AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Rude Noises and other offending stuff in class (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15946)

Buck 03-28-2009 12:01 AM

Rude Noises and other offending stuff in class

I got back from training and I am so tired of offending smells, noises, and habit of people that are damn distracting. My 11 most offensive.

1. Farting: everyone one laughs (if it is audible) until it offends the Olafactory

2. Burping: noise distraction and unpleasant to hear

3. Unclean stained gi pants

4. Unclean and OB laden smelly gi

5. Body Odor

6. Poor personal hygiene: long or dirty toenails or fingernails, no bathing, not washing hands after restroom use, etc.

7. For the lack of a better term, the uke orgasming sounds.

8. Overdosing use of perfume and colone

9. Feet and nose picking then training without cleaning

10. Urine stained gi pant after using restroom

11. Walking barefoot into the restroom then on to the mat

Walter Martindale 03-28-2009 01:15 AM

Re: Rude Noises and other offending stuff in class

Quote:

Philip Burgess wrote: (Post 227324)
I got back from training and I am so tired of offending smells, noises, and habit of people that are damn distracting. My 11 most offensive.

1. Farting: everyone one laughs (if it is audible) until it offends the Olafactory

5. Body Odor

6. Poor personal hygiene: long or dirty toenails or fingernails, no bathing, not washing hands after restroom use, etc.

Hmmm
Well... 1. We're mammals. Mammals fart - vegetarian mammals' farts don't smell as much as carnivorous mammals' farts because of the sulfur in the meat. True, it's rude, but if some people had to leave the room every time they had to toot, they'd never leave the toilets.
2. yeah - rude...
3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11 - spot on - to add to 9 - using toilet and not cleaning. you want to grab my wrist after you've done THAT? No wonder a shihan I know washes his hands and wrists with soap and water after teaching a seminar with us white barbarians.

7. Some dojos I've been to suggest that this "uhhh" sort of sound that comes from an uke is something he/she can't help when the balance has truly been taken. It may just be an indication that nage's technique was spot on (positive feedback). It may, on the other hand, be play acting (see? I can sound like I've been kuzusihi'd)

W

Michael Douglas 03-28-2009 04:17 AM

That's disgusting Philip, making us read that list.
I feel the need to scour ...

12. Dirty List of filthy stuff.

Marc Abrams 03-28-2009 08:06 AM

Philip:

Thank you for sharing! I am sure that humanity will do it's utmost to try and not offend you in the future.

Marc Abrams

John Matsushima 03-28-2009 10:06 AM

These are some of the things that happens when people say they don't need the spiritual side of Aikido, and just want to learn technique.

Guilty Spark 03-28-2009 11:24 AM

Heavy make up

mathewjgano 03-28-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

I got back from training and I am so tired of offending smells, noises, and habit of people that are damn distracting...

Yeah, cleanliness is a pretty nice thing. I like it when folks smell more like Tiger balm than old socks...and the orgasmic ukemi always makes me chuckle...especially when I catch myself doing it! Hey it feels nice ok!?
I'm not trying to imply anything here, but I personally get frustrated when training with folks who are easily distracted....probably a case of disliking in others what I dislike most about myself though.

lbb 03-28-2009 06:17 PM

Quote:

(disgusting list mercifully elided)

Holy Hannah, what the heck kind of place do you train???

Lyle Laizure 03-28-2009 06:43 PM

Sounds like a place I would avoid in the future.

mickeygelum 03-29-2009 01:21 AM

...and the "Buck" stops there! :crazy:

Ron Tisdale 03-29-2009 06:09 PM

Waaaaaaaaaaa.......

Move along, nothing to smell here...

B,
R

philippe willaume 03-30-2009 03:21 AM

Quote:

5. Body Odor

You know people pay good money for that in London.

My hart and mind goes to our BJJ friend when especially when they are in a north- south.

That being said there is nothing more gratiffying that letting one rip and have someonelse get the wrap for it.

phil

Michael Douglas 03-30-2009 07:38 AM

Did you see the youtube of the guy 'staining' himself in JJ competition?

SmilingNage 03-30-2009 09:05 AM

It would have to be someone who insists on having a conversation when its your turn to be Nage. You want to talk do when you are Nage.

Someone who tries to instruct during seminars when their name isnt on the seminar flyer.

gdandscompserv 03-30-2009 10:30 AM

intolerance???

Buck 03-30-2009 10:57 PM

Quote:

William Oakes wrote: (Post 227443)
It would have to be someone who insists on having a conversation when its your turn to be Nage. You want to talk do when you are Nage.

Someone who tries to instruct during seminars when their name isnt on the seminar flyer.

The orgasming sounding uke is annoying, "Ohhhh yea...you got it, you got, keep it...yea keep it....right... there....ohhhh yea... right there....perfect. That is not as bad as what William said, that has to be the number one offending thing.

Neal Earhart 03-31-2009 11:10 AM

Quote:

There is no excuse for wearing dirty/smelly gi's while training with other people. :mad: :grr:

You practice...then you take your gi home and you wash it before you wear it again...it's that simple.

None of this garbage..."Well, I didn't sweat...so no need to wash my gi...I can wear it again." Wrong !!

And while you are it, take the time to sew/patch any holes in your gi and/or hakama...

ramenboy 03-31-2009 11:34 AM

hahahaha

i had one sempai who would say in the middle of practice, 'when i go to adjust the weapons on the rack, don't follow me...'

aikibudo 03-31-2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

John Matsushima wrote: (Post 227339)
These are some of the things that happens when people say they don't need the spiritual side of Aikido, and just want to learn technique.

and whats wrong with just learning technique?

Ketsan 03-31-2009 04:17 PM

Quote:

Aaron Hillock wrote: (Post 227516)
and whats wrong with just learning technique?

You end up with a brown stain in your pants when you come to actually use it.

aikibudo 03-31-2009 06:21 PM

Quote:

Alex Lawrence wrote: (Post 227530)

....right:rolleyes:

Buck 03-31-2009 07:03 PM

I visited and goofed around at an MMA school. They where the cleanest and most sanitary, conscientious place I was ever at. Staph infections can be pretty ugly.

I don't know about some of you, but it does bother me the lack of personal hygiene and rude behavior. I didn't even mention picking at feet, picking a nose, digging at a gi wedgie and more on the mat and not cleaning the hands before training. Aikido is a Japanese martial art and all I can think of is how the westerners in the movie Shogun where looked at by the Samurai.

To each is his own, don't let me stop anyone from training with someone who isn't polite and passes gas right there on the mat. Which reminds me. The first Aikido dojo I went to made everyone clean their feet. A fresh clean water basin was at the edge of the mat. You would remove your shoes, then was with soap and water your feet with a clean wash cloth and dry with a fresh towel. The Sensei was really into personal hygiene and expected it from the students. And would admonish anyone for passing gas, burping etc. as being very rude. He trained in Japan, his wife was Japanese. She was the one giving out the clean clothes and towels to the student.

I remember asking why this ritual cleaning thing so important, and his wife came down on me so hard for even asking why. What I remember the most of what she said was, this is Japanese budo. I think it is pretty clear what she meant. That is what I considered one of the most important lesson in Japanese and Aikido, that personal hygiene is taken seriously.

FWIW, some of you will never have to worry about me visiting your dojo. :yuck:

lbb 03-31-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Philip Burgess wrote: (Post 227543)

Yes, well, while we're critiquing each other's manners, I've always felt it was the height of rudeness to refuse an invitation that hasn't been proffered (the implication being, "Your <fill in the blank...dojo in this case>, about which I really know nothing at all, is beneath me, and the very idea of an invitation is such an insult that I'm going to preemptively refuse it in the most insulting possible terms.").

Flintstone 04-01-2009 05:01 AM

Quote:

Alex Lawrence wrote: (Post 227530)

Really? Is that so?

philippe willaume 04-01-2009 06:45 AM

Quote:

Philip Burgess wrote: (Post 227543)
I visited and goofed around at an MMA school. They where the cleanest and most sanitary, conscientious place I was ever at. Staph infections can be pretty ugly.

I don't know about some of you, but it does bother me the lack of personal hygiene and rude behavior. I didn't even mention picking at feet, picking a nose, digging at a gi wedgie and more on the mat and not cleaning the hands before training. Aikido is a Japanese martial art and all I can think of is how the westerners in the movie Shogun where looked at by the Samurai.

To each is his own, don't let me stop anyone from training with someone who isn't polite and passes gas right there on the mat. Which reminds me. The first Aikido dojo I went to made everyone clean their feet. A fresh clean water basin was at the edge of the mat. You would remove your shoes, then was with soap and water your feet with a clean wash cloth and dry with a fresh towel. The Sensei was really into personal hygiene and expected it from the students. And would admonish anyone for passing gas, burping etc. as being very rude. He trained in Japan, his wife was Japanese. She was the one giving out the clean clothes and towels to the student.

I remember asking why this ritual cleaning thing so important, and his wife came down on me so hard for even asking why. What I remember the most of what she said was, this is Japanese budo. I think it is pretty clear what she meant. That is what I considered one of the most important lesson in Japanese and Aikido, that personal hygiene is taken seriously.

Well,
You are not going to go like Wimbledon female single final then.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97Aey8P7CaI

If you are that bothered about it, don't tell us; tell the crowd you train with.
It will be more productive. I realise it might be bloody well hard for them as they are very likely to stink in any case as per pet peeve 5 and 8, but it is worth a try.

It may come as a stunner, but the vast majority of us do wash both ourselves every day and their kit in between training sessions. On the same vein it is not a widely spread goal to give a farting rendition of toccata and fugues in re minor each time one does step onto the mat. But as the saying goes crap happens.

Now if you train hard you will sweat, that is even how you know you did.
And all of us keep a fart in whilst seating in seiza, it is mush much harder when you are at the receiving end of jije garami koshinague.

Phil