AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Websites (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   New Site (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2847)

chris_davis01 11-04-2002 09:00 AM

New Site

Hi people

have just uploaded my new site

www.martialartworks.co.uk

please pop in and take a look,

cheers
chris

erikmenzel 11-04-2002 09:21 AM

Re: New Site

Quote:

chris davis (chris_davis01) wrote:
Hi people

have just uploaded my new site

As this site is claimed to be made by profesionals and even offers webdesign I will be completely honest with my comments.

I hate it. It is not browser independent and depends partly on personal settings. This results in ugly backgrounds, text runs through pictures or is covered by the picture. It looks like cheap commercial $%#$%. Quality one gets if an 8 year old starts using Frontpage without any practise, experience or plan.

I do wonder if you have permission to use the pictures you use on such an obviously commercial website.

rachmass 11-04-2002 10:11 AM

Gee Erik, holding back a bit eh?

Actually, I couldn't even get onto it!

MaylandL 11-04-2002 06:13 PM

Re: Re: New Site

Quote:

Erik Jurrien Knoops (erikknoops) wrote:

I hate it. It is not browser independent and depends partly on personal settings. This results in ugly backgrounds, text runs through pictures or is covered by the picture. It looks like cheap commercial $%#$%. Quality one gets if an 8 year old starts using Frontpage without any practise, experience or plan.

I do wonder if you have permission to use the pictures you use on such an obviously commercial website.

Ouch! I thought it was ok but I didn't have the technical problems with the website that you mentioned.

Erik 11-04-2002 07:36 PM

A few comments.

1. Your home page footprint is too large. Particularly the logo image in the left which runs 97K by it's animated self, and the kanji gif is 79K. By the way, animation is annoying.

2. I'd kill the frames. I didn't see anything that required them and they tend to react strangely when you deep link to a page.

3. The hit counter could be a Perl script. There's dozens on the net that will do everything this fast counter thing will.

4. "Best Viewed By" is a warning sign that something is wrong in your design. It's like someone screaming, "I DON'T WORK IN MOST RESOLUTIONS". I suspect losing the frames will help you here. Most people surf at 800 X 600 by the way.

PS: Opera at 800 x 600 did not like some parts of your site. Note, I don't change resolutions (most people would not) and I use a non-mainstream browser. Another argument for simple and clean HTML.

Mike Johnson 11-05-2002 04:36 AM

Chris,

Sorry, I'm going to have to go along with the majority view on here. I found the frames distracting and poorly sized. I thought the buttons were incosistent ('pics' on some links, 'pictures' on others), and there were a few basic grammer mistakes.

As a general martial arts homepage, it doesn't look too bad, but if you're going to advertise as professional web developers, it's going to have to be spot on ;)

Having said all that, it's always nice to have new sites to look at, so I'll bookmark it and see how it progresses - good luck with it.

chris_davis01 11-05-2002 05:53 AM

Thanks for the honest comments guys!!

This site is 9-10 months old and was constructed in front page - at this time MA design was not offering a Web design service professionally. MA design deals with Graphic Design in the Main and has only recently branched into Web.

I now work in Dreamweaver and Flash and am currently working on the update, the main purpose of the site is to sell framed Kanji to the MA community in the UK - This is not on offer anywhere else in the UK and This site was really a quick fix - the majority of sales are done at events.

All images used on this site are either the property of ma design or have full permissions.

I know i said that the site was new but that is not really true - just wanted to make people aware of it on this forum.

I am not trying to advertise the products - i signed to this forum because i am a practitioner of Daito ryu - just wanted to make people aware of it.

Thanks for the comments people - i agree with them all and no longer work to such shoddy standards. :)

Cheers

Chris