AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   aikido & BJJ (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21669)

Chris Evans 08-21-2012 07:24 AM

aikido & BJJ

Anyone one training in aikido and BJJ (jiujitsu)?
Has anyone gone to BJJ and come back to aikido?

I want to train in aikido (while karate dojo training 1 or 2 a week, but do not have the time and budget to also train in BJJ ($120/month @ x2 per week or $190 month @ unlimited).

I train because it's a fun way to be healthier and I might acquire skill that may save life if "it" comes.

grondahl 08-21-2012 08:12 AM

Re: aikido & BJJ

2004 called and wanted it´s topic back ;)

There are numerous threads on this specific topic, some quite new. My own experience tells me that your aikido will be better by training in bjj and that they are very compatible.

Chris Evans 08-21-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Peter Gröndahl wrote: (Post 314676)
2004 called and wanted it´s topic back ;)

There are numerous threads on this specific topic, some quite new. My own experience tells me that your aikido will be better by training in bjj and that they are very compatible.

my Search with "BJJ" yielded nothing then my Search, after this post, with "jiujitsu" yielded plenty. :sorry:

believer in "recycling"

ChrisHein 08-21-2012 11:17 AM

I've done both. I "came back". Training in BJJ is one of the best decisions I've ever made. It taught me A LOT about martial arts in a very short time. I used the concepts and ideas gained from BJJ to better understand my Aikido.

It's worth it. Do it.

Kevin Leavitt 08-21-2012 01:30 PM

I'm a 2 stripe brown belt in BJJ under Rigan Machado, been training in BJJ extensively for last 9 years. Also Show an in aikido. Aikido is very complementary to BJJ. Check out my friend Roy Dean as well, he is very accomplished in both. Google Roy Dean Academy.

Michael Neal 08-28-2012 11:21 AM

Yes I do BJJ and am considering taking up Aikido again, for the gaping holes in BJJ training, multiple attackers and weapons.

miser 08-28-2012 01:34 PM

I'd like to study a bit of BJJ. Looks great for fitness and for expanding technical understanding of areas that aikido doesn't much cover.

ChrisHein 08-29-2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Michael Neal wrote: (Post 315087)
Yes I do BJJ and am considering taking up Aikido again, for the gaping holes in BJJ training, multiple attackers and weapons.

Awesome!

Dazzler 08-29-2012 04:20 AM

Quote:

Matthew Bowen wrote: (Post 315097)
I'd like to study a bit of BJJ. Looks great for fitness and for expanding technical understanding of areas that aikido doesn't much cover.

Check out Pedro Bessa in Bristol if you are serious. Has a good reputation locally.

miser 08-29-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Daren Sims wrote: (Post 315146)
Check out Pedro Bessa in Bristol if you are serious. Has a good reputation locally.

Thank you, I'll look into it.

Adam Huss 08-30-2012 09:48 PM

I train in JJJ and judo, but aikido is my 'base art.'

Chris Evans 08-31-2012 10:12 AM

aikido & BJJ/judo & karate

so much to learn so little time

for a while i'll be concentrating on aikido and continue in karate.
can't ever get enough of judo or jiu-jitsu (BJJ) training, i'll have to come back to these when I get a basic sense of understanding of aikido (good and fast high falls) - right now aiki- is all new and confusing and is way too early to say, but i feel now aikido might become my base...

my budo paths intertwine: aikido & BJJ/judo & kara-te...which looks a lot like full-contact hapkido.

Osu