AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Crossing the Floating Bridge of Heaven (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21814)

David Orange 10-10-2012 10:27 PM

Re: Crossing the Floating Bridge of Heaven

Quote:

Diana Frese wrote: (Post 316674)
Thought I would mention this: just found Chris Li's recent thread on the Floating Bridge, and will study it too. It is fascinating and mentions some concepts I first heard in the mid-seventies when I spent a year and a half in Japan. Especially Ame no Minaka Nushi no Okami and Furutama, Izanami and Izanagi. It is interesting how the mythology connects to the technique, so thanks Chris and everyone else on these threads, it will be fascinating reading.

Who was telling you about these things in Japan that you remember them so well after so long? How did they teach you about these ideas and how did the illustrate them?

Interesting!

Thanks.

David

Diana Frese 10-11-2012 03:28 PM

Thank you, David, for picking up on my comment. I am very interested in how all this connects to training, but it will take me a while to study these threads! In the meantime, I will answer briefly to your kind question. Before I went to Japan, I used to study some Japanesse literature on the subway returning from class in NYC, so of course I was fascinated by the things Peter Shapiro and Saotome Sensei were bringing up in discussions after "foreigners' class" at Aikikai Hombu. Peter just was announced Sixth Dan on the Aikikai Kagami Biraki promotions announcements this past winter, quoted here on Aiki Web. He has been teaching in France and has a fascinating website which I should revisit soon..... So thanks for asking!

Peter, our senpai, now of course Shapiro Sensei requested Hombu Dojo for Saotome Sensei to be the "foreign students class" instructor because Saotome Sensei had been interested in what O Sensei was teaching about Shinto. Peter was also studying in Shingu with Hikitsuchi Sensei, who was officially registered or not as such, a Shinto Priest.

Peter mentioned the Kojiki, so I bought a copy in English, also the Nihongi. So I mainly know of these things as literature, mythology and of course some of it is actual history.

Various teachers here who were direct students of the Founder have taught Furutama, but when Hikitsuchi Sensei was visiting New Haven before or after he gave an exhibition at Yale, he taught the names of Kami, which were chanted during Furutama. They were, if I remember correctly, Ama Terasu O Mikami, O Harai Do no Okami, and Ame No Minaka Nushi no Okami. This Furutama was practiced between the three Funakogi Undo, boat rowing exercise left and right I forget which order and which side was done twice. So I don't remember everything! However, I think it started in left hanmi.

Some things we never forget, although a little fuzzy at times as to exact details in the mists of time in my elderly brain:)

Hikitsuchi Sensei's students are still around in the US, for example Mary Heiny, who has visited the Southeast! She will be at Bond Street Dojo on the 20th of October, I think, but I don't think we can make it due to work and financial obligations, but I would love to meet her again someday! She is charming and from what I hear, a great teacher.

Another person who might know of the connection between Shinto and the actual
Aikido techniques is Hiroshi Ikeda Shihan who has been mentioned in many threads, I should look those up too. I met him in training camps years ago and wonder whether he has connected Saotome Sensei's teaching with some things I hear he has shared with "The Internal Power People" (Please excuse the paraphrase, I don't mean to be disrespectful, I am just curious as to how this all connects. As I said, I am still studying the threads) Or you might have an opportunity to speak with Saotome Sensei directly. He lives in Florida, and perhaps you can visit one of his affiliated dojo when he is there. He still travels many places in the US from what I read.

Thanks again, I might write a little more later, but will send this now to keep the conversation going, as I am very interested in your question where I learned the Shinto terms!

Sincerely, Daian

gregstec 10-11-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Diana Frese wrote: (Post 317013)
Thank you, David, for picking up on my comment. I am very interested in how all this connects to training, but it will take me a while to study these threads! In the meantime, I will answer briefly to your kind question. Before I went to Japan, I used to study some Japanesse literature on the subway returning from class in NYC, so of course I was fascinated by the things Peter Shapiro and Saotome Sensei were bringing up in discussions after "foreigners' class" at Aikikai Hombu. Peter just was announced Sixth Dan on the Aikikai Kagami Biraki promotions announcements this past winter, quoted here on Aiki Web. He has been teaching in France and has a fascinating website which I should revisit soon..... So thanks for asking!

Peter, our senpai, now of course Shapiro Sensei requested Hombu Dojo for Saotome Sensei to be the "foreign students class" instructor because Saotome Sensei had been interested in what O Sensei was teaching about Shinto. Peter was also studying in Shingu with Hikitsuchi Sensei, who was officially registered or not as such, a Shinto Priest.

Peter mentioned the Kojiki, so I bought a copy in English, also the Nihongi. So I mainly know of these things as literature, mythology and of course some of it is actual history.

Various teachers here who were direct students of the Founder have taught Furutama, but when Hikitsuchi Sensei was visiting New Haven before or after he gave an exhibition at Yale, he taught the names of Kami, which were chanted during Furutama. They were, if I remember correctly, Ama Terasu O Mikami, O Harai Do no Okami, and Ame No Minaka Nushi no Okami. This Furutama was practiced between the three Funakogi Undo, boat rowing exercise left and right I forget which order and which side was done twice. So I don't remember everything! However, I think it started in left hanmi.

Some things we never forget, although a little fuzzy at times as to exact details in the mists of time in my elderly brain:)

Hikitsuchi Sensei's students are still around in the US, for example Mary Heiny, who has visited the Southeast! She will be at Bond Street Dojo on the 20th of October, I think, but I don't think we can make it due to work and financial obligations, but I would love to meet her again someday! She is charming and from what I hear, a great teacher.

Another person who might know of the connection between Shinto and the actual
Aikido techniques is Hiroshi Ikeda Shihan who has been mentioned in many threads, I should look those up too. I met him in training camps years ago and wonder whether he has connected Saotome Sensei's teaching with some things I hear he has shared with "The Internal Power People" (Please excuse the paraphrase, I don't mean to be disrespectful, I am just curious as to how this all connects. As I said, I am still studying the threads) Or you might have an opportunity to speak with Saotome Sensei directly. He lives in Florida, and perhaps you can visit one of his affiliated dojo when he is there. He still travels many places in the US from what I read.

Thanks again, I might write a little more later, but will send this now to keep the conversation going, as I am very interested in your question where I learned the Shinto terms!

Sincerely, Daian

Hello, Diana - I would like to take this opportunity to say I love you! - I have observed your posts over a period of time, and you always just come across as such a honest and sincere person regardless of any controversy in the thread (not that there is any in this thread) - you are you and you are secure in yourself - the world needs more people like you.

Best

Greg

phitruong 10-12-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

David Orange wrote: (Post 316955)
I got confused and posted these clips to another thread on The Floating Bridge of Heaven.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geQ8r9MEAzM&feature=plcp

David

you need a shave. a leotard would help making your butts looking more curvaceous, at least it does to mine, which is one of the reasons i like yoga and aerobic. :D

your butts is sticking out and you tightened your quad on impact. you are doing the difficult approach too soon. try with one leg in front and one leg back first. once you get more comfortable with that then slowly moving the rear leg forward until they are parallel. "why so serious"

hughrbeyer 10-12-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Diana Frese wrote: (Post 317013)
Hikitsuchi Sensei's students are still around in the US, for example Mary Heiny, who has visited the Southeast!

And a shout-out to Linda Holiday Sensei, who just led an awesome seminar with us here in Boston and ran through some of Hikitsuchi Sensei's approach with us. She's in Santa Cruz, just in case anyone wants a fun and enlightening time.

Diana Frese 10-14-2012 08:39 AM

Wow, two more responses and a video. Sorry, Phi, our computer does not do videos at all even the slow stop and start of dial up it had been able to do earlier. Greg how kind of you to validate my efforts in posting here and there on threads that sparked my interest, and Hugh, I am glad to have been instrumental in my own "playing volleyball way" in passing on some recommendations of teachers people may be interested in.

No idea what the golden ball theory is about, but will go back and read some more. Volleyball, while I only played a few times in my life seems to be a matter of keep the ball in the air so someone can hit it over the net. I like to think I help keep it in the air so someone can make a good point!

Some of my fellow students in the old days were also studying Chinese Arts, so sometimes I visit these threads of the more esoteric stuffs. (Thanks Phi, you have improved on the usual use of English words) David, I am curious whether your practices are from Mochizuki Sensei who I heard years ago was one of the main pioneers of Aikido, and how much you developed on your own as I haven't heard that he is among the living since so many of the early teachers have passed on.

Anyway, back to studying the thread whenever I get a chance. Thanks each of you for responding! It really helps me learn more and feel a part of Aiki Web.