AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Detroit Dojos (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9274)

Robert Townson 11-15-2005 01:53 AM

Detroit Dojos

Hi all,

I am visiting my father in Detroit over the christmas holidays. I was concidering visiting and training in a dojo while I am over there. Could anyone suggest any "good" ones or give me a couple of other option then those listed on the dojo search.

Also, what is the custome when visiting other dojo in another country. As I'm from the UK and do not train with an internationally assosiated will this cause a problem?

Chuck.Gordon 11-15-2005 04:40 AM

Re: Detroit Dojos

Get in touch with Peter Boylan. He lives in Trenton, just south of Detroit, and will probably know most of the good schools in the area. Don't think he himself has a regular dojo, but does teach classes (judo, jo and iai) from time to time.

peter (at) budogu (dot) com

Robert Townson 11-15-2005 05:03 AM

Kewl, thx. I'll drop him a mail.

Are there any guideline with regart to etiquette of contacting/attending another dojo. Letters from my sensei and the like?

Larry Feldman 11-15-2005 06:33 AM

Most dojo's are less formal than needing a letter from your Sensei, but an email in advance is nice if you can manage it. Might also let you know of any 'holiday scheduling' issues.

Adam Alexander 11-15-2005 11:51 AM

http://www.aikidoyoshokai.org/

There's a list of dojos on the website along with phone numbers.

I dont' know what Genyokan protocol would be, but I've just brought my best ettiquette to new dojos. That's gotten me by. Beer or liquor might get you further though.

Adam Huss 11-15-2005 03:53 PM

Hey,
They Yoshokai Dojo's would be pretty good to visit. They are run by a very talented practitioner named Kushida Takeshi Sensei. Not sure of his rank, 8th-9th dan-ish. He bases his organization off of Yoshinkan techniques with Yagyu Shinkage Ryu and Musou Ryu weapons. When people from my organization visit Yoshokai schools we go patchless and we a white belt. As a matter of fact, whenever I travel anywhere I always bring a dogi and white belt. There is the Anshinkan Dojo in, I think, Birmingham Michigan which is north of Detroit off of I-75. They do Yoshinkan Style Aikido as well as Iaido. Dojo Cho is Marcus Schoon, 4th Dan. They charge like $15 mat fee for guests though, at least they did when I visited there. There is the Kachikikan Dojo in Redford, Mi but that is at a middleschool, right after school gets out, and almost all students are of that age group (5-8th grade, with a couple of highschoolers and 2 adult teachers), also a Yoshinkan-based teaching. I can recomend the school where I was a live-in student at, its in Windsor, Canada...really close to Detroit, and right off of the Canada/USA bridge(oddly enough just south of Detroit). You can expect great training there, very friendly people, and larger class sizes (20-30's). Dojo-Cho is an 8th Dan there. If you head down to Ohio for any reason give contact me and I'd love to train with you...I might even be up to the Windsor dojo while your in Detroit, I'd be more than happy to introduce you around up there. My dojo in Ohio is more set up from Aikikai influence, based off of the AAA, Fumio Toyoda Sensei's organization, but we have heavy Yoshinkan Influence (as far as basic principals, philosophy, and techniques, but our testing and training methods are more of an aikikai format). I'm about 1.5 hrs from Windsor right now, so I go up there about 2x a month. Be forwarned that many dojo might be closed for the holidays though, so try to get in contact with the chief instructor or administrator/secretaries before you visit anyplace. Need any more info and let me know, I'd be more than happy to research some website/contact numbers for you, but right now I'm actually running late for class.
Osu!
~Adam

rachmass 11-16-2005 09:28 AM

and there are two aikikai dojos in the general area; one in Ann Arbor and the other in Lansing. both are about an hour from Detroit.

nathansnow 02-10-2006 10:11 AM

If your ever in town agian feel free to give Ryokukai a call and stop buy. Always open to visitors from any style or affiliation. You can find us on the dojo lookup. We are only about 20 - 30 minutes north of the heart of Detroit.

Nate

fanaraikido 02-10-2006 11:29 AM

We are only about 20 - 30 minutes north of the heart of Detroit.

and this is our website http://www.ryokukai.com/

:p Fanar

Adam Alexander 02-10-2006 01:08 PM

Quote:

Robert Townson wrote:
Hi all,

I am visiting my father in Detroit over the christmas holidays. I was concidering visiting and training in a dojo while I am over there. Could anyone suggest any "good" ones or give me a couple of other option then those listed on the dojo search.

Also, what is the custome when visiting other dojo in another country. As I'm from the UK and do not train with an internationally assosiated will this cause a problem?

So, which dojos did you visit?