AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Which Style? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23166)

Derrick JHB 11-28-2013 03:10 AM

Which Style?

Hello all, My name is Derrick and I stay in SA. I want to start aikido, but there are a few things I am not clear about e.g how can there be different styles of aikido, if there are different styles which style is the best, are these all different styles, what is the difference? Tomiki, Shodokon, Yoshinkan, Shinbu.

Thank you. Derrick.

Mario Tobias 11-28-2013 07:18 PM

Re: Which Style?

There are no best styles, but there are best teachers.

Rather than search for the style of aikido that's perceived as "best", seek a highly competent and respected teacher as your primary prerequisite to choosing a dojo.

The art is only as good as the teacher teaching it.

robin_jet_alt 11-28-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Mario Tobias wrote: (Post 332675)
There are no best styles, but there are best teachers.

Rather than search for the style of aikido that's perceived as "best", seek a highly competent and respected teacher as your primary prerequisite to choosing a dojo.

The art is only as good as the teacher teaching it.

I completely agree. I have done 4 different styles now because of this philosophy.

Mary Eastland 11-30-2013 07:13 AM

If you dig around Aikiweb a little you will see that this topic has been talked about a bit.

I have trained on just one path for my whole training with a little wander of 15 years into self defense.

You could look at the dojos in your area and do some research. Trust your gut. At a thriving dojo there will be people of all ranks and and at least 3 or 4 women.

That would be what I would look for...of course you may be looking for a different kind of training...so ask yourself what your looking for and go find it.

philipsmith 11-30-2013 08:38 AM

Having trained with people in all styles my feeling is that the stylistic differences become smaller with experience. After all you can only move the body in certain ways and they all share the same fundamental root.

kuzushi 03-02-2014 02:53 PM

Who knows Tomiki?

JP3 03-02-2014 02:55 PM

I do Tomiki, and I love it, but I have a friend who practices what I might call the Traditional, Ueshiba aikido (showing my ignorance), Hambu style and he flat loves it.

I like the TOmiki stuff (I started Hambu as a kid) because the teachning method flows out from judo's educational background, and it's easier to intake as a western mindset person, IMO. Some folks disagree, and there you have it.

Larry Feldman 03-02-2014 03:09 PM

You should narrow the question down to what styles are available to you.

But even within styles there can be a large difference in instruction - you can get generalities (Stereotypes) about the styles, but a trip to the local practitioner will e required.

Sojourner 03-03-2014 11:09 PM

There is a good book for beginners of Aikido called "Aikido for Life" by Gaku Homma, in it he has a chapter called "Fried Rice" where he explains that you might call around to several chinese restarants and buy a serving of Fried Rice from each, that if you then put them next to one another on a table you would notice obvious differneces as each Chef has their own recipe and way of making Fried Rice, yet despite all being differnet styles, they are all still Fried Rice. The same is true of Aikido. I am very much still learning also about what the different styles are and as above, the only real way to know is to go and train in one of them and learn about Aikido in general and then be in a position to judge. Some styles of Aikido are considered soft styles and others like Yoshinkan are considered hard styles if that is any help to you.

lbb 03-04-2014 06:37 AM

Quote:

Larry Feldman wrote: (Post 335625)
You should narrow the question down to what styles are available to you.

This. Style differences are entirely a matter of academic discussion if you don't have a choice. Even if you do, don't expect that as a beginner you will find the differences really meaningful. It's not like buying a car, where you know what a car is and what it does and can make some intelligent decisions about what features you'll like/need, even if you've never owned one before. For a beginner, aikido is a new experience, conceptually. You can look at the brochures of the different models all you want, but it won't tell you much.

Edgecrusher 03-11-2014 11:12 AM

Like most have stated above, style differences are rarely indicated at a beginner level. Once you have been practicing for several years and attend seminars regularly you will begin to see the differences. Tomiki and Shodokan are the same, btw. I do find that you will be successful in aikido if this is the art you really want to learn.

jbelly 03-13-2014 02:07 PM

It would be great to find a dojo with many classes/day. I noticed that some dojos have morning, noon, and evening classes.

Shadowfax 03-18-2014 03:12 PM

Quote:

Derrick Fischer wrote: (Post 332655)
I want to start aikido, but there are a few things I am not clear about e.g how can there be different styles of aikido, if there are different styles which style is the best,

How can there be so many different flavors of ice crea, kinds of cars, ways to skin a cat?

People like to do, own, eat the thing that appeals most to their individual tastes. I think i the end there is only one style of aikido. The one that YOU as a individual develop for yourself over years of work. Do't worry about the style just worry about finding the right teacher for you. Whatever style he/she does will be your style until you find your own. :)