AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Weapons (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   kinds of weapons. (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1725)

njnoexit 04-10-2002 06:27 PM

kinds of weapons.

well all the kinds of weapons I know of so far is the sword work and stick stuff.... is there anything with knives?.... just wondering.

IrimiTom 04-10-2002 07:56 PM

there's sword (bokken) work, jo (the short stick) and there is knife work yeah (it's called tanto)
all these are wooden and usually blunt ended, although one of my senseis did say once that sometimes during demonstrations between yudansha, live blades are used....

anybody ever seen this? (except for in seagal's "my aikido works in the streets" video)

Bronson 04-10-2002 10:51 PM

Quote:

demonstrations between yudansha, live blades are used.... anybody ever seen this?
Yeah, we keep a live tanto on the shomen and sensei uses it to demonstrate tanto dori. The edge has been dulled but the tip is still there and more than capable of giving a really nasty poke. We of course all use wooden weapons in class except for those times when sensei dismisses us to work on the technique and he hands someone (usually the demo uke) the live blade and then they are supposed to use that one. Kinda scary the first forever times.

Bronson

MaylandL 04-10-2002 11:55 PM

We use live blades (with sharp edges and points) at our dojo between Yundashas and First Kyu for some tanto dori training. I had to do tanto dori with a sensei's 18th century tanto for a grading.

The use or not of live blades has been discussed in this forum before. IMHO There is a place for its use but under controlled circumstances and for specific purposes.

All dojos in some form or another are governed by liability insurance premiums and the risk of litigation resulting from injury.

I personally think that a lot of tanto dori can be taught with wooden tantos. Equally there's also a significant change in mind set when a live and sharp blade is used.

I'm sure there's equal number of arguments for and against the use of live blades.

Mathias 04-11-2002 02:43 AM

There is also the Iato (samurai sword) and the Katana ( SHARP samurai sword. Both can be used in the Aikido-Toho.

/Mathias

erikmenzel 04-11-2002 03:41 AM

We sometimes train with a pair of hanbo.

njnoexit 04-11-2002 05:36 PM

see I figure that if you are going to use a weapon knife would be ideal. becuase no one takes kindly to some guy walking down the street with a big sword.

Jorx 04-12-2002 05:21 AM

Actually I would say that knife is not a potentially good weapon for an aikidoka because knife is a better offensive than a defensive weapon and if you are not REALLY familiar with the knife it can turn against you. I guess spray gas makes a pretty good atemi;)

Anyhow knife makes a good threatening so you may be able to AVOID conflicts. Dangerous though...

Jorgen
Estonian Aikikai

P.S. I'd prefer a stick or a staff... Although I have a knife as well I NEVER carry it for example when going to a party (and potentially to drink something) Just sometimes when I know I'm sober and I have to go through dangerous areas. Or just cut some bread with it.

njnoexit 04-12-2002 08:54 PM

I think more in aikido is involved with mental technique then phisical. you can better avoid a fight by the things you say then the things you do. well I dont know but its an assumption. I am probably wrong.. normally I am :(