AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   A tiny woman trying to be a fighter. (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20974)

ani 03-11-2012 01:11 PM

A tiny woman trying to be a fighter.

Hi all. :)

Janet Rosen 03-11-2012 05:47 PM

Re: A tiny woman trying to be a fighter.

Quote:

Amy Fong wrote: (Post 305211)
Hi all. :)

Greetings from a 5'2" budobabe formerly of Brooklyn, now on the Far Left Coast.
I understand wanting to train in a martial art....may I ask why you want to be a "fighter"?

JJF 03-12-2012 03:51 AM

Just want to second Janets comment. Makes me think of 'Million dollar baby' which I saw a couple of days ago... A fighter is something quite different than an aikido ka... In my book anyway :)

Rob Watson 03-12-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Jørgen Jakob Friis wrote: (Post 305263)
Just want to second Janets comment. Makes me think of 'Million dollar baby' which I saw a couple of days ago... A fighter is something quite different than an aikido ka... In my book anyway :)

We all must choose our own path.

Janet Rosen 03-12-2012 11:08 AM

I want to point out that I have not expressed any opinion. I have simply asked a question.

Henrypsim 03-29-2012 11:47 PM

Amy,
The core principle of Aikido is to dissolve conflicts. A story goes like this: A martial arts person had a fight with a Karate guy, lost and told his friends that he will train for the next 10 yrs and come back to fight again. He then had a fight with a Judo guy, lost and told his friends that he will train for the next 10 yrs and come back to fight the Judo guy again. Then he had an encounter (notice I use the word encounter) with an Aikido guy and lost but said nothing. His friends ask him why is it that he wasn't going to train for the next 10 yrs and fight again. His answer. "because we are friends now".

A fighter can mean a lot of things. In Aikido, you compete within yourself, trying to better yourself everyday. Not to win over others but to win over yourself.
If you really want to learn to defend yourself, the best way is learn how to shoot a hand gun. It is faster to learn and more deadly. Martial arts nowadays is not so much as to defend yourself against others than as to improve one's physical body and mental spirit. Just my opinion.

Rob Watson 03-30-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Henry Sim wrote: (Post 306665)
Martial arts nowadays is not so much as to defend yourself against others than as to improve one's physical body and mental spirit. Just my opinion.

Budo maybe. Martial arts is still about killing- always has been and always will be. When words are forced to morph into meaning whatever we want then they lose meaning.

Keith Larman 03-30-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Jørgen Jakob Friis wrote: (Post 305263)

No doubt that is absolutely true for many, even for many who think they're already fighters doing aikido. Keep in mind that for a few others, well, some of us see no contradiction in being a "good fighter" as well as doing it within the general framework of aikido. After all, Ueshiba was quite well known for his martial ability in addition to all the other stuff.

Abasan 03-31-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Henry Sim wrote: (Post 306665)
Amy,
The core principle of Aikido is to dissolve conflicts. A story goes like this: A martial arts person had a fight with a Karate guy, lost and told his friends that he will train for the next 10 yrs and come back to fight again. He then had a fight with a Judo guy, lost and told his friends that he will train for the next 10 yrs and come back to fight the Judo guy again. Then he had an encounter (notice I use the word encounter) with an Aikido guy and lost but said nothing. His friends ask him why is it that he wasn't going to train for the next 10 yrs and fight again. His answer. "because we are friends now".

A fighter can mean a lot of things. In Aikido, you compete within yourself, trying to better yourself everyday. Not to win over others but to win over yourself.
If you really want to learn to defend yourself, the best way is learn how to shoot a hand gun. It is faster to learn and more deadly. Martial arts nowadays is not so much as to defend yourself against others than as to improve one's physical body and mental spirit. Just my opinion.

Henry Sim, this is no tale... :)

Henrypsim 03-31-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Ahmad Abas wrote: (Post 306724)
Henry Sim, this is no tale... :)

I thought it was just a story to illustrate a point. Would love to hear what you know. Did I quote the story wrong? Could you share?