AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Sense of balance at 41 (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14003)

CarlRylander 02-22-2008 05:28 AM

Sense of balance at 41

Has anyone here noticed that you lose a bit of your sense of balance once you get past forty?

It's harder to stand on one leg and put your socks on in the morning. You can do it, but it's harder. I know some people don't lose this ability - President Reagan boasted that he could still do it at seventy.

I don't think you need it as much for Aikido, though you do need it. You don't have to stand on one leg to deliver a kick, as in Karate.

Has anyone else noticed this?

SeiserL 02-22-2008 06:07 AM

Re: Sense of balance at 41

I started Aikido at 44.
I actually believed I gained better balance and equilibrium through training.
Use it or lose it.

phitruong 02-22-2008 07:38 AM

I spent so much time flat on the ground that balance did not matter much. folks would ask me why I get up slowly? my philosophy is why work against gravity. embrace gravity, lay on the floor and hug the earth give good balance.

the thing that worry me more than balance once you are pass 40 is how do I go about beating my kids at these wii games. Those young buggers are vicious. they don't cut the old man any slack.

happysod 02-22-2008 07:55 AM

its not so much the balance as the joints need persuading to move... with Lynn here, just damn the pain and the "can't" and get on with it, keep the option to not do it rather than have your body make the choice for you.

Phi, get out of bed you lazy bugger and leave the earth alone.

Marie Noelle Fequiere 02-22-2008 10:10 AM

Let me suggest a simple exercise that works wonders and doesn't take a lot of time.
Just stand on one leg and close your eyes. Try to keep your balance for as long as possible. Then, repeat with the other leg.
The first time, you will not be able to hold the position for more than a second or two. Do not get discouraged, do it everyday, and you will quickly improve . I've slipped in my bathtub and regained my balance thanks to this simple routine.
I'm forty six years old.

Marie Noelle Fequiere 02-22-2008 10:48 AM

Oh, and I forgot, good posture is essential for balance. Point your tailbone toward the floor and stretch your spine as if trying to touch the ceiling with the top of your head. Be careful not to push your chest forward and make sure to position your spine right on top of your supporting leg.

Don 02-22-2008 06:59 PM

Started when I was 39. Balance got better, joints got worse. Stretching and weights help. So does steam. I'm 52 now.

Kevin Leavitt 02-22-2008 07:42 PM

No, I am stronger and have a better sense of balance and control of core than I did 10 years ago.

Marie Noelle Fequiere 02-25-2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

Don McConnell wrote: (Post 199819)
Started when I was 39. Balance got better, joints got worse. Stretching and weights help. So does steam. I'm 52 now.

Are you serious? Your joints got worse? What is the cause for that? I do a lot of stretching and a little weight lifting. What else could I do to avoid joints problems?

Aiki Teacher 02-25-2008 01:16 PM

It seems my belly messe up my balance! Just kidding. Sinsce I have gotten older, I do struggle wiht allergies more than when I was younger plus I live in West Texas! I get a little dizzzy when my allergies are acting up, but my balance in the way you describe hasn't happened. You may want to see a doctor and make sure that it is not something else.

Aikibu 02-25-2008 09:57 PM

Ukemi Ukemi Ukemi....

At 47 the more I roll the better I maintain and improve my balance...

If my balance is suspect then I know I am not breathing correctly and I am disconnected from my own center (Hara)

20 minutes of rolling seems to cure that in almost anyone. LOL. Rolling brings your center back down from your chest into your bellybutton where it belongs.

As you get older keep a rolling along. :D

William Hazen

Kevin Leavitt 02-25-2008 10:00 PM

Oh, I forgot to add..with age also came the wisdom to stop taking that hard ukemi....it is for the other guy! :)

Takuan 02-26-2008 10:29 AM

I don't agree. Not only has my balance improved over the years (I started when I was 27, now I'm 43), I also started surfing when I turned 41. I thought that was going to be a real laughing matter! My wife has been surfing for a few years and she talked me into going. I'm already working on some maneuvers. I'm having a blast and have been getting praise from my instructors on my balance on the board.

Aikibu 02-26-2008 10:49 AM

Quote:

Christiaan Oyens wrote: (Post 200061)
I don't agree. Not only has my balance improved over the years (I started when I was 27, now I'm 43), I also started surfing when I turned 41. I thought that was going to be a real laughing matter! My wife has been surfing for a few years and she talked me into going. I'm already working on some maneuvers. I'm having a blast and have been getting praise from my instructors on my balance on the board.

Duuuuude...I have been surfing since I was a boy started Aikido in my late 20's both complement each other very very well....

Welcome to 'The Church of the Blessed Open Sky."

And surfing with your wife. Awsome. ! :)

William Hazen

Janet Rosen 02-26-2008 09:51 PM

Put me down as another vote for: improved balance. I started training at age 41. Now at age 53, though I have some disabilities, overall my sense of balance and my flexibility are better than when I was 40. And if I DO lose my balance, I don't get hurt falling!