AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   I hate briefs, but... (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14769)

JamesC 07-09-2008 10:49 PM

I hate briefs, but...

Today we were doing some koshi in class. I wear boxer briefs all the time. Just enough support for most tasks without being uncomfortable. After the second good koshi from a 2nd kyu I was wishing for some briefs pretty bad.

My question is; does wearing briefs to practice even help with the...umm...jarring...? Or am I just not taking the fall correctly. Sensei told me that my breakfalls looked good(though I think that had to do with nage's skill), but he suggested not opening my legs as wide. I tried bringing my legs in a little closer and it didn't seem to help, but maybe my form was still off.

Any suggestions?

Nafis Zahir 07-09-2008 11:55 PM

Re: I hate briefs, but...

Quote:

James Cavin wrote: (Post 210674)
Today we were doing some koshi in class. I wear boxer briefs all the time. Just enough support for most tasks without being uncomfortable. After the second good koshi from a 2nd kyu I was wishing for some briefs pretty bad.

My question is; does wearing briefs to practice even help with the...umm...jarring...? Or am I just not taking the fall correctly. Sensei told me that my breakfalls looked good(though I think that had to do with nage's skill), but he suggested not opening my legs as wide. I tried bringing my legs in a little closer and it didn't seem to help, but maybe my form was still off.

Any suggestions?

I keep my legs apart no matter how I take a breakfall. The one time they came together, well, you know what happened. Anyway, I think that you should always wear support briefs when practicing. I were under armour briefs when I practice. You need good support, especially the way we practice.

nagoyajoe 07-10-2008 12:22 AM

Boxers here...never any trouble.

Walter Martindale 07-10-2008 04:09 AM

8 years of judo, never wore anything under the gi pants. Took MANY very hard falls but if you keep your legs apart - "bottom" leg almost like an arm slapping the mat, "top" leg flexed, knee up, sole of the foot on the floor...
Now, usually wear briefs. Not sure why.
W

Mark Uttech 07-10-2008 08:08 AM

Ha ha. This brings back a memory of when I switched from boxers to briefs for practice! It was the koshinage throw that did it.

In gassho,

Mark

jennifer paige smith 07-10-2008 10:57 AM

I feel like I know you all just a little better today than yesterday.

this is obviously an important question rippling through society:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkeryr6TqZU

Spookin 07-10-2008 11:42 AM

Best of both worlds: Boxer-briefs.... They work wonders.

DonMagee 07-10-2008 12:09 PM

I wear compression shorts. Keeps em high and dry.

Ron Tisdale 07-10-2008 12:18 PM

boxer briefs...snug and comfy.

B,
R (always known for too much information) :D

Nick P. 07-10-2008 01:13 PM

COMMANDO!

Just like when skiing, you (by you I mean everyone, not you in particular) cant blame the gear for your own bad technique; what piece of equipment would you change if the "jarring" persisted with briefs or compression shorts?

Ron Tisdale 07-10-2008 01:20 PM

Quote:

what piece of equipment would you change if the "jarring" persisted with briefs or compression shorts?
Shite... :D

Best,
Ron

JamesC 07-10-2008 03:51 PM

Nick,

If you'll notice in my original post I suggested that my form was off. That was kind of my point in posting this thread.

I'm wondering if it IS an equipment problem or if there is just something wrong with my breakfall technique.

raul rodrigo 07-10-2008 06:29 PM

I suppose that the basic problem lies in how you fall and not what you're wearing. A teacher of mine doesn't wear anything underneath his gi pants and he has no trouble. On the other hand, with "equipment" as important as the one in question, a few extra precautions would not be out of line.

Nick P. 07-11-2008 06:38 AM

Hi James,

Ah, sorry. I know the few times, uh, things got squeezed it was because I allowed my feet/ankles/knees to come together. I think that with even the most supportive attire, it might reduce the discomfort, but not eliminate it. Hope that helps.

@Ron
Agreed!

@Jennifer
Not so much rippling as much as dangling back and forth....:)

dps 07-12-2008 06:24 AM

Boxers give me wedgies.

David

jennifer paige smith 07-12-2008 07:32 AM

Quote:

David Skaggs wrote: (Post 210953)
Boxers give me wedgies.

David

So, is that a 'Yes' or a 'No' for boxers :D ?

dps 07-12-2008 09:36 AM

:freaky: No!

eric_lecaptain 07-12-2008 10:29 AM

hahaha!!!
yeah, you dont want the boys getting slammed around too much! :uch:
maybe try a jock under some boxers....

eric~

Walter Martindale 07-22-2008 05:15 AM

Quote:

Jennifer Smith wrote: (Post 210737)
I feel like I know you all just a little better today than yesterday.

Ah, yes, but is it in the "too much information" category?

W

Walter Martindale 07-22-2008 05:23 AM

Quote:

Eric LeCaptain wrote: (Post 210965)
hahaha!!!
yeah, you dont want the boys getting slammed around too much! :uch:
maybe try a jock under some boxers....

eric~

I practiced judo in the early 70s before losing an ACL. The advice at the time was to wear nothing under the gi pants. There were a few reasons. First - as I understand it - gi pants are really underwear - modified at the knee and strengthened for things like judo, but - the hakama or something similar is normal outer wear - why wear underpants under underpants? Second (and third) - the rationale I was given by Jinks sensei (Dave Jinks, Vancouver YMCA Judo, I was there from 72-80)) was that the "boys" would shift out of the way a bit if being thrown by something like (say) uchimata, but if you wore a jock or briefs, the oysters would be held in place for that nasty leg to smunch.
Oh heck - look at the time. Alarm goes in way too few hours.
W

eric_lecaptain 07-22-2008 03:23 PM

Quote:

Walter Martindale wrote: (Post 211829)
I practiced judo in the early 70s before losing an ACL. The advice at the time was to wear nothing under the gi pants. There were a few reasons. First - as I understand it - gi pants are really underwear - modified at the knee and strengthened for things like judo, but - the hakama or something similar is normal outer wear - why wear underpants under underpants? Second (and third) - the rationale I was given by Jinks sensei (Dave Jinks, Vancouver YMCA Judo, I was there from 72-80)) was that the "boys" would shift out of the way a bit if being thrown by something like (say) uchimata, but if you wore a jock or briefs, the oysters would be held in place for that nasty leg to smunch.
W

wow! ok, thanks for the info.... :yuck:

bkedelen 07-22-2008 03:45 PM

I think part of the problem here is that inexpensive boxer briefs provide a lot less support than nice ones from mfgrs like Jockey. Sure they are $13 apiece, but if you can find a deal on them, they seem to keep everything corralled pretty well.

DonMagee 07-23-2008 05:39 AM

Quote:

Walter Martindale wrote: (Post 211829)
W

I have NEVER understood why judo has not adapted the universal rule of wear a cup. I always wear a cup and have actually gotten into arguments about it with judoka who claim it is illegal to wear a cup.

Of course they are not the ones who had to spend a night in the hospital after a 'training accident' either. One of the best advantages of a cup is when sized properly everything stays exactly where it belongs, and the steel ones sold at most fight shops online are basically bullet proof.

Beard of Chuck Norris 07-23-2008 09:26 AM

Underpants are a must under the old zubons... they are white dude.

:D

Don't know if they are universally known as "jockeys" or not but i always wear them... kind of elasticated boxers. Never boxers, they are a most unsatisfactory pant.

peace and love

Jo

(this is the most sensible topic i've seen on aikiweb for ages! .. I wonder when the personal insults will come in.... ;) :D)

chuunen baka 07-23-2008 10:11 AM

Quote:

Don Magee wrote: (Post 211972)
One of the best advantages of a cup is when sized properly everything stays exactly where it belongs, and the steel ones sold at most fight shops online are basically bullet proof.

Not something I'd like to have to prove. :blush: