AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Newbie stuff... (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9624)

idarch 01-17-2006 11:05 AM

Newbie stuff...

Hi, I am quite new to Aikido (5th Kyu) and would like help with the following...

1) When the sensei claps for us to kneel down and watch and my gi is coming apart can I neaten it while I watch him or should I wait until we next get up?
2) Should I bow to the Shomen when I leave the mat? Only one of the aikidoists (sorry if I made that word up) do this, but we all bow when we leave the dojo and when we enter the dojo AND the mat.
3) The whole blending thing... is this something I will get with time, coz at the moment I can't get it at all :(
4) What should I do if someone hold my wrists so tight when practising a technique that I can't move them?

Thanks for all the help :D

PhilMyKi 01-17-2006 11:30 AM

Re: Newbie stuff...

In response ...

1) Wait until you get up, you should be paying attention and really can't make a good job of straightening yourself whilst kneeling (although occasionally I try myself)
2) Yes, always
3) Yes, we all struggle from time to time (at least that is what I am told!) :)
4) Your choices are this ... ... ... bitch about your hand turning blue or relax and perform the technique because if they are holding on so tight, there will be a lot of energy to use - you just need to find a way to exploit it all!. :D

Thats my thoughts on it!

Happy training.

Josh Reyer 01-17-2006 12:14 PM

Quote:

Ivan Darch wrote:
4) What should I do if someone hold my wrists so tight when practising a technique that I can't move them?

First, move yourself. If you can't bring your hand to your center, bring your center to your hand. Then (and this is the hard part), try to move your hand along your center keeping it totally relaxed. Don't clench your muscles.

Ketsan 01-17-2006 12:15 PM

4) Leave your hand where it is and move your body.

justin 01-17-2006 12:23 PM

if no 4 gets to bad remind them you are a begineer maybe

Larry Cuvin 01-17-2006 12:51 PM

Hi Ivan,
I am also relatively new to Aikido but here's my 2 cents...
With regard to blending, it will come in time. As you progress in your training you will be more and more aware of timing, when to move, and how to move to be able to blend in and lead your partner. I also have this problem, but I'm patient and as long as we improve even by a small amount it is OK.
Regarding the tight grip on the wrist...
Relax more, don't think of the tight grip on your hand because you will cut Ki. Extend Ki through your finger tips and you will have an unbendable arm. Then leave your hand there and move from your one point (hip). Your partner will soon realize that the more he tighten his grip, the more pain he will suffer.
Hope this help.

Rod Yabut 01-17-2006 01:39 PM

Ivan, on techniques and practice...give yourself a couple of months. It seems that you are already on the right track thinking about Aikido outside the dojo. Don't be afraid to ask your teacher, they should be more than happy to answer any concerns before or after class. Phillip nailed the etiquette portion of your questions.

Janet Rosen 01-17-2006 02:12 PM

re (1): I was taught that it is rude to line up with an unkempt dogi, and what i've most commonly seen is people turn with back to shomen to quickly make the adjustments (which is also a visual signal to the instructor that they are doing this and not ignoring the clap) and once done, sit down as quickly as possible in the line.

giriasis 01-17-2006 07:31 PM

Quote:

Ivan Darch wrote:
Hi, I am quite new to Aikido (5th Kyu) and would like help with the following...

1) When the sensei claps for us to kneel down and watch and my gi is coming apart can I neaten it while I watch him or should I wait until we next get up?

The usual practice at my dojo is to turn your back to shomen and quickly adjust your gi, but don't take forever doing it.

Quote:

2) Should I bow to the Shomen when I leave the mat? Only one of the aikidoists (sorry if I made that word up) do this, but we all bow when we leave the dojo and when we enter the dojo AND the mat.
Find out what your supposed to do in your dojo. We do a standing bow to the mat, then step on mat do a kneeling bow to the shomen. When stepping off most people do just a standing bow. Not many people bow at the door as we walk in and out, not even sensei. Although some do. But then again, my dojo isn't very strict.
Quote:

3) The whole blending thing... is this something I will get with time, coz at the moment I can't get it at all :(
It is something you will get with time, but only if you keep working at it.
Quote:

Ask them for help. I.e., "what am I doing wrong?" If they don't know then ask them to loosen up their grip some so you can practice the form of the technique. My experience is that most people will be able to help you.

idarch 01-19-2006 06:38 AM

Thanks to everyone for your replies I have read them all and will use all of your responses, thank you.

Mato-san 01-25-2006 08:44 AM

The tread may be almost finished but I would like to add my 2 cents.
#4 someone holds you so tight you can`t move?
Is that not why you took aikido?
This is not why I took aikido but I found aikido very useful in this situation.
And were I train I am the biggest,strongest guy in the dojo, but this is why they like to train with me, my sensei never said anything to me about it ,but, when I am uke or nage for that matter,for him(sensei), I always step it up a notch , I noticed him observe the bruises and then look to me and smile, because throughout the waza he was always on top! I never offer retaliation, but strong uke.I do this to confirm the waza for myself, but in doing that I really give joy to those that want to know how "really" effective their waza is. Ohh the Joy that is shared! It is so comforting knowing that the waza really does work, not just for me for everyone! Sorry for the long story!