AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Testing (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   What is expected from a beginner? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16205)

trademark8806 05-21-2009 09:04 PM

What is expected from a beginner?

what is relly expected from a person whom has trand for abotu 1 moth and half?

Janet Rosen 05-21-2009 09:35 PM

Re: question

Ask you instructor.
I would expect good ettiquette and beginning to feel comfortable with some basic footwork and basic rolls.

Joe Bowen 05-22-2009 01:38 AM

That's a good answer, Jim. I might have to use that one later...

ruthmc 05-22-2009 04:02 AM

Quote:

Tara Marsh wrote: (Post 230583)
what is relly expected from a person whom has trand for abotu 1 moth and half?

To listen to Sensei and to do your best :) To help clear up at the dojo after training. To observe those students senior to yourself and learn good habits from them.

Ruth

Randy Sexton 05-22-2009 03:03 PM

You know where the Dojo is!
You know how to put on the Dogi
You are learning where to stand, how to bow, how to be polite, how to begin to roll without killing yourself, and most importantly how to have fun and realize how cool this is!
Doc

Mark Uttech 05-25-2009 01:56 AM

Onegaishimasu. Even something simple, like using spell check before posting, is one of the first mistakes we're going to make and notice right away. To continue anyway is a brave act; already progress.

In gassho,

Mark

trademark8806 05-25-2009 05:47 PM

Quote:

Mark Uttech wrote: (Post 230700)
Onegaishimasu. Even something simple, like using spell check before posting, is one of the first mistakes we're going to make and notice right away. To continue anyway is a brave act; already progress.

In gassho,

Mark

I did run a spell check.... Not that it should matter if you can read what I say well enoff to answer my question, but I do have dislexia and Auntory Porsing disorder... both make is so that even spell cheek dose not help my speeling much and my Dragon Planly Specking dose not work on here , so apliges for the sppelling. Howver , you faild to aswer the question posed to you, wich is the point of a forom to discouse the topic at hand not to pick on the one asking , sir. Just to let you know .

Michael Hackett 05-25-2009 07:33 PM

Tara,

With a month and a half of training under your belt, I imagine that your Sensei expect you to keep showing up for class, on time, and ready to train. You are expected to watch, listen and try your best to perform the skills demonstrated. You are expected to have learned some of the dojo practices and policies. You are fortunate to have a terrific Dojo Cho and two fine instructors in your school. They will make sure you are receiving what you need. They will certainly explain their expectations of you at this and future stages of your training. Just keep showing up and giving your best effort.

dps 05-25-2009 08:16 PM

How to stand still in right or left hamni without falling over when pushed.

David

trademark8806 05-25-2009 10:06 PM

thankyou all for your relplys

Mark Uttech 05-26-2009 10:22 AM

Onegaishimasu. A month and a half of training only counts if you train every day for a month and a half. Every day is just that day, and a chance to be aware of what is going on around and within you. Not all spell checkers work; every new technology is a work in progress.

In gassho

Mark

trademark8806 05-26-2009 01:10 PM

Quote:

Michael Hackett wrote: (Post 230727)
Tara,

With a month and a half of training under your belt, I imagine that your Sensei expect you to keep showing up for class, on time, and ready to train. You are expected to watch, listen and try your best to perform the skills demonstrated. You are expected to have learned some of the dojo practices and policies. You are fortunate to have a terrific Dojo Cho and two fine instructors in your school. They will make sure you are receiving what you need. They will certainly explain their expectations of you at this and future stages of your training. Just keep showing up and giving your best effort.

Have you traind at the dojo before wich i attend?

Michael Hackett 05-26-2009 04:48 PM

No Tara, I haven't trained at your dojo, but with your folks. Your dojo is now affiliated with Sato Sensei and the Aikido World Alliance. It used to be affiliated with our parent organization, the AAA. I consider your teachers to be good friends and I have several acquaintances training at your dojo now. You are fortunate to have found Nakagawa Sensei, Steve and Laura! They will guide you well.

Best wishes

trademark8806 05-26-2009 05:05 PM

Quote:

Michael Hackett wrote: (Post 230837)
No Tara, I haven't trained at your dojo, but with your folks. Your dojo is now affiliated with Sato Sensei and the Aikido World Alliance. It used to be affiliated with our parent organization, the AAA. I consider your teachers to be good friends and I have several acquaintances training at your dojo now. You are fortunate to have found Nakagawa Sensei, Steve and Laura! They will guide you well.

Best wishes

Oh, ok, I was just courious cause you seem to know about it.

ninjaqutie 05-27-2009 12:57 PM

I would say the very basics. Can you rei? Can you speak the basic polite Japanese terms? Do you know the basic stances and motions? Your ukemi and techniques aren't supposed to be spectacular at this point in your training. Your will, drive, dedication and attendance are more likely to be judged.