AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Brisbane Aikido (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22799)

aikido_diver 07-11-2013 06:29 PM

Brisbane Aikido

Hi Everyone,

I was an active member here some years ago, however I stepped off the mat due to work-life commitments as I'm sure many of you have had similar experiences.

However, I have recently moved to Brisbane, Australia (from Sydney) and looking to get back into Aikido training again. I had trained in Aikikai aikido, however was looking to expand a little more into Iwama-Ryu. Unfortunately there are no schools here to my knowledge, and was considering taking up Yoshinkan Aikido, as well as some Shinto Muso-ryu jōdo. Just wanted to hear your thoughts about this idea, and if there are some students here from Brisbane or from Yoshinkan Aikido I'd love to hear from you as well.

Cheers.

robin_jet_alt 07-11-2013 11:30 PM

Re: Brisbane Aikido

I train with a guy who did Yoshinkan in Brisbane before he moved to Tasmania. I've heard that his sensei was harsh and strict, but also very good. I'll ask him for more details when I get back to Australia. I'm in Japan at the moment.

danj 07-12-2013 04:59 AM

Quote:

Todd Allen wrote: (Post 328060)
Hi Everyone,

I was an active member here some years ago, however I stepped off the mat due to work-life commitments as I'm sure many of you have had similar experiences.

However, I have recently moved to Brisbane, Australia (from Sydney) and looking to get back into Aikido training again. I had trained in Aikikai aikido, however was looking to expand a little more into Iwama-Ryu. Unfortunately there are no schools here to my knowledge, and was considering taking up Yoshinkan Aikido, as well as some Shinto Muso-ryu jōdo. Just wanted to hear your thoughts about this idea, and if there are some students here from Brisbane or from Yoshinkan Aikido I'd love to hear from you as well.

Cheers.

There are three Aikikai schools following different shihan in Brisbane area, some are integrated with jodo/iai schools (e.g. baysidebudokai). Theres also takemusu - but not iwama lineage and SMR here as well. Drive north an hour to Palmwoods for SMR/aiki fusion.

Lots of other dojo too, Brisbane's pretty big..where you based??

best,
Dan

Carl Thompson 07-12-2013 02:38 PM

Hi Todd

I trained at Brisbane Aikikai a few years ago. I enjoyed the practice and there were some great people. I've also heard good things about the Yoshinkan dojo. I did a little Yoshinkan here in Japan and the 4th dan instructor said he went to Brisbane every year to train.

Regards

Carl

aikido_diver 01-22-2014 12:02 AM

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for your replies and input.

At present I am on the north side of Brisbane,but studying at UQ. I am heading to Japan next month for work, but upon return I think I will try Yoshinkan Aikido, and do some Jodo/Iai when I can.

Let me know what you think?!?

Carl Thompson 01-22-2014 05:49 AM

Quote:

Todd Allen wrote: (Post 334482)
Hi guys,

Thank you so much for your replies and input.

At present I am on the north side of Brisbane,but studying at UQ. I am heading to Japan next month for work, but upon return I think I will try Yoshinkan Aikido, and do some Jodo/Iai when I can.

Let me know what you think?!?

It sounds like you may have found what you are looking for. At least when I was there, the Brisbane Aikikai club also had Jodo and Iai although I only went to the aikido classes. Where will you be in Japan? Perhaps you could get some experiences there too.

Carl