AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Language (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Kanji translation (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21469)

olorin90 06-27-2012 09:45 AM

Kanji translation

Hi everyone

I wanted to know the exact kanji ideogram for the english word "Luck" .. thanks!

Olorin90

Rob Watson 06-27-2012 02:19 PM

Re: Kanji translation

Quote:

Alessandro Ciccolo wrote: (Post 311822)
Hi everyone

I wanted to know the exact kanji ideogram for the english word "Luck" .. thanks!

Olorin90

http://translate.google.com/#auto|en|luck

"Exact" translations are a stretch. It's a start anyway.

robin_jet_alt 06-27-2012 03:33 PM

I believe what you are looking for is 運. You could also use the combination, 幸運, which means "good luck", or "blessing".

olorin90 06-28-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Robin Boyd wrote: (Post 311873)
I believe what you are looking for is 運. You could also use the combination, 幸運, which means "good luck", or "blessing".

Where have you taken the first kanji from? thanks for the answer anyway!!

Rob Watson 06-28-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Alessandro Ciccolo wrote: (Post 311958)

That's the first one that pops up from google translate ... ask questions - get answers - ignore answers and ask more questions ... awesome paradigm.

robin_jet_alt 06-28-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Alessandro Ciccolo wrote: (Post 311958)

In my case it came out of my head because I happen to speak Japanese...

danj 06-28-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Robert M Watson Jr wrote: (Post 311976)
That's the first one that pops up from google translate ... ask questions - get answers - ignore answers and ask more questions ... awesome paradigm.

what do you mean?

;)

chubbycubbysmash 07-02-2012 08:27 AM

運 --You can use this one for luck that is neither good nor bad, as in someone's fortune, or the luck of the draw. Alternatively 運氣 is the full phrase for a person's luck.

幸運 -- as said above, this would be good luck.

福 -- For fortune, also like good luck. Often used for money terms.

吉-- Lucky, good luck.

olorin90 07-02-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Josephine Fan wrote: (Post 312157)
運 --You can use this one for luck that is neither good nor bad, as in someone's fortune, or the luck of the draw. Alternatively 運氣 is the full phrase for a person's luck.

幸運 -- as said above, this would be good luck.

福 -- For fortune, also like good luck. Often used for money terms.

吉-- Lucky, good luck.

thank you very much!!! so to say "I've had luck and I wish to continue to have it" what should I use for a tattoo?

chubbycubbysmash 07-02-2012 12:44 PM

I would not know what it would be in Japanese, and I would only be able to use layman's terms in Chinese, which doesn't sound elegant or scholarly.

There's gotta be an idiom for it around here somewhere, but I don't know what it would be.

robin_jet_alt 07-02-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Alessandro Ciccolo wrote: (Post 312167)
thank you very much!!! so to say "I've had luck and I wish to continue to have it" what should I use for a tattoo?

Why would you want a tattoo of a word in a language that you don't understand, written by someone else who doesn't understand it, on the basis of a stranger's recommendation on the internet? That just doesn't make sense to me.... So, I don't know what you should use...

phitruong 07-02-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Robin Boyd wrote: (Post 312190)
Why would you want a tattoo of a word in a language that you don't understand, written by someone else who doesn't understand it, on the basis of a stranger's recommendation on the internet? That just doesn't make sense to me.... So, I don't know what you should use...

i was wondering about that meself. i meant as you aged, things get sagged and could change the characters. from a slant stroke to a vertical stroke, and the meaning could change from "good luck" to "stupid gaijin". :)

olorin90 07-03-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Robin Boyd wrote: (Post 312190)

I'm just asking, i'm not going to get tattoed the kanji the user told me tomorrow ..! i'm just collecting information on this kanji..

robin_jet_alt 07-03-2012 03:43 PM

Well, if you want something that says "continuing good luck", you could try something like 幸運続々... keep in mind that I am not a native speaker, and I wouldn't trust anything someone told me on the internet enough to tattoo it on myself.

Rob Watson 07-03-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Robin Boyd wrote: (Post 312258)
I wouldn't trust anything someone told me on the internet enough to tattoo it on myself.

Tat this, tho!