down and/or up. We did also something that resembled tenchi nage if I remember correctly and some kumi tachi with bokken. In the end it was very strange exercise from seiza also from attack katate ryote dori where nage simply raised forearms one million times without moving the elbows.

I regretted we didn't do some warm-up and rolling; we were so sour stiff and broken after 20 hours in the plane and needed it badly.