AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Segal's new movie (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6105)

gilsinnj 07-26-2004 10:34 AM

Segal's new movie

Did anyone watch Steven Segal's new movie last night on USA? :yuck:

It looked like this one had "him" doing more martial arts than before. I quote "him" because it was REALLY obvious when they switched over to shots of his stunt double. The guy didn't have anywhere near the same body shape or size as Segal.

Also, has Steven Segal gotten totally away from Aikido now? :confused: It looked like he has started to move into Kung Fu and Iron Palm stuff now. He did a few Aikido things, but mostly it was other stuff.

-- Jim

frivolouspig 07-26-2004 11:08 AM

Re: Segal's new movie

I wasn't aware he had a new movie, made for TV?

In any event I'm pretty sure that when it comes to TV and movies technique and style goes out the window and all that really matters is what looks good on camera.

Choku Tsuki 07-26-2004 11:41 AM

I didn't see it. I plan to (wouldn't buy it tho). More info on the USA Network about the movie.

Nacho_mx 07-26-2004 12:48 PM

Steven Seagal is a pop star... http://www.nonsoloblues.com/steven_uk.html :cool: ... then again
itīs France :D

mj 07-26-2004 01:29 PM

So the movie is called Belly of the Beast.

And they say irony is a lost art.

j0nharris 07-26-2004 01:39 PM

Quote:

mark johnston wrote:
So the movie is called Belly of the Beast.

And they say irony is a lost art.

Luckily, I've been trained in the secret art of "Not spitting out your drink when you read something hilarious"!!

I recall seeing this one on DVD six or eight months ago, & not being terrible impressed, though it was fun to watch him do a bit of Chinese M.A.

-jon

Ron Tisdale 07-26-2004 01:43 PM

Anyone know the internet equivelent of a bronx cheer?

RT

j0nharris 07-26-2004 01:48 PM

Quote:

Ron Tisdale wrote:
Anyone know the internet equivelent of a bronx cheer?

RT

Sort of like this all at once?
:eek:evileyes:hypno::yuck::crazy:

Ron Tisdale 07-26-2004 02:22 PM

:)

Yea, that's it...

RT

Mark Nicoll 07-26-2004 03:40 PM

I saw Belly Of The Beast a while ago and all I can say is, don't bother watching it. Let's face it, Steven Seagal cannot act for toffee. We watch his films (and I have most of them) for his Aikido and the action this creates. He is one of the best and on film it looks spectacular. :yuck:
The Foreigner is another film, whereby there is minimal usage of Aikido. Another Naff film!

Come on Steven, give us what we got hooked on in the beginning...your Aikido!

Amassus 07-26-2004 07:18 PM

I haven't watched Belly of the Beast yet.

I didn't mind Half Past Dead. I thought the supporting cast held that movie up. You just have to ignore the big guy with squinty eyes in overalls.

Lyle Laizure 07-26-2004 09:22 PM

Unfortunately I am sure Segal doesn't have all that much say in how they portray the art in the movies. It is probably a very political process.

Keith_k 07-27-2004 02:00 AM

I saw bits and peices of it on USA network. From the fight scenes I saw, the use of a body double was extensive. Is Segal slipping?

gilsinnj 07-27-2004 08:31 AM

I don't think he's slipping in his actual martial arts experience, although I haven't seen anything recent. I think his girth :D doesn't allow him to do anything that looks good on screen, so they add in the stunt double to make the jumping, spinning kicks and such.

Now this isn't to say that the rest of us, me in particular, don't have girth that would get in the way either. :D ;)

-- Jim

P.S. Mark, I couldn't stop laughing when I read you comment about irony. :D :D :D Luckily, I wasn't drinking anything since I'm not as skilled in the art of drink keeping like John is. :ki: