AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Events Listings: Non-Aikido Martial Traditions (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Daitoryu Ginjukai East Coast Intensive - August 24-27, 2012 (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21254)

Howard Popkin 04-26-2012 04:23 PM

Daitoryu Ginjukai East Coast Intensive - August 24-27, 2012

Joe Brogna and Howard Popkin will be teaching the core waza of Daitoryu Aikijujitsu, as taught to them by Okamoto Seigo.

This will be an intense 4-day seminar !

Hope you can join us !

https://www.facebook.com/events/347585858598079/ - Facebook page for the event

http://www.eventsbot.com/events/eb143918816 - registration for the event !

Spots very limited.

Thanks !

Howard
popkinbrogna@yahoo.com

Joe Brogna 04-28-2012 12:53 PM

Re: Daitoryu Ginjukai East Coast Intensive - August 24-27, 2012

This is going to be a great seminar! We are really looking forward to getting all the branch members to meet each other.

We are going to be looking into group discounts for hotels in the area, so check back for more info.

Joe

Joe Brogna 05-22-2012 07:54 AM

Please register as soon as you can, spots are filling up! We are capping this seminar @ 30 people.

thanks,

Joe Brogna

Howard Popkin 07-22-2012 01:20 PM

FAcebook for the East Coast Intensive !!

https://www.facebook.com/events/347585858598079/

Howard Popkin 08-13-2012 05:26 AM

Guys,

We are very excited to announce that the first annual Hombu 4-day seminar will be held in our new dojo.

Please register asap as it is almost full !!

Howard

Popkin-Brogna Jujitsu Center
400 Hempstead Tpke
West Hempstead, NY 11552

Howard Popkin 08-21-2012 06:53 PM

This is shaping up to be incredible. People from all over the US have registered.

There are 2 or 3 spots left.

See you Friday at the new dojo !

Howard

Howard Popkin 08-26-2012 06:48 AM

amazing weekend so far, a few pics

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...pe=1&theate r

JVLehrer 09-15-2012 06:57 PM

What an amazing seminar! In many ways, Daitoryu is so different from the martial arts that we study (although I can see the underlying similarities) that having four full days to really focus on learning and understanding was awesome. I feel like I made some significant progress, and I know from talking with others in attendance that everyone felt like they advanced their skills substantially.

Popkin Sensei and Brogna Sensei complement each other extremely well as instructors. Both are extremely knowledgeable and skilled in Daitoryu, but teach in subtly different ways. This works out well for the students because sometimes I find I have to approach these concepts from several different angles before they really sink in. Both senseis are really good at working with people of different skill levels, and one of the benefits of attending the intensives is the opportunity to work with lots of different people.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention how much fun it was to be in Long Island! I feel fortunate to have trained with such a great group of people, and driving around and checking out a few of the sights in the evenings was a blast as well. And the food is amazing!

I highly recommend the intensives to anyone who is interested in really deepening their knowledge of Daitoryu and bringing back something cool their martial art of choice.

Howard Popkin 09-15-2012 08:35 PM

Jim,

Thanks for the kind words. It was a great seminar ! Everyone worked really hard for four days and, in my opinion, all came away very improved !!!

Thanks again !

Howard

ToraDojoNJ 09-17-2012 12:53 PM

Attended one day (sadly) of the 1st 4-day East Coast, the experience was as always a great one, as the NJ branch leader, one would expect me to say nothing but nice things about the event but it's easy to do so since EVERYTIME I've spent time with the both Popkin and Brogna sensei I grow in my understanding of aiki.

The simple, straight forward method that they both teach in makes a vastly subtle and complex concept such as aiki easy to break down and understand. The focus on concept over technique leaves the application of aiki open ended enough to allow the student to take in as much or as little as one's understanding will allow, in this way the student is not overwhelmed but empowered to explore the topic of aiki.

I recommend the experience of one of the Daito ryu Ginjukai to ANY martial artist.

Izzy Franco
Tora Dojo

Darrell D. 09-25-2012 11:11 AM

After the last 20 years of martial arts training I can honestly say that I feel very fortunate to have been a part of this event and other events taught by Howard Popkin Sensei and Joe Brogna Sensei. These individuals not only understand the role of Aiki in martial arts but can demonstrate it, teach it, and communicate all of this in an easy to understand and beneficial way for the student. I have spent countless dollars on my training over the years and can honestly say that anyone interested in learning from these two exceptional instructors will get a huge "bang for their buck". Nothing is held back, no questions unanswered. I have never taken so much away from a seminar or had such a good pleasant experience with all involved. I simply could not give a higher recommendation than that to the instructors of the Ginjukai.

I have marked a steady training schedule with these teachers and I encourage anyone interested in "Aiki" to try a seminar, you wont regret it! I also would like to convey a sincere thank you to both Brogna Sensei and Popkin Sensei for leading others by example first. I feel that I have made good friendships with both of you and can see that it is your wish that everyone of your students truly learn and grow from what you are giving to us. The feeling of making this valuable knowledge "ours" and sharing it with others is in my mind that which separates good teachers from great teachers. Thank you both for everything and please keep up the good work!

Domo Arigato Gozaimashita,
Darrell D'Antonoli

APride 09-25-2012 09:50 PM

I also participated in this Intensive, and enjoyed it tremendously. (Sorry for the belated posting). I share the enthusiasm of the reviews above, and would like to provide some more details on the seminar.

By way of introduction, I should mention that I have about 20 years' experience in martial arts (most significantly, 13 years in aikido), and have been training with Popkin and Brogna Senseis for 4.5 years. I'm one of the branch leaders of the Ginjuaki in Seattle, along with Josh Drachman.

The Intensive format was excellent, offering a generous 24 hours of training over 4 consecutive days (twice the exposure one gets at a typical weekend seminar). This allowed the training to build on itself and be both broad and deep.

The 30+ participants in the Intensive had backgrounds in various other martial arts, from Aikido and Karate to BJJ and MMA; some had advanced ranks (including at least one Rokudan), and others were relative beginners; some have been training with Popkin and Brogna Senseis for years, and others were meeting them for the very first time. The atmosphere was open, respectful, and joyous. It was clear that the instructors and the participants were having a great time throughout.

Popkin and Brogna Senseis' Daito-Ryu Aikijujitsu Ginjukai is a highly effective art that is relaxed and soft, supported by a core of internal strength. They consistently displayed relaxed power, achieving kuzushi on contact and effectively leading and/or controlling their partners throughout the interaction, demonstrating a high level of aiki.

Both Popkin and Brogna Senseis are excellent teachers, and provide clear, principle-based instruction. They guide their students to develop the right feel and to understand why the techniques work as they do, rather than merely imitating a form. This helps the students' progress within the art itself, and also facilitates applying the principles and skills to the pursuit of aiki in other martial arts.

To gauge and foster effective teaching in the various Ginjukai branches, each branch leader was put on the spot several times during the weekend, and asked to demonstrate and teach various techniques in front of everybody. Before offering their own feedback, Popkin and Brogna Senseis would solicit comments from the other participants, thus training everyone to develop a critical eye.

In addition to taking turns demonstrating and explaining to the whole class, Popkin and Brogna Senseis spent significant hands-on time with each participant, allowing everybody to work with each of the instructors directly. By the end of the weekend everyone seemed to have made significant progress, and to have had a great time.

Howard Popkin Sensei and Joe Brogna Sensei are planning on holding at least two such 4-day Intensives annually, in Seattle and at the main dojo in NYC. I heartily recommend these Intensives, or at least a weekend seminar, for any budoka pursuing aiki.

Arrow Pride

Joe Brogna 09-27-2012 02:09 PM

Thanks for the reviews guys. Arrow, you left out a critical part! We ate a lot! We must be getting old, we used to say we drank a lot.:D

Also, that we made the group leaders teach the same techniques at the conclusion of the seminar just to be sure they were taking home all their corrections. Everyone improved significantly by the end of the weekend. Now the real test is when we see the branch leaders students. We will see if the critical info got transmitted correctly.

We are trying our best to continue Okamoto Sensei's art in it's truest form.

It's funny, after Okamoto Sensei would leave everyone would make sure they made it to the next class just to hear his critiques and corrections. Sensei Popkin would dole out the spankings, and we had our work to do. We had better made sure we fixed by the next time Okamoto came back,because he was looking for the improvement in technique. He would even call you out and say " I told you last time to do it like this!"

I can't wait till the next seminar!

I'll be teaching in the following places real soon

North Carolina - Oct 13
Seattle Oct 26-28
Orlando Nov 16-18

I hope to see you there

Joe