AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Weapons (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   When to start training (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2307)

Sennover 08-08-2002 07:36 AM

When to start training

After starting Aikido training? when should I start training with a weapon?

Should I do it as soon as possible or should I wait and try to ba good at aikidio before trying to weild a weapon.

I have heard quite a bit of the Jo and the story of Miyamoto Musashi, and I was wondering if the Jojutsu that we can learn in Aikido is more or less the same as the technics created by the man that defeated Musashi with this weapon, or does it just take the basics of the Jo and follow a whole other style than the "classic" one.

Altough I am quite convinsed that I'll try training with the Jo, I am still curious to know what kind of styles do you find when training with a sword in Aikido.
DO e find classical styles like Kempo and such or again does Aikido have it's own styles of sword fightinng?

And one last question just of curiosity: do we find the nunchaku in Aikido training ? I know that it's a weapon crerated for the SHaolin Kung Fu but I just wanted to know if it had been imported in some of the japaneses martial arts

Thanks. Senn.

Genex 08-08-2002 08:47 AM

i guess thats all down to your sensei, we did some tanto training within a few weeks, although it was mainly defence work, we have now done some bokken work but i dont beleive we'll do any Jo work for quite some time i beleive until at least 4th Kyu

like i say tho it will differ with each sensei.

(start of really bad chinese accent)

Have paitience glassdropper or you will never move to the grill.

sorry ;)

pete

SeiserL 08-08-2002 08:59 AM

IMHO, you should start training in weapons when you Sensei starts instructing you in them. They are an extension of you hand techniques, so learn them first. Other arts (FMA: Kali, Escrima, Arnis) start with weapons and then moves to hands. Follow your instruction, that why you are there.

Until again,

Lynn

erikmenzel 08-08-2002 09:51 AM

Re: When to start training

Quote:

Sebastien Steen wrote:
After starting Aikido training? when should I start training with a weapon?

Should I do it as soon as possible or should I wait and try to ba good at aikidio before trying to weild a weapon.

Start training a weapon when your teacher starts teaching it in class (Asuming your club does weaponstraining).
Quote:

And one last question just of curiosity: do we find the nunchaku in Aikido training ? I know that it's a weapon crerated for the SHaolin Kung Fu but I just wanted to know if it had been imported in some of the japaneses martial arts
I have never seen nunchakus in aikido, but that does not necessairly mean it does not exist or no-one is training that. Have seen people use tanto, ken, jo, umbrella, handfans and chopsticks.

mike lee 08-08-2002 09:56 AM

when?

When your teacher tells you. :do:

Leslie Parks 08-08-2002 10:54 AM

Weapons Training

IMHO---Incorporate weapons training as soon as it is available to you. That, of course, depends on how your instructor/dojo presents weapons as part of the curriculum. If in doubt, ask.

Don_Modesto 08-08-2002 12:03 PM

Quote:

Sebastien Steen wrote:
I was wondering if the Jojutsu that we can learn in Aikido is more or less the same as the technics created by the man that defeated Musashi with this weapon, or does it just take the basics of the Jo and follow a whole other style than the "classic" one.

It's different. The jo style you mention is Shindo Muso Ryu. It's taught in some dojo, I believe Chuck Clark's dojo incorporates it, but it's not the jo of Osensei.

Sennover 08-12-2002 06:25 AM

Thanks

THank you for answering guys,

I've checked it with some Aikidokas that I met and they to said that it depended on wich Sensei they had and some had started earlier than others, I just wanted to know if there was a recomended time or not.

But I'll just have to wait and see how my Sensei will teach the art this fall.

Thanks again.

David Worsley 08-17-2002 02:50 PM

Having trained for very many years in both aikido and the weapons thought to be traditionally Japanese, I would suggest that the two should if at all possible run concurrently. Bokken (katana) and jo work improves timing, rhythm, posture and the accuracy of your targetting. They will also enable you to identify the roots of many aiki techniques, as O`Sensei himself was a great proponant of weapons. This is an activity that should not be started in isolation, nor without the express guidance of an accredited instructor and your Sensei. As he/she may have a very specific training regime in which weapons may play a part.

My Sensei always reminds us to look at the Tai Jitsu that developes from the use of weapons.