AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (
-   Training (
-   -   new topic on training. (

Chocolateuke 06-06-2004 01:45 AM

new topic on training.
So, can someone learn the prinicibles of Aikido through thinking/knowlege (kinda like Jana yoga)? I haven't had a dojo for a while (1 year or so.) and have been reading and meditating on the basics of Aikido, as well as some of the more philosipical ideas of what O-sensei and Gozo shioda have said.

Hara 06-06-2004 02:23 AM

Re: new topic on training.
Yes, but there will be limits to how high you can go training without a dojo. Eventually, there comes a point where there are too many variables, too many things going on during training for you to notice by yourself and you will need an external source of input and reinforcement.

Before I had access to a Dojo, I tried to learn Aikido through books, it helped, but not in the techniques, but in the principles, which is important. I couldn't really do an ikkyo, nikkyo, kotegaish, or any technique in particular, but I could try using my center when opening doors, have a better general sense of awareness, try to stand and sit correctly, and develop some strategies in Warcraft III ;). So to answer the other part of your question, it will teach you the philosophy and principles. However, don't expect to put those principles into action in a self-defense situation, mental/philosophical training isn't geared for reactive physical situations.

That said, some things you can do during your Dojo hiatus.

-Read! You are probably already doing this.
-Watch documentaries of O sensei
-Try practicing with friends. (Only easy stuff)

Hope you find a Dojo soon, its not the same without it.

SeiserL 06-06-2004 10:20 AM

IMHO, education, meditation, and mental rehearsal can help your learn the "principles" of Aikido. But, you can only learn the application through physical training.

csinca 06-07-2004 11:03 AM

I could learn an awful lot about surgery through text books, trade journals and watching surgeries on The Discovery Channel but that probably would not make me qualified to perform surgery on you. At some point I need instruction from a qualified instructor, maybe some hands on training.

The same is true of Aikido or any other martial art. You can learn the principles and basic concepts from reading, watching and meditating; but at some point you have to practice it too.

Having said that, all of the mental preparation will help. It's nice to have an idea of what you are trying to accomplish when you are out on the mat.

AsimHanif 06-07-2004 11:17 AM

I agree with all above. Aikido is so much muscle memory, connection, and feel that you need partners to truly learn techniques. I do know that I used to read a lot of books before I started study and they did help with the mental side of things. One thing I was able to pick up from books was basic ukemi. I had some experience with karate but the books helped a great deal. Now of course there are a lot of good ukemi videos.

Jessie Brown 06-07-2004 01:51 PM

Just a quick note that the same strategies may be applied when you can't practice because of a serious injury. Watching class, seeing videos, reading books, meditation, visualizing the techniques, etc. Although nothing is the same as being in a dojo, you can also physically move through some techniques and exercises.

I know I'm doing a lot of practice with footwork, balance, and centering since I'm recovering from a badly broken collarbone. Oww.