AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Tamura's warm up (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11211)

jss 10-28-2006 01:49 AM

Tamura's warm up

Tamura's seminars often (always?) begin with about half an hour of mostly slow warm up exercises. Has anyone ever heard Tamura explaining these exercises? It would be nice to learn how to do these correctly, in stead of being puzzled while copying the movements as most people seem to do.
And does anyone have a video or pictures of Tamura doing these exercises? That would be really helpful.

Joep

jimbaker 10-28-2006 07:27 AM

Re: Tamura's warm up

Hey Joep,

I believe they are Do-In (or Daoyin) exercises.

JIM

jss 10-28-2006 12:58 PM

Quote:

Jim Baker wrote:
I believe they are Do-In (or Daoyin) exercises.

And a quick wiki search shows that the Daoyin exercises were later developed into chi gongs / nei gongs. So I gues I'll have to reread all the ki, kokyu, etc, threads... :-)
Thanks for the reply, but I was hoping for something more specific.

Fred Little 10-28-2006 01:34 PM

There are actually a couple of books out there, out of print but still available.

I (literally) picked up a copy at a garage sale a few years back and started paging through out of idle curiousity. A few pages in, I thought, "pieces of this look an awful lot like a standard aikido warmup, but there's much more detail here."

That book was:

The Ancient Tradition of Do-In 1 by Jacques de Langre

It deals primarily with hand and foot auto-massage technique.

The second volume is:

Do-in II by Jacques de Langre

There are others in the series, but these are the only two that I know to be available.

Definitely a period piece. I haven't seen a a one-piece short-shorts jumper like the one on the model for the photographs in more than a couple of decades.....

But what relationship Mr. De Langre's work has to traditional Chinese Dao Yin or to Tamura's workout I couldn't say.....

FL

markwalsh 10-28-2006 06:41 PM

Know where to find clips of Tamura Shihan online? Not much on Youtube.com etc

Stefan Stenudd 11-24-2006 10:36 AM

Tamura sensei's warm-ups are very rewarding and fascinating. At the seminar he had in our dojo last year, he actually explained quite a lot. Unfortunately, I have to confess that I don't trust my understanding well enough to try to repeat it.
Me too, I have the impression that they are do-in exercises. Michio Kushi has written a book about do-in that I have found worth reading: "The Book of Do-In".

sakumeikan 05-16-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Joep Schuurkes wrote: (Post 156957)
Tamura's seminars often (always?) begin with about half an hour of mostly slow warm up exercises. Has anyone ever heard Tamura explaining these exercises? It would be nice to learn how to do these correctly, in stead of being puzzled while copying the movements as most people seem to do.
And does anyone have a video or pictures of Tamura doing these exercises? That would be really helpful.

Joep

Dear Joep,
I could be wrong but I think I have video material of Tamura Sensei warm up.I have attended some courses with him where he did the various movements.Cheers, Joe
Ps I also have material of Sekiya Sensei doing various body work possibly related to Setai body work.Chiba Sensei also has breathing techniques which stimulate the inner organs.I have these againon video.Cheers,Joe.

sakumeikan 05-16-2012 03:24 PM

Dear All,
As far as Do -in is concerned check out Rufus May on You tube. I looked at his video and personally I do the same basic warm up in my own Aikido training.Hope somebody finds the Tube video of value,
Cheers, Joe.