AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Websites (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Aikido Shihan Hiroshi Tada - the Yachimata Lecture, Part 3 (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22996)

Chris Li 09-22-2013 07:19 PM

Aikido Shihan Hiroshi Tada - the Yachimata Lecture, Part 3

New blog post!

"Aikido Shihan Hiroshi Tada - the Yachimata Lecture, Part 3"

Enjoy!

Chris

Peter Goldsbury 09-22-2013 10:06 PM

Re: Aikido Shihan Hiroshi Tada - the Yachimata Lecture, Part 3

Hello Chris,

It is very good that you are translating this lecture. Have you come across a book published in 2008 by Serge Mol? The title is Invisible Armor: An Introduction to the Esoteric Dimension of Japan's Classical Warrior Arts and he deals with many of the Mikkyou concepts discussed by Tada Shihan.

Chris Li 09-22-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Peter A Goldsbury wrote: (Post 330077)
Hello Chris,

It is very good that you are translating this lecture. Have you come across a book published in 2008 by Serge Mol? The title is Invisible Armor: An Introduction to the Esoteric Dimension of Japan's Classical Warrior Arts and he deals with many of the Mikkyou concepts discussed by Tada Shihan.

I've seen it, but I've never read it. Do you recommend it? I don't know much about Serge Mol except what I read here.

Best,

Chris

Peter Goldsbury 09-22-2013 10:26 PM

I have mixed feelings about his two earlier books and I am not really in a position to recommend this one. I received it only recently, but a superficial reading offers a basis for relating what Tada Shihan discusses about Mikkyou to Morihei Ueshiba's own training.

JW 09-23-2013 02:09 PM

Wow! I was happy to see thee previous parts of this interview being published, but now I am ecstatic. Thanks!
I think this is one of the best aikido lectures I have read-- the ones from the founder being usually my favorite. But, this one is much more explicit than those, regarding what a student should research to really start to understand. It is also consistent with some other stuff I've been researching (see below).

Since Tada Sensei brought up Buddhism, I would recommend this book to anyone interested in this.
I think it is really helpful especially from the point of view of the sentiment described in the lecture: that is, all religions being expressions of a single source, and Buddhism being central to the techniques of spiritual training in Japan. (Meaning this book may be directly applicable to an aikidoka's spiritual explorations.)

I am still trying to read it, but specifically, this book has two things of particular interest here: 1) the intro, describing the Buddha's own training and development of his understanding - very interesting when compared to this lecture and O-sensei's; 2) description of meditation techniques used and recommended by the Buddha - Dhyana is treated in great detail (spelled Jhana since the book uses Pali not Sanskrit) as being a tool for realizing one's unity with the universe. The point of entry for a beginner is also explicitly described as a breath-based meditation technique.

Chris Li 09-23-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Jonathan Wong wrote: (Post 330096)
Wow! I was happy to see thee previous parts of this interview being published, but now I am ecstatic. Thanks!
I think this is one of the best aikido lectures I have read-- the ones from the founder being usually my favorite. But, this one is much more explicit than those, regarding what a student should research to really start to understand. It is also consistent with some other stuff I've been researching (see below).

Since Tada Sensei brought up Buddhism, I would recommend this book to anyone interested in this.
I think it is really helpful especially from the point of view of the sentiment described in the lecture: that is, all religions being expressions of a single source, and Buddhism being central to the techniques of spiritual training in Japan. (Meaning this book may be directly applicable to an aikidoka's spiritual explorations.)

I am still trying to read it, but specifically, this book has two things of particular interest here: 1) the intro, describing the Buddha's own training and development of his understanding - very interesting when compared to this lecture and O-sensei's; 2) description of meditation techniques used and recommended by the Buddha - Dhyana is treated in great detail (spelled Jhana since the book uses Pali not Sanskrit) as being a tool for realizing one's unity with the universe. The point of entry for a beginner is also explicitly described as a breath-based meditation technique.

I haven't read it yet, but I had trouble getting to the link, there was an extra <br> tag on the end - try:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/a...ngs/index.html

Anyway, glad that you enjoyed it, I guess that means that I'm in the ecstasy business. :)

Best,

Chris

JW 09-23-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Christopher Li wrote: (Post 330097)
Anyway, glad that you enjoyed it, I guess that means that I'm in the ecstasy business. :)

As usual, sounds like yet another case of either "we already do that" or "that's not aikido" depending on who you ask!
Thanks for the link update.

Chris Li 11-24-2013 10:08 AM

And now - Part 3 is available in Romanian, courtesy of Aikido Jurnal. The original version in English is available here.

Best,

Chris