AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Aikido maneuver manual (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20960)

Yianie 03-08-2012 08:54 PM

Aikido maneuver manual

Hello, I'm starting to take lessons, but I can not be on the mat and still take notes. Is there a handbook of technics so I can refer when I'm off the mat? A great manual will be very helpful thank you.

Alic 03-08-2012 09:46 PM

Re: Aikido maneuver manual

My, you're quite the keener eh?

There's a few books published by several high profile masters (Gozo Shioda, the Ueshiba clan, Koichi Tohei, Kenji Tomiki, etc), I'm in Yoshinkan and so the beginner's course and the master's course books are great, since they explain the 150 basic techniques and the advance variations and secret teachings well, with photos of the movements in detail. It's no substitute for training, but it's great as a self-improvement aid. Another one that would benefit all styles of Aikido is Dynamic Aikido and Total Aikido.

Now, I know that Ki Society and Aikikai has books, but I'm not too sure about Shodokan or Iwama-ryu. You can check online catalogues of several bookstores like Indigo Chapters and see. They will usually have Aikido in the name so it should be relatively easy.

You can also use youtube. There's instructional videos online for several techniques. Many schools also publish their own videos online for their students and the general public. Aikido as a style is actually very open about teaching their techniques. I know several schools of martial arts that is totally closed to non-students, and does not allow their students to train in public. This is real bad for growth, as it will make your art less and less well known. You should take advantage of Aikido's openness and search everywhere. There's stuff all over the place. :)

Michael Hackett 03-08-2012 10:32 PM

Try "Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere" by Westbrook and Ratti. Regardless of style, it is a valuable resource for most.

robin_jet_alt 03-09-2012 01:05 AM

Quote:

Michael Hackett wrote: (Post 305022)
Try "Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere" by Westbrook and Ratti. Regardless of style, it is a valuable resource for most.

I agree. It is a very clear guide to a lot of different techniques. It is geared towards early ki-society training though (I think Ki Society has changed a bit since then, so correct me if I'm wrong), so it will be more or less useful depending on what style you do.

grondahl 03-09-2012 01:48 AM

Aikido and the dynamic sphere did not appeal to me at all. Sure the drawings are nice but the information in the book is not that good (sometimes directly misleading).

I would suggest:
Effortless Combat Throws by Cartmell (not aikido but discuss proper throwing technique regardless of style with more explanations, details and clarity than all aikido books that I´ve read).
Total Aikido by Shioda (especially the first part regarding principles)
New Edition of Takemusu Aikido by Saito
Yurusu Budo by Nishio
Living Aikido.

Hanna B 03-09-2012 02:11 AM

Quote:

John Vasos wrote: (Post 305016)
Hello, I'm starting to take lessons, but I can not be on the mat and still take notes. Is there a handbook of technics so I can refer when I'm off the mat? A great manual will be very helpful thank you.

If you want books, get books that are as close to your dojo's and teacher's style of aikido as possible. Otherwise it will just get you confused.The "style-less" approach in the first book Peter mentions above sounds great too, but perhaps not what the beginner usually has in mind.

robin_jet_alt 03-09-2012 03:24 AM

Quote:

Peter Gröndahl wrote: (Post 305025)
Aikido and the dynamic sphere did not appeal to me at all. Sure the drawings are nice but the information in the book is not that good (sometimes directly misleading).

I would suggest:
Effortless Combat Throws by Cartmell (not aikido but discuss proper throwing technique regardless of style with more explanations, details and clarity than all aikido books that I´ve read).
Total Aikido by Shioda (especially the first part regarding principles)
New Edition of Takemusu Aikido by Saito
Yurusu Budo by Nishio
Living Aikido.

If you aren't either doing Nishio aikido or you are already very experienced, I wouldn't recommend Yurusu Budo. A lot of what Nishio says is geared towards people who are already experienced, and it is quite different to many other styles. I got a lot out of this book, but only after training for 10 years and then training at a Nishio style dojo.

crbateman 03-09-2012 03:31 AM

Ask your primary instructor for his suggestions. There are many paths up the same mountain, and your instructional material should coincide with your instructor. There is nothing wrong with exploring different slants, but wait to do that until you have a grasp on the fundamentals as they are being taught to you, so you will be able to recognize and understand the differences. Doing so too soon will only serve to confuse you.

dalen7 03-09-2012 07:55 AM

Quote:

John Vasos wrote: (Post 305016)

Not a book, but perhaps give Aikido 3D a try as a reference. ;)

Peace

Dalen

Rob Watson 03-09-2012 01:01 PM

Write the manual yourself ... in your bones.

Yianie 03-09-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Dalen Johnson wrote: (Post 305046)
Not a book, but perhaps give Aikido 3D a try as a reference. ;)

Peace

Dalen

What is Aikido 3D?

phitruong 03-09-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Robert M Watson Jr wrote: (Post 305075)

wouldn't that hurt, like alot? :)

Conrad Gus 03-09-2012 02:58 PM

When you start doing aikido the movements feel unnatural. It takes 6 months to a year to get over it. There are so many techniques that trying to "remember" them is a chore. Aikido is not techniques, it is a way of movement. We learn the way of movement by practicing a LOT of techniques.

When I started, I asked my sensei about a book (it was "dynamic sphere"). He made a funny face and told me that the book was written by a 2 dan and a 3 dan (not very experienced). His advice: skip the books and come to the dojo. It needs to go into your body, not your brain, and it's going to take a while.

I am a total book lover and have always read books, but I still find that aikido books and videos are not very helpful. After all this time my aikido "library" is just a small handful of books, but training is still great. If you have a good teacher, just train. Youtube can be inspiring, but might not be that practically helpful and might actually make things more confusing.

I know many people love learning from multimedia, but it's my experience that it can be a bit of a red herring. Just relax, train, and enjoy the process. It will be a great feeling when things start to "click" eventually!

Demetrio Cereijo 03-09-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

John Vasos wrote: (Post 305083)
What is Aikido 3D?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v3vas8ofg8

Walter Martindale 03-09-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Phi Truong wrote: (Post 305085)
wouldn't that hurt, like alot? :)

Yeah - getting to the bones and then grinding it in with a Dremel.. Ouch
:D

messy, too...

dalen7 03-10-2012 01:55 AM

Quote:

Conrad Gustafson wrote: (Post 305087)
When you start doing aikido the movements feel unnatural. It takes 6 months to a year to get over it.

Indeed... ;)

SeiserL 03-10-2012 03:05 AM

Quote:

Clark Bateman wrote: (Post 305029)
Ask your primary instructor for his suggestions.

IMHO, Ditto!

sakumeikan 03-10-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Conrad Gustafson wrote: (Post 305087)
When you start doing aikido the movements feel unnatural. It takes 6 months to a year to get over it. There are so many techniques that trying to "remember" them is a chore. Aikido is not techniques, it is a way of movement. We learn the way of movement by practicing a LOT of techniques.

When I started, I asked my sensei about a book (it was "dynamic sphere"). He made a funny face and told me that the book was written by a 2 dan and a 3 dan (not very experienced). His advice: skip the books and come to the dojo. It needs to go into your body, not your brain, and it's going to take a while.

I am a total book lover and have always read books, but I still find that aikido books and videos are not very helpful. After all this time my aikido "library" is just a small handful of books, but training is still great. If you have a good teacher, just train. Youtube can be inspiring, but might not be that practically helpful and might actually make things more confusing.

I know many people love learning from multimedia, but it's my experience that it can be a bit of a red herring. Just relax, train, and enjoy the process. It will be a great feeling when things start to "click" eventually!

Dear Conrad,
May I point out to you and others that when the book ie Aikido an the dynamic sphere ' was written any person who had a second /third dan was in these days looked upon as practically a god? Today we have
seventh/eighth Dans /Shihan [some self promoted] springing up two a penny everywhere. Has your teacher written a book,if so , good , if not why be critical of a book[ which was useful reading material for someone looking for info ]and apparently shows little respect for both the authors of said book. Cheers, Joe

jackie adams 03-10-2012 05:52 PM

A surprise to me no one yet has mentioned Budo Training in Aikido by the founder? I guess, I am the first!

Malicat 03-10-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Jackie Adams wrote: (Post 305166)
A surprise to me no one yet has mentioned Budo Training in Aikido by the founder? I guess, I am the first!

I just ordered that from Amazon, and should be getting it Tuesday. :) Our schools have a list of recommended reading, so I'm picking up a few books a month off of the list. My problem with the books is that I am not experienced enough to understand some of what they are saying. I've read Aikido and the Harmony of Nature a few times, and I'm still not *getting* several chapters of it. So, I think the books are good to have when you are alone, but regular practice in a dojo is more useful. Plus having a teacher that is patient enough to explain parts of those books to you is also a nice thing to be able to rely on. :)

--Ashley

Autrelle Holland 03-12-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Robert M Watson Jr wrote: (Post 305075)

AGREE

Conrad Gus 03-12-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Joe Curran wrote: (Post 305160)
Dear Conrad,
May I point out to you and others that when the book ie Aikido an the dynamic sphere ' was written any person who had a second /third dan was in these days looked upon as practically a god? Today we have
seventh/eighth Dans /Shihan [some self promoted] springing up two a penny everywhere. Has your teacher written a book,if so , good , if not why be critical of a book[ which was useful reading material for someone looking for info ]and apparently shows little respect for both the authors of said book. Cheers, Joe

Haha, good point. I was one of the lucky ones to be taught from day one by a shihan -- not everybody gets that. I never did read the book, so I don't have a personal opinion. The authors of that book are probably pretty wicked teachers by now.

Also, point taken about useful reading material. Sometimes it's nice to have a reference work to just be able to identify names of techniques and stuff when you are just getting into aikido. Technical details would probably go over a beginner's head anyway.

Shadowfax 03-12-2012 12:27 PM

Iv'e gotten a pretty good collection of books on aikido and martial arts that have given me all kinds of useful insights but only two that listed techniques and one of those with illustrations.

Ultimate Aikido by Yamada sensei was given to me by a friend when I started. Not even the same style as what I practice but it proved extremely helpful to me in identifying the names of what we had done in class that night.

And Aikido the Peaceful martial Art by Stefan Stenudd has a really good aikido glossary in it and is also a really nice read for those just starting out. The glossary is also available on his website for free.http://www.stenudd.com/aikido/aikido-glossary.htm Most helpful in learning the right terminology.

But really the best way to learn aikido is to do aikido. :)

Yianie 03-12-2012 02:50 PM

Does anyone like or dislike AKIDO3D?

AiGuiAustin 07-23-2012 09:02 AM

I really like the idea of aikido 3D. I'm glad to see the price come down and might consider buying it soon. In the mean time however may i suggest another book? I've read all the books so far suggested on this page but have found this one to be ever more helpful. The writer has built from "Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere" and taken it to a farther, more comprehensive level. Just give it a try.
http://www.amazon.com/Aiki-Secrets-S...ev_itm_title_1