AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Slight Ukemi problem (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15426)

Marko Ilic 11-26-2008 01:23 AM

Slight Ukemi problem

Hi, although I am falling with the advanced class with 3 months of training I still have problems with the left Jujinage Ukemi. When I fall I always hit my head on the mat can anybody help me out with this problem.

P.S. I have a similar problem with the left kotegaeshi break fall.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Marko

justin 11-26-2008 02:35 AM

Re: Slight Ukemi problem

impossible to see what is going on over the internet I am sure someone with far more experience than me will pop along soon to give some general tips, however if i was hitting my head I would stop right there and seek advise from sensei before you damage your head or neck. We all take hard ukemi when we start the odd bruised shoulder back ect with practice this becomes softer but for myself hurting my neck and head wouldnt be something I would continue with.

Marko Ilic 11-26-2008 02:52 AM

I dont bump my head hard i just touch the mat.

Mark Stokmans 11-26-2008 04:26 AM

Few thoughts that come into mind:
1. Your left side is obviously the weaker. Try to learnfrom your strong side. Try to anaylse what you are doing correct on the right side and copy that.
2. A forward breakfall IMHO is nothing more than normal mae-ukemi but then without the arm/shoulder touching the ground. For people with problems with breakfall I often advize them to just role. Trying to do a breakfall often leads to jumping action which doesn't help.
3. Tuck in your head, chin to your chest.
4. Breakfalls from Jyujinage s*ck. Your arms are both held by tori, they are knotted together, your shoulders more often than not are pressed together. Ask Tori to give you space to learn the breakfall.

Good luck: And don't forget your sensei might have a good idea.

Mark

Marko Ilic 11-26-2008 12:42 PM

Thanks Mark that was really helpful i found my problem the most being not tucking in my head. Thanks a lot

Marko

DCP 11-26-2008 05:46 PM

IMO, nage should be supporting you so that you do not hit your head. If nage does not know how to support uke, he should release from the jujinage earlier so you can safely roll.

Marko Ilic 11-26-2008 11:45 PM

Yea but he keeps holding me

Mark Stokmans 11-27-2008 01:05 AM

I had a tori who did that to me once. Normally I do not have a problem with it, though it can be hard on the ribcage. But he was being sloppy and desinterested. Untill I managed to hold om to him as he was holding on to me and pulled him with me into the fall. :D

That opened his eyes a bit.

A lot op people think the goals of aikido techniques is to throw somebody to the ground. That is not the goal, it is the consequence of good aikido technique. On the other hand, the consequence of wanting to throw people to the ground is often bad technique.

Glad to have helped. Once again good luck and have fun.

Marko Ilic 11-27-2008 02:54 AM

Thanks everyone.

Marko Ilic 11-27-2008 02:58 AM

Also when I do the technique to my friend he always says:,,No wait I don't know how to fall", and that's when I explained what he does. Funny

grondahl 11-27-2008 03:28 AM

Skip breakfalls until nage actually throws you. When we do jujigarame I usally end up doing a back/sidefall rather than a breakfall unless nage is doing a really good throw. And when nage actually throws then the breakfall is easy.

Getting over the need to do fancy ukemi to crappy waza is a good starting point for safe practice.

Nathan Wallace 11-27-2008 07:16 PM

Quote:

Peter Gröndahl wrote: (Post 220173)
Skip breakfalls until nage actually throws you. When we do jujigarame I usally end up doing a back/sidefall rather than a breakfall unless nage is doing a really good throw. And when nage actually throws then the breakfall is easy.

Getting over the need to do fancy ukemi to crappy waza is a good starting point for safe practice.

I don't know, sometimes the really bad waza require outstanding ukemi not to get killed. lol. Yeh, most of the time I do that for juji aswell, that little slide onto the mat, but in my class for fear of injury we always are instructed to do it very slow. So a breakfall would be quite difficult and dangerous really in that case.

lbb 11-28-2008 06:27 PM

Quote:

Paul Wallace wrote: (Post 220200)
I don't know, sometimes the really bad waza require outstanding ukemi not to get killed. lol.

Maybe you would do better avoiding situations and partners where "outstanding ukemi" is required to avoid injury, than you would be trying for "outstanding ukemi" with three whole months' training under your belt.

John Longford 11-30-2008 10:17 AM

Hi Marko,
First Jujinage. If Nage throws you with the top hand at his shoulder height, keeps hold of this hand and lets go of your other hand as he/she projects you are supported and can also slap. This makes the Ukemi much easier and safer.
Second Kotegaeshi. I assume you mean the high fall. Students initially learn to take a backward Ukemi. Often when they make the transition to a high fall they still start to bend a leg. This means that they have to project themselves higher than would be necessary if they had stayed upright. Could this be your problem
Hope this helps,
Regards,
John

Nathan Wallace 11-30-2008 04:59 PM

Quote:

Mary Malmros wrote: (Post 220236)
Maybe you would do better avoiding situations and partners where "outstanding ukemi" is required to avoid injury, than you would be trying for "outstanding ukemi" with three whole months' training under your belt.

it would be nice. however that is not always the sensei's wish, and i am confused by your post. i am not the one with only three months experience; i have a meager seven years in aikido behind me.

lbb 12-01-2008 05:49 AM

Quote:

Paul Wallace wrote: (Post 220298)
it would be nice. however that is not always the sensei's wish, and i am confused by your post. i am not the one with only three months experience; i have a meager seven years in aikido behind me.

Why did you think I was replying to your post?

Marko Ilic 12-01-2008 09:22 AM

Thank you everybody. Oh and John on of my friends told me that the mistake was my legs were crossed. How should my legs be.

Thanks,
Marko

Mark Stokmans 12-02-2008 02:23 AM

Easiest is that if youo are rolling over your right shoulder your right leg should be in front. Left leg in front, role over left shoulder.

Nathan Wallace 12-02-2008 07:40 AM

Quote:

Mary Malmros wrote: (Post 220314)
Why did you think I was replying to your post?

Cause you quoted my post in that message. Sorry. I misunderstood.

lbb 12-02-2008 08:09 AM

Quote:

Paul Wallace wrote: (Post 220382)
Cause you quoted my post in that message. Sorry. I misunderstood.

No, my mistake and clumsy phrasing. Sorry!

Marko Ilic 12-03-2008 12:16 AM

Thank you everybody,

Marko