AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Advice for Stepping Lightly (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20189)

robin_jet_alt 08-22-2011 04:50 PM

Re: Advice for Stepping Lightly

Quote:

Mary Malmros wrote: (Post 290778)
Robin, you've written about how other students react to your style of ukemi, but how does your sensei react to it? Is this really a case of "we don't do ukemi like this dojo", or a case that that's the goal but other students aren't there yet?

That's a very good question. Sensei hasn't really said anything or reacted in any noticeable way. This being Japan, I'm not surprised. If I had to guess, I would say he is mildly disapproving, but he's not going to get worked up about it.

robin_jet_alt 08-22-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:

Oisin Bourke wrote: (Post 290779)
Robin,

Henry Kono has a great story about this. When he went to the Aikikai honbu in the sixties, Seniors teaching the class would grab him and immediately fall onto the mat! At first, he was thinking: "What's going on here? I haven't done anything!" Eventually, he realised that they were moving and he was expected to follow their movement. This way, he was expected to internalise the movement of the technique. Sunadomari sensei's writings on "kasutori" may help you here. Ellis Amdur has an excellent commentary on this style of practice in his book: "Hidden in Plain Sight"

I actually do this with beginners quite a lot. It helps them to feel how the technique should flow. My issue is with more senior students who are convinced that if they move in the same way they have always moved, then I should fall down, and they aren't interested in following uke's movements.

To Nagababa: I don't think I am wasting my time here. I have been learning a lot, and by training in a dojo that is so different to my last dojo, I have been plugging a lot of gaps in my aikido. Sensei is great, and I don't have this problem with everyone at the dojo, just a significant group.

NagaBaba 08-22-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Robin Boyd wrote: (Post 290816)
To Nagababa: I don't think I am wasting my time here. I have been learning a lot, and by training in a dojo that is so different to my last dojo, I have been plugging a lot of gaps in my aikido. Sensei is great, and I don't have this problem with everyone at the dojo, just a significant group.

Significant part of your training is training with zombies. This is pure waste.
As you can't change the culture of the dojo, with the time you will become zombie, just like them.These changes are unavoidable and unnoticeable.

robin_jet_alt 08-29-2011 04:20 PM

Well, after my little whinge last week, last night I was paired with a couple of guys who relished the opportunity to pound me into the mat. There is nothing better than training with a 70 year old guy who throws hard. I knew there was a reason I liked this dojo. :o

Tim Ruijs 08-30-2011 01:45 AM

Robin

Just read the thread and wondered about two things. Did you discuss this with your teacher? Since you are new it is (should not be) a problem to notice any style/training differences and ask polite questions. The other is thing is, in light of your last post, you seem to enjoy ukemi and like to be thrown hard...Aikido is not about throwing. Ukemi is as others already mentioned an escape: in actual combat this escape would be absent.
My suggestion: get your bearings straight, talk to your teacher and work hard.