AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Seated Aikido (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4846)

bluwing27 01-09-2004 06:22 AM

Seated Aikido

Hi All,

Im looking for some info and inspiration here guys....

Ive recently been asked to look into developing a seated aikido course/demonstration for the local age concern group i.e. a way infirm people can begin to train and develop balance, coordination etc whilst sitting down on a seat. However I have little experience in this field and would love some info or pointers if anyone is willing to help?

Cheers

Chris

happysod 01-09-2004 06:51 AM

Chris, dim and distant past stuff but my first instructor did run some similar courses for wheelchair users.

From my limited memory of this, techniques consisted mainly of adapting hani-handachi with an emphasis on grabs rather than strikes. Many of the kneeling ki tests can be used from a seated position, I can send you the ones we have if you'd like or other ki societies should have some lit. Some gentle bokken and jo work will aid in keeping a straight back/relaxed shoulders and help work on breathing.

Other than that all I can suggest is use some of the arm/upper body movements from various aikido techniques and adapt it into a kata somewhat like tai-chi.

Ted Marr 01-09-2004 06:57 AM

I may not no much about anything here, but it seems to me that a lot of balance and coordination, and indeed power, comes from your legs and hips moving. At most I would think you could teach a few (mostly wrist) techniques that didn't move much. (one of the katatatore shihonage hamni-handachi, possibly a nikkyo) But even then, you would be getting them through that first stage of "what goes where", but couldn't really teach the true power of the technique... the question is whether you're trying to develop granny Aikikai (in which case, hand 'em a weapon), or whether these are people you expect to come on the mat as soon as that nasty skiing injury (or whatever) heals.

SeiserL 01-09-2004 07:56 AM

Check out the work of Molly Hale. Watched her do a demonstration at Aiki Expo 02 from a wheel chair. Inspiring to say the least. There is also some documentary on her. Excellent.

bluwing27 01-14-2004 05:51 AM

[quote="I can send you the ones we have if you'd like or other ki societies should have some lit.[/QUOTE]That would be great! I would really appreciate it!

c.thompson@faulknerbrowns.co.uk

Cheers!

Chris

Janet Rosen 01-14-2004 11:18 AM

While its true that movement is generated in hips/feet, there is quite a lot one can do if one learns to connect/extend with the arm as an extension of the center, and there is quite a lot of movement available in simple weight-shifts from one buttock to the other, with or without a little hip rotation in the chair.