AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Techniques (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Tenkan Katatetori (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12996)

belter 08-01-2007 02:20 PM

Tenkan Katatetori

Its been my observation that while doing a basic tenkan from same side grab is simple in principle, it is often difficult for new students to perform. I have an idea for a drill that may help. I have discussed it with some of the students at my dojo, but haven't showed it to beginers yet, and would like feedback.

Hold your arms nearly straight with palms together, or fingers interlaced. Bend your wrists away from the side that is grabbed, and down. Then perform your pivot with the wrist as the turning point. I hope this will hold the grabbed arm in a position approximating the proper form.

Mark Uttech 08-03-2007 09:12 PM

Re: Tenkan Katatetori

It's been done before. One way is holding onto your belt. I think it is called "cowboy tenkan" or "cowboy aikido"

In gassho,

Mark

Paul Milburn 12-06-2007 07:48 AM

yes, I have come across this one before. If Im right it will cause a horizontal deflection of power rather than a dip down vertical deflection.

grondahl 12-06-2007 07:58 AM

Why down? The point of the wrist that is grabbed should stay in the same point during tai no henko.

Mike James 12-06-2007 08:03 AM

I have students hold a paper plate stacked with imaginary cookies or brownies. They must offer the plate to their partner and pivot keeping the plate in front of them as well as keeping their hands together and parallel. Works great with kids too.

Paul Milburn 12-06-2007 08:22 AM

Quote:

Peter Gröndahl wrote: (Post 195176)
Why down? The point of the wrist that is grabbed should stay in the same point during tai no henko.

Some styles dip the wrist whereas others hold it as a pivot. When the wrist is dipped (as if scooping sand with the hand) the partners force is dropped and uke moves downwards.

Paul Milburn 12-06-2007 08:26 AM

another good method is to place a ten pence piece in ukes hand, place the back of tori's hand on the coin, during the tenkan movement both parties must maintain contact or the coin is dropped, if the coin is dropped i tell my students they can keep it!

Keith Larman 12-06-2007 08:37 AM

Quote:

Paul Milburn wrote: (Post 195181)
another good method is to place a ten pence piece in ukes hand, place the back of tori's hand on the coin, during the tenkan movement both parties must maintain contact or the coin is dropped, if the coin is dropped i tell my students they can keep it!

Seems to me you'd need a lot of coins with that incentive... ;)

asiawide 12-06-2007 08:38 AM

It's a very powerful movement(bear-hug at your waist level). I think it's because the body and the arms rotate together. Body movement is strong and the arms are firmly connected to body. One of my teachers showed it to me many years ago. But it was not easy to integrate that movement to techniques.

Paul Milburn 12-06-2007 11:19 AM

Quote:

Keith Larman wrote: (Post 195182)
Seems to me you'd need a lot of coins with that incentive... ;)

your right Keith, it can get very expensive lol!