AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Sticky problems (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6238)

Dancing Heron 08-13-2004 02:35 PM

Sticky problems

Hi, all

I know this may be a bit of an odd question, but everytime I go to training I notice I can't move as smooth as all the others on the mat. This is mainly because I seem to have a problem with sweating feet. For example, when I have to make a turn it doesn't go that well cause my feet mostly get stuck on the mat.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of those sweaty feet? It's really annoying. :freaky:
(my apoligies if my English is bad)

Thanks
Mathijs

Chris Li 08-13-2004 03:36 PM

Re: Sticky problems

Quote:

Mathijs Terwel wrote:
Hi, all

I know this may be a bit of an odd question, but everytime I go to training I notice I can't move as smooth as all the others on the mat. This is mainly because I seem to have a problem with sweating feet. For example, when I have to make a turn it doesn't go that well cause my feet mostly get stuck on the mat.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of those sweaty feet? It's really annoying. :freaky:
(my apoligies if my English is bad)

Thanks
Mathijs

My advice - forget about sliding your feet, which is likely to be difficult and dangerous off the mat anyway, and just pick them up and step.

Best,

Chris

Devon Natario 08-13-2004 06:23 PM

Chris is so correct. Just pick up your feet. Although sliding of the feet looks nice, it's not an option sometimes. Thye sliding of the feet is generally done because your feet are feeling what is in your path. This way you dont have to look down and wonder if something is in your way. Its like a blind mans cane -no offense to anyone.

So this can be accomplished by having your feet close to the ground, yet not on the ground. Anyways- good luck.

Lyle Laizure 08-13-2004 08:18 PM

Speak with your sensei and see if you can wear socks during practice. Generally speaking socks are not worn on the mat however some exceptions have been made in the past for other students. Socks may cause your feet to slide too much. Wearing tabi may be another option.

acot 08-13-2004 09:52 PM

Depending on the type of mat, Kung Fu shoes wrestling shoes are okay. Thick rubberized mats do get sticky. I think the no socks and shoes tradition comes from old dojos which use grass tatami. (which my currnt dojo uses). I think Chris's idea of taking a step rather then slide is one of the best suggestions I've heard.

maikerus 08-14-2004 12:59 AM

Interesting replies. My instructors have always emphasized the "sliding of the feet" or suriashi.

When I teach suriashi I teach it in 4 stages:

1. Stand with your weight forward (on the front leg) and then lift up that leg as high as you can, like you were taking the first step of some tall imaginary stairway. Since your weight is on the front foot when you lift that foot you will fall forward...and catch yourself with that front foot.

2. Do the same as number one, except this time lift up your front foot only a small amount, as if you were stepping onto an imaginary curb. Again, because your weight is forward you will "fall" forward.

3. Now do the same as number 1 and 2, but this time lift up your front foot only slightly off the ground and keep lifting it as you move forward. Since you lift up your front foot as fast as you are "falling" forward it will appear to be sliding. When in fact its just being lifted enough so that your foot is touching/grazing the ground, but not sticking.

4. After you've done #3 a bunch of times we can move on to #4. This time as you start lifting up your front foot as fast as you are falling forward, push off your back foot so that you get some momentum and can move forward. When you can combine the pushing forward off the back foot, the lifting of the front foot and the timing of the two to slide and not "stick" then you won't be worrying about sweaty feet.

I'm not sure who originally taught me this, but I believe it was one of the senior instructors at the Yoshinkan Hombu. I think it was Chida Sensei, but can't be positive. It just seems like one of the lessons he would teach and the way he might teach it.

I hope this helps. Don't try and do too much too quick and watch out for those toes. They can really hurt if they roll under your foot, especially in #4 <grin of experience>

My thoughts...

--Michael

Dancing Heron 08-14-2004 03:06 AM

Thanks for the replies, everyone!
I think I'll try using Michaels method, but if that won't work, I'll try just picking up my feet.
I'm not really sure what kind of mat we're using. It seems like a rather old mat but the mat itself isn't sticky, it's just my feet, but I don't think socks are really allowed.
I don't have any lessons lately (we're beginning in September again cause of the vacation) but thanks for all the replies! I'm sure it'll help.

Devin McDowell 08-14-2004 04:56 AM

"It seems like a rather old mat but the mat itself isn't sticky, it's just my feet, but I don't think socks are really allowed."
If the sensei denies your request to wear socks, point out to him that the alternative is your foot-sweat all over the mats.

Try using one of those chalk blocks the rock climbers use, except apply it to your feet. Make sure you get off all excess chalk, perhaps by rubbing it in with your hand afterwards.

graham butt 08-14-2004 07:32 AM

schlop schlop schlop

Stuart Mckay 08-15-2004 03:55 PM

lol.... get wat u mean :)

Hagen Seibert 08-15-2004 04:13 PM

Iīd presume, that if your feet are sweating so much, it should actually work rather like a lubricant than like a glue ....

Well, seriously, I dont think that the problem is in your sweating feet.
If you canīt turn properly for sabaki, then you probably leave your foot flat on the mat while turning.
Try to lift your heel a bit up and do all the turning on the palm.
And also - very important to keep your knees in a healthy condition - the twisting must be between palm an mat and never within the knee. This joint is not built for a twisting movement. So try to push the heel into the turnīs direction.

maikerus 08-15-2004 09:22 PM

Quote:

Mathijs Terwel wrote:
Thanks for the replies, everyone!
I think I'll try using Michaels method, but if that won't work...

Good Luck! Let me know how it goes.

The point that Hagen raised about moving on the ball of your feet with your weight mostly off the heel is also key. I usually tell people to feel as if they could slide a thin sheet of paper between their heel and the mat.

I can't believe I forgot to mention that <wry grin>

--Michael