AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   O'Sensei's sight (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6030)

suren 07-14-2004 01:49 PM

O'Sensei's sight

Greetings everyone,

While I was viewing the e-card section with pictures of O'Sensei, I noticed 2 interesting things.

First he almost always looks into some unknown dimension as if he is looking not outside but inside. Very concentrated sight on something either internal or external, but imaginable (not existing in our physical dimension and not smth that you can focus your sight on). I'm not sure if I understand that sight correctly and my apologies if my opinion is incorrect. My first question would be what that sight means? Is that some sort of meditation (kind of dynamic one when you meditate while you live) of high level of concentration on smth and if so on what? I recall from yoga philosophy that meditation is the highest degree of concentration, so maybe my question is not very correct... Anyway, how would you interpret that sight.

Secondly, from the pictures when he work with uke I noticed that he does not look neither at uke nor at his own hands. (As smth close to this I would point to an example of musicians closing their eyes during concert not to be disturbed, but this is I guess smth different). Maybe that's just pictures and not the reality, but if that's true then how would you comment that? I haven't seen many people doing that. In general aikidoka during technique uses his eyes to control his movements.

I would appreciate your comments.

Bronson 07-14-2004 01:56 PM

Re: O'Sensei's sight

I've been taught that the eyes lead the mind (ki). If you are looking at your hands, everything stops at your hands. If you are looking at uke, everything stops at uke. Look were you want to go or where you want to direct your energy.

YMMV

Bronson

Charles Hill 07-14-2004 05:47 PM

Hi Suren,

Probably not what you are looking for, but O`Sensei was apparently very near sighted. That could be a reason for how his eyes look. Also, not talked about very much was his problem of senility in his later years. It`s interesting that in these days of the various attempts to deflate the "O`Sensei myth" this subject is rarely expressed.

Charles Hill

suren 07-14-2004 05:56 PM

Thanks guys,

At least now I have some opinions.

Quote:

Charles Hill wrote:
Probably not what you are looking for..

I'm looking for some facts/opinions/ideas, not for something that sounds or looks good, so your opinion is very welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks again,
Suren.

xuzen 07-14-2004 09:43 PM

Dear Suren,

We have five senses, six some argue (but that's debatable). Meditation in my understanding is trying to minimise inputs into our sensory instruments and allow our mind to focus (info from Discovery Channel). In Zen meditation we allow our mind to wander and explore our subcouscious while disallowing external input to overwhelm our reflective mind.

Maybe o'sensei was doing moving Zen, trying to shut out unneccesary stimuli while trying to concentrate on doing his aikido.

Just my $0.02 though,
Boon

Martin Ruedas 07-28-2004 05:41 AM

Quote:

Bronson Diffin wrote:
I've been taught that the eyes lead the mind (ki). If you are looking at your hands, everything stops at your hands. If you are looking at uke, everything stops at uke. Look were you want to go or where you want to direct your energy.

That's the same thing I've been taught :)