AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Spiky knees (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15616)

CarrieP 01-08-2009 08:03 PM

Spiky knees

My mister, also an aikidoka, got his knees torn up pretty bad during our dojo's New Years class. He says it really hurts too much to train right now. Any suggestions on pain relief, taping strategies or simply how to motivate him to train thru the pain?

Mark Gibbons 01-08-2009 09:20 PM

Re: Spiky knees

How about ice, rest and maybe seeing a doctor? Ending up unable walk because of knee abuse isn't a good idea.

Mark

lbb 01-09-2009 08:03 AM

I'd say it depends on what way they got torn up. As in missing skin and nasty oozing scabs, or as in joint pain and inflammation, or something completely different?

Janet Rosen 01-09-2009 09:34 AM

Training through the pain of injury is merely an invitation to turn an acute injury into a chronic injury. Since none of us can see or feel him, we cannot actually diagnose his injury. He should start with rest, ice, compression, elevation. If it is a soft tissue injury (muscle, tendon, ligament), my understanding is that the natural history of repair = 6 to 8 weeks.

CarrieP 01-12-2009 02:50 PM

It's just scabs b/c he tore the skin off on the mat. I'm the one with the occasional flare-up of knee tendonitis, which I'm keeping under fairly good control so long as the tracking on my knee is good.

Thanks for the info.

lbb 01-12-2009 06:57 PM

Carolyn, maybe Nuskin? Worth a try on a small area at least.

CarrieP 01-16-2009 07:16 AM

That might work. Thanks for the suggestions.

jennifer paige smith 01-16-2009 09:27 AM

What kind of surface are you folks practicing on?
Those sound like tatami scrapes.

Anywhoooo, you gotta wait for the injury to heal so you don't bleed all over yourself and the mat, which is unsanitary.

Then, how'za 'bout some knee pads?

Michael Hackett 01-16-2009 12:28 PM

At least we now know what "spiky knees" are. I had no clue. So yeah, rest abrasions and wear knee pads. Do knee work in moderation after they are healed up. There is an old product on the market called "cornhusker's lotion" that is pretty good for toughening skin. I don't recall if that is a brand name or a type of lotion, but it is a fairly effective product and should be available in your local pharmacy.

Howard Popkin 01-16-2009 02:57 PM

Total knee replacement.

The only way to go :)

LOL

David Orange 01-16-2009 04:03 PM

Quote:

Howard Popkin wrote: (Post 223679)
Total knee replacement.

The only way to go :)

LOL

Got your done yet? Hope it goes smoothly for you!

Actually, I heard of a guy who had some kind of therapy done to make his knee re-grow its own cartilage. Don't know how that worked. I'd like to find out more about that. I could probably use some extra cartilage....

David