AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Did Bruce Lee train in aikido at all? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5391)

Jeremy Gelman 04-21-2004 09:01 PM

Did Bruce Lee train in aikido at all?

Do any of you know if Bruce lee trained in aikido at all?

I have Lee's book, "The Tao Of Jeet kune Do"--a truly terrific book--and it has one picture of a man in what looks like a hakama doing "ikyo ura waza". I just wondered.....

PeterR 04-21-2004 10:15 PM

Re: Did Bruce Lee train in aikido at all?

There was a guy on Aikido-l that claimed to have taught Aikido to Bruce Lee. William something. The guy came across as a bit full of it but maybe they had a couple of encounters.

Chris Birke 04-21-2004 10:39 PM

I know Bruce encountered Aikido; I've seen his sketches of numerous aikido techniques and ukemi in his books. Not sure how much how how long he studied it.

Its not part of core jkd, and not very much a part of progressive either.

p00kiethebear 04-22-2004 01:48 AM

I remember in an old interview with bruce lee he mentions aikido several times along with other martial arts. No idea as to what, if any, training he had was.

tiyler_durden 04-22-2004 06:17 AM

I am pretty sure he trained in Aikido as i too have seen the Tao and there is disticnt Aikidoka in there!
If you look at the two styles they are quite simalar as in angles of defence etc.

I belive so!

Tiyler-durden

ian 04-22-2004 09:00 AM

Just because he does 'aikido' techniques doesn't mean he did aikido. 'Kung-fu' styles have techniques very similar to aikido within them. I know what we call 'ikkyo' was one of Bruce Lees favourite practical techniques. The techniques we do in aikido are in no way unique. Ikkyo is in karate, taekwondo, kung-fu, tai-chi and probably in many many others. I don't think any technique in aikido is unique to aikido/aiki-jitsu.

Also, if someone was wearing a hakama it just suggest they are doing a traditional japanese martial art.

Ian

SeiserL 04-22-2004 09:07 AM

I trained with first generation JKD Ted Lucaylucay, he often said the Bruce looked at all martial arts, but he made, and I can find no, direct reference to him actually training in Aikido.

IMHO, concepts of great fighting are the common denominator and can be found in any system.

Fred Little 04-22-2004 02:05 PM

Prior to joining the Lakers, Kareem Abdul Jabbar trained at NY Aikikai for a period of time. After moving to LA, he studied with Bruce Lee.

That's at least one specific point of contact through which Lee may have had exposure to and drawn elements from aikido as he found them useful.

Fred Little

Erik 04-22-2004 04:07 PM

Quote:

Fred Little wrote:
Prior to joining the Lakers, Kareem Abdul Jabbar trained at NY Aikikai for a period of time. After moving to LA, he studied with Bruce Lee.

That's at least one specific point of contact through which Lee may have had exposure to and drawn elements from aikido as he found them useful.

Fred Little

Interesting, I didn't know that! When did he train at the NY Aikikai? Kareem was traded to the Lakers on 6/16/75 and Bruce Lee died on 7/20/73. He did go to UCLA so it's not surprising that he spent a good deal of time in LA.

I guess that leaves the late 60's or early 70's as the answer to my question.

Jeremy Gelman 04-22-2004 07:14 PM

Hey guys, I just browsed through a similar post on the forum and it is reputed that Bruce Lee said that "Aikido is the perfect martial art"!

If it's true that he said that, there is no reason why someone like him, so open-minded and "accepting everything", shouldn't have took some things from aikido and encorporated it into his JKD.

There are also numerous reports like "I taught Bruce aikido" or "I trained aikido with Bruce". What Bruce probably did NOT do was officially "take" aikido. What I mean is, he probably didn't take any ranks or anything. I suspect he just casually learned or trained with some masters or something...

Anyways, this guy was absolutely the most amazing martial artist! He was so open to everything it's hard to believe! He took so many things from so many martial arts that everything is now shrouded in mystery.