AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   the sphere of motion (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21826)

aiki-jujutsuka 10-06-2012 09:21 AM

the sphere of motion

Not sure whether this should go in this forum or in the techniques forum but one of my instructors, the head sensei of my wednesday dojo, has been teaching me just recently on the importance of motion. Now this struck me as being related to the more aiki part of our art as he explained about keeping a person off posture through constant motion. Now our two arts look quite different in practice at times and there is an emphasis within AJJ on small circles.The specific techniques that have been used as examples are kote gaeshi, shodan, nidan and yondan. So I wondered, in Aikido does the sphere of motion get smaller the more advanced you become? In other words when dealing with circular motion how large are the circles created and what is the reasoning behind applying techniques in this way?

Walter Martindale 10-06-2012 10:52 AM

Re: the sphere of motion

Anecdotally... Kawahara shihan used to have almost no movement visible at times and people would fly. The time he biffed me about I think the movements were pretty small but it all happened so fast. He would instruct at other times to make a BIG circular motion. Others have remarked that the movements get smaller as you get better - I haven't found that, personally, but then perhaps I'm not getting "better"...
W

sakumeikan 10-06-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Ewen Ebsworth wrote: (Post 316692)
Not sure whether this should go in this forum or in the techniques forum but one of my instructors, the head sensei of my wednesday dojo, has been teaching me just recently on the importance of motion. Now this struck me as being related to the more aiki part of our art as he explained about keeping a person off posture through constant motion. Now our two arts look quite different in practice at times and there is an emphasis within AJJ on small circles.The specific techniques that have been used as examples are kote gaeshi, shodan, nidan and yondan. So I wondered, in Aikido does the sphere of motion get smaller the more advanced you become? In other words when dealing with circular motion how large are the circles created and what is the reasoning behind applying techniques in this way?

Dear Ewen,
There is a time /place and situations where both types of motion are acceptable.Its a question of the relationship between uke /tori.It may well be that you ned to exercise a small movement eg ai hamni nikkyo. In others movemenys like kata dori shomenuchi the tai sabaki may well be larger.So I do not say that one method is superior to the other.Large /small circularity motion is acceptable. Joe.

robin_jet_alt 10-06-2012 05:49 PM

My teacher explained it as being like learning to write. Start of with big exaggerated shapes, and work your way smaller until you can write like an adult. Eventually, you even get to learn cursive. So, yes. I would say that things ought to get smaller as you get better. I'm sure there are exceptions, depending on the circumstances as Joe said though.

aiki-jujutsuka 10-08-2012 09:12 AM

Thank you for your responses. I like the analogy of learning to write. I have been learning this principle through the Shodan kata just recently. For example in Ude Osae Dori http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDwAPgzeSiM when I first began training, I was taking uke's arm in a high semi circle over my head before taking them to the ground and pinning them. Now, as Hobbs Sensei demonstrates here I apply my bodyweight, while cutting through the wrist causing pain and uke's compliance before taking the arm over and pinning them. I am constantly learning this principle of posture and bodyweight to applying an effective technique, especially when it comes to spherical or circular motion.