AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Peter R. in the movies (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9340)

PeterR 11-23-2005 07:55 PM

Peter R. in the movies

There is a German Japanese co-production about German prisoners of war in Japan during WWI. "Paradise of Bart" should be in theaters next June. As a lark I put my name in as an extra and I got a little more than I bargained for.

Tuesday I had my day of fame, fortune, babes and ....... well ok none of the above but I have my bit of screen time doing something other than sitting in seiza.

They had built a traditional (ie: 1916) dojo to exact detail. How does this differ from modern Judo dojos you may ask - well friend its all in the tatami or more to the point how thin you can get and still call it a mat. We are talking one maybe two centimeters on a non-sprung floor. You would think that a big movie production could fake it a little bit but noooooo they were going for authentic.

To make matters worse (for my poor butt) was that authentic extended into the randori ending in a throw - it had to look real. Even the rehersals had to look real although to my disgust the main actors seemed to be given easier throws. I was tossed about a dozen times. Practice and takes for the main throw and a second set of practice and takes for the point after I was thrown. These latter were only a tad more gentle then the actual throws as they wanted me in about the same position. Lines - I didn't have any although I am sure I could have screamed with a German accent if I wanted to.

Notes on the ukemi. Ok it stung a bit but mostly my hand where I slapped. I was quite surprised with how little pain my body was in at the end. My ankle was a bit bloodied but nothing serious and one elbow a little raw. The nage (a built like a brick shithouse Nidan with a cauliflower ear) ended up a bit raw from the way I grabbed his dogi so at least I had a bit of revenge. I will say that I got a bit proud of my ukemi but payback came the next day. My body hurt, and still does, like the devil. I ended up in a hot bath before Aikido class just to ease the pain and for the first time ever, turned down a request for some Judo randori by the Judo instructors at the Judo class before my group. We did discuss and try out the throws from the movie on those nice soft tatami (still not sprung).

Maybe he sees it different but there was a guy claming MMA and BJJ background that kept making comments about Aikido that stopped after the shooting. There were a whole series of extras whose sole job was to sit in seiza and watch. There were only 4 guys who were tossed and 2 doing the tossing. Of those all but myself were regulars on the set. After I got tossed the guy who was supposed to be next (in the movie) was a Grecco-Roman wrestler a few years back. I ended up preparing him so that he looked more like he knew what he was doing in the Judo context - mostly foot placement and posture.

So that was it. I spent the rest of the day wandering around in a leather jacket, shaved head and turtleneck sweater holding a cup of coffee (picture will be posted soon). I got "Damm you even look like a stuntman". Closest I got to adoration - you take what you can get.

xuzen 11-23-2005 08:15 PM

Re: Peter R. in the movies

Hello Peter,

Let me guess PeterR, was your character that of a nice little German POW who got thrown by some sadistic Japanese tea ladies? :D :D :D

I hope you enjoy the experience.

Boon.

Chuck Clark 11-23-2005 08:22 PM

Aw, hell... there's no livin with im now!

I was actually in a couple of war flicks as an extra when I was in Japan in the 60's. We had fun doing it for sure. I never even knew the names of the movies. I don't think they gave them names until way later...

PeterR 11-23-2005 08:29 PM

And just think I did all that without a pony tail or getting choked out. My energy drink will be beer flavoured.

Appologies to SS I couldn't resist.

It was an interesting day but I think (unless big money is offered) I'm going to file it under "been there, done that".

emma.mason15 11-24-2005 01:14 AM

ooo hark at him "been there done that!"
hey is uit just me or the dojo getting small?
oh .... no ... my mistake ... Peters egos just inflated and filled the room!
:D :D :D
ahhhh sounds like a fun day to me ....
now for my movie moments ........ :eek:

batemanb 11-24-2005 02:50 AM

I already have a photo of me standing beside Peter, taken before he even thought he was famous, can I have your autograph! :D:D:D

PeterR 11-24-2005 02:52 AM

For you Bryan - I'll waive my usual fee.

batemanb 11-24-2005 03:06 AM

too kind sir :D

Steve Mullen 11-24-2005 03:57 AM

Move over steven segal there is a new movie-doka in town.

(lights up on a dojo, broken bodies lay strewn around the tatami, the camera pans across the scene of devistation, in the middle of it all stands Peter, his gi glowing white, his hakama untouched, not a mark on his face)

Peter: "not bad for a warm up"

(end scene)

Good to see some more Doka on film Peter, whats this epic called? is it going to be released in the UK?

PeterR 11-24-2005 04:03 AM

As I said.

Quote:

Peter Rehse wrote:
There is a German Japanese co-production about German prisoners of war in Japan during WWI. "Paradise of Bart" should be in theaters next June. As a lark I put my name in as an extra and I got a little more than I bargained for.

Steve Mullen 11-24-2005 04:05 AM

:hypno: ooops, didn't see that bit :hypno:

darin 11-24-2005 09:18 AM

No love scene?

deepsoup 11-24-2005 10:58 AM

Quote:

Peter Rehse wrote:
It was an interesting day but I think (unless big money is offered) I'm going to file it under "been there, done that".

Who knows? Maybe you should get an agent, just in case. :)

Sean
x

Steven 11-24-2005 04:23 PM

I understand there was a love scence, howver sleeping with the bokken was a bit much for the producers...

:D

PeterR 11-24-2005 07:27 PM

Peter R. in the movies

1 Attachment(s)
Not the best pici but it was in front of the Dojo.

Charles Hill 11-24-2005 09:35 PM

Quote:

Peter Rehse wrote:
My energy drink will be beer flavoured.

sign me up!! Do we get a copy of the movie if we buy a case?

Charles

PeterR 11-24-2005 09:56 PM

oooo a marketing idea. First case goes to you Charles.

Lan Powers 11-25-2005 08:13 AM

Please reserve a case for me as well, Mr. Rehse. As I have often overheard the comments about me being "full of it", one can only conclude that "it" would include expertise in ALL areas.
So, have your people, call my people, we'll do lunch to discuss "It".
And as a final note, don't forget the immortal words of Mel Brooks..."Moichendising, where the REAL money from the movie is made!"
:)
Lan

happysod 11-25-2005 08:24 AM

..."Moichendising ..." Little Pocket Peter shododolls with removable hakama perhaps (real tanto-grip action)?

batemanb 11-25-2005 12:02 PM

Quote:

Ian Hurst wrote:
..."Moichendising ..." Little Pocket Peter shododolls with removable hakama perhaps (real tanto-grip action)?

Uuuuurgh, doesn't bare thinking about (pun intended ;)

Still if it's like Action Man (GI Joe for foreign cousins), it's probably very lifelike :D

:D:D:D:D

paw 11-25-2005 08:21 PM

Congrats!

Regards,

Paul

Jerry Miller 11-25-2005 10:57 PM

So did you get the girl? If not who did? Someone always gets the girl in the end.

deepsoup 11-26-2005 08:19 AM

Quote:

Ian Hurst wrote:

If they're proper shododolls, they'll come with the removable hakama already removed (and thrown away). :)

Chuck.Gordon 11-28-2005 07:00 AM

P. Rehse Bobbleheads ...

darin 11-28-2005 07:26 AM

Debbie does Dallas?