AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Seminars (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   TNBBC guest instructors at Seattle School of Aikido (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17301)

ChrisMoses 12-08-2009 10:10 AM

TNBBC guest instructors at Seattle School of Aikido

As part of Icho Ryu/TNBBC's ongoing relationship of Seattle School of Aikido, Tuesday night's *Aikido basics* classes will be led by members of the TNBBC and will run 6:15 to 7:15. Feel free to come down and check out class, have some fun and put a face to a name.

December 8th - Neil Yamamoto
December 15th- Helmut Floss
December 22nd- John (is Hapkido!!!) Connolly
December 29th- Jeremy Hulley

:)

The next two-month beginners series will begin on January 5th and will be taught by Jeremy Hulley (Tuesdays 6:15-7:15) and John Peng (Fridays 6:15-7:15).

More details and directions on the main Seattle School of Aikido website.

Mark Gibbons 12-08-2009 10:14 AM

Re: TNBBC guest instructors at Seattle School of Aikido

Wow. Nice lineup. Thanks Chris.

ChrisMoses 12-08-2009 10:28 AM

Should be fun, and as always I continue with Thursday nights from 6-7:15. :)

John Connolly 12-20-2009 03:21 AM

On Tuesday, Dec 22 2009, 6:15 pm, I will be the guest instructor at the Seattle School of Aikido http://www.seattleschoolofaikido.org/ for a regular Aikido class.

Hmmm… teaching an "Aikido" class. How do I share my experience, knowledge, and attitude toward martial effectiveness without sounding "violent" or haughty? I wish somehow in these situations I could have some sort of billboard, floating over my head, that reads: I wish for the least violent outcome for any bad situation, I don't want to hit/cut/kick people, in fact, I've been working for years now on how to improve my grappling/ aiki/ jujutsu/ body skills so that I may be more benevolent and merciful, if I am able --given the circumstance. I came up from my teenage years and twenties in various striking or grappling or mixture striking/grappling and began to develop my best skills in my 30's thanks to studying under Neil Yamamoto primarily, among other excellent teachers in other styles. My goals are the goals of Aikido, but I have taken a different road to arrive at the same conclusion.

My "Aikido" lineage comes through my teacher, Neil Yamamoto and his teacher, Bernie Lau. Do a quick online search, and you will find that this line is actually (and weirdly, to my mind) one of the pioneering lines of Aikido in the States, and certainly in the Pacific Northwest. I've been lucky enough to have free reign to teach a study group under the auspices of the Icho Ryu umbrella, but with my emphasis on types of physical strategies, based on my experience and preferences in types of grappling and striking. Now, this coming Tuesday, Dec. 22 is the first time I've been honored with the trust to teach as a guest at an Aikido class. Thank you Neil, Chris, and the SSA community for this opportunity.

My syllabus will be as such:

Bow in

Core training

Tanren/Chi Gung

Stretching the hips

Proper weight shifting

The shape of Kote Gaeshi: what I've found the best form to be to affect uke's core and structure.

2 straight line, or irimi versions of Kote Gaeshi—- discussion of tenkan and irimi stratgies.

Discuss the connection of the structure of Kote Gaeshi to that Shiho Nage. Illustrate with figure 4 "ki" lock. Practice figure 4 lock.

2 types of pin. Discuss strategies for each.

Q&A

Bow out

Please join me if you can: cost is included in SSA tuition for members, for guests there is a $15 mat fee.

Happy Holidays and Merry X-Mess!

John

John Connolly 12-20-2009 04:31 AM

Please note, I include solo Ukemi practice as core training, and it will be included in the core training set.

Thomas Campbell 12-21-2009 11:06 PM

Good luck with the teaching tomorrow night, John. Looks like a nice, focused subject for the class.

John Connolly 12-22-2009 01:04 PM

Thanks, Tom. Should be great fun. :D

John Connolly 12-23-2009 01:49 PM

Well, I actually got through most of my syllabus, no one burst into flame, and no spontaneous cage fighting happened. So, I think I can call it a success...

ChrisMoses 12-23-2009 02:00 PM

But you just COULDN'T help throwing in a little osoto gari could ya...

:D

John Connolly 12-23-2009 02:19 PM

WHAT!? Why, you brute, that was the purest, harmony-filled kote gaeshi henka. I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about... ;)

Thomas Campbell 12-23-2009 02:33 PM

John--

I was about to ask, "How did your teaching session go last night?" Then I saw your summation. Nobody burst into flame, but . . . fewer people came out then went in, from what I heard.

John Connolly 12-23-2009 03:08 PM

Ha!