AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   I'm losing my dojo... (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13009)

Jess McDonald 08-02-2007 10:58 PM

I'm losing my dojo...

yeah, that's right. :( Sensei is relocating. What to do now?? I hate change. :) Any words of wisdom or some such lame touchy-feelly advice to get over losing a rare sanctuary and having to start all over??

Dirk Hanss 08-03-2007 01:23 AM

Re: I'm losing my dojo...

I am sorry for that Jess.

Just recognise that Aikido is constant change. If you hate changes, probably the Kami made your sensei move to teach you a lesson. Accept it and move on to new chances and new adventures.
Hopefully they are related to Aikido ;)

Best regards

Dirk

P.S. There is no need to see it esoterically. But the fact is out there and now it is your turn to make the step forward.

SeiserL 08-03-2007 05:12 AM

Sorry to hear about your loss. Grieve it. Let it go.
To honor your Sensei, continue to train.

My Sensei didn't relocate, but I did.
I honor him by continuing the journey he started me on.

Find a new Dojo, may with Sensei's help and blessing.

Cyrijl 08-03-2007 07:08 AM

Do 2000 breakfalls. After that everything else should become a blur.

I definitely understanding having to change schools for unseen reasons (relocating, moving, etc)

Qatana 08-03-2007 09:18 AM

Jess, you're at Sonaoma State, right? Do you mean the club at school or the parent dojo? IIRC, that would be Trad. Aikido of Santa Rosa? Because there is a satellite dojo in Petaluma, or was, last time I looked. If its the school club, any reason you can't go to Santa Rosa? I'm sure there is public transportion.
And of course you are always welcome to come train with us at Aikido of Petaluma. Not too different from Iwama style for you to have problems.

Jess McDonald 08-04-2007 09:12 PM

Hi Guys!! :) Thanks for your words they're right on the money!! As for Jo Adell's post...
It's Eric Zmarzly's dojo in Petaluma not the SSU dojo; although I do regularly train with a guy that does train at SSU as well as with us. SR and Napa are always options concerning Sugawara style; as well as yours (no weapons though right??).
Anyhoo, I'm not so butt-hurt today as I was yesterday and as always will move on and adapt ( or some such junk like that!) ;)

Qatana 08-05-2007 08:19 AM

Oh, I'm sorry to see Eric leave! He trained with us a few times before opeining his dojo, I always loved watching his ukemi.
Yes, you have many options, thats for sure.
And we do have weapons, but only once a month, we do Iwama style weapons though, so you'd probably be better than we are!

gdandscompserv 08-05-2007 09:39 AM

I lost my dojo about 10 years ago.

tarik 08-06-2007 09:33 AM

Quote:

Lynn Seiser wrote: (Post 185395)

While there are times to do each, I'd say the most important ones are show up and train.

I can't imagine why one should shut up or not compare, generally speaking. Certainly there are times when shutting up quite appropriate, but without various forms of comparing, progress will be minimal and what will be learned may not be what one wants to learn.

If you hadn't guessed, I'm not a proponent of politically correct "that's not better or worse, it's just different." Sometimes it is just different, sometimes it is better, sometimes it is worse.

Jess, good luck finding what you need. There are certainly a lot of aikido organizations going on in your area, but if you have a specific and important connection to your teacher, preserve it.

Regards,