AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Need help in looking for books (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2016)

aries admin 06-13-2002 01:21 AM

Need help in looking for books

Hi:

Iam very interested in getting the books written by Saito titled TRADITIONAL AIKIDO vol 1-5. I can't seem to find a place/site where it is being offered.

On the other hand aside from the Aikido Journal that offers the other set of books by Saito Takemusu 1-5 are there any other site that offers them?

Thanks a lot.

guest1234 06-13-2002 01:38 AM

As far as I know, the problem with trying to get the complete set of 'Traditional Aikido' is one of the volumes is out of print. Be careful trying to order them: I tried to buy two sets from world-wide martial arts, they promised they had complete sets, sent me two incomplete sets, ran me around for a month, and when I returned the other books did not refund my money :(... some very shady characters out there.

Since Mr. Pranin of the Aikido Journal was involved in the "Takemusu" collection, you probably won't find better prices than he is offering.

One place you might try is www.amazon.com, they have a section for used books, and someone may be willing to sell either set at a price you like, and may even have the out of print books (they didn't when I was trying to get 'Traditional Aikido', but I haven't looked there recently; they did have an out of print book by Tohei Sensei for which I'd been looking)

Greg Jennings 06-13-2002 05:41 AM

Hi Aries, Colleen:

Just to be clear, everyone understands that there are two different multi-volume sets by the just-passed-away Morihiro Saito Sensei, right?

The older is Traditional Aikido while the newer is Takemusu Aikido.

Stanley Pranin at http://www.aikidojournal.com/ is the publisher, etc., of Takemusu Aikido. It's the first volume of that set that is out of print, I believe.

Traditional Aikido was published by the Sugawara Martial Arts Institute and distributed through someone else. There are five volumes, but there is a sixth book printed around the same time, Aikido, Its Heart and Appearance.

If you're looking for Traditional Aikido, I'd put out a call through the book finding services. I found a hard-back set that way.

Best Regards,

Greg Jennings

SeiserL 06-13-2002 08:07 AM

I am not sure about these specific titles, but I have been very lucky finding older and out of print Aikido books used at half.com and powell.com. The on-line used book dealers have certainly expanded my library. Best of luck on the hunt.

Until again,

Lynn

crbateman 06-10-2004 07:23 PM

Re: Need help in looking for books

Having recently completed my library, I can give you the following information:

The "Traditional" series (volumes 1-5) is long out of print, and will most likely not be reprinted anytime soon. It was first printed in hardback, and then in soft cover in the early '90's. If you are lucky enough to find even random volumes of this series, they will be VERY expensive (usually $125.00-$175.00 per volume in soft cover, and even more in hard cover). A complete set is very rare, and usually commands an even higher price ($750.00 to $1000.00). A signed set just sold on eBay for $1300.00 plus overseas shipping!

If you are determined, your best bet is from private indivuals on eBay, as all the dealers you will find selling through amazon.com, abebooks.com, powells.com and the like are acutely aware of what they'll fetch. You'll just have to keep your eye on eBay, because these books are few and far between, and get your credit card (or two) ready.

As for the more recent "Takemusu" set (volumes 1-5, plus a "Commentary on 'Budo' Special Edition"), aikidojournal.com still sells new copies (reprints, actually) at market prices for volumes 2, 4, 5 and "Budo", if memory serves me, but the others are out of print. Stanley Pranin informs me that all volumes are about to be reprinted again, EXCEPT volume 1, which is the only one not originally published bi-lingually, and it must be completely re-edited before it is reprinted. That darned volume 1 is the bugaboo, because they're just not out there for sale anywhere. It actually took me longer to complete this set than it did for the older one. Go figure.

Anyway, you've got to keep going through the book search engines on the above websites, and watch eBay constantly. For many out of print titles, fetchbook.com is also useful... they don't sell, but they often will direct you to a dealer who does have the title you are looking for. It helps in the search engines if you have the ISBN numbers for each book.

These are the avenues I've used to put together my library of over 130 English language aikido titles, past and present. I still have a few to go, but they are titles that in 8 months of constant vigilence I have NEVER seen... ANYWHERE... It's starting to become a sickness,,, Lord help me if I ever decide to add the Japanese, Spanish and French titles... Hope this info helps!