AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Aikido for Health (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6821)

Big Dave 10-31-2004 06:52 PM

Aikido for Health

Hi all,
Three years ago, I was diagnosed with advanced stage three cancer. After a year of treatments, which included two surgeries, 6 months of chemotherapy and radiation treatments, I decided that I needed to radically change my lifestyle, attitude, etc. Having cancer is a huge wake up call - I thought that martial arts might be helpful. I investigated a number of styles and decided on two to try - Tai Qi Quan and Aikido. I think these two really complement eachother.
I have now been doing them for one year and truly believe that they have helped me. Tai Qi has taught me how to breathe and relax in ways I never knew possible. Aikido has helped me physically and mentally re-adjust some of my attitudes about life and confrontation. In addition, I lost 52 pounds in one year, which cannot but help my overall health situation. I hope to lose another 40 or so this year. (I started at about 292) While the weight loss is significant, I really feel that the mental benefits of aikido are equally great. I just have this overall sense of well being that I do not remember having at earlier periods in my life. People who have known me many years have seen a profound difference in the way I carry myself and deal with life. (In a positive way)
I am curious if anyone else has had similar kinds of experiences with aikido and /or reasons for doing aikido.
Dave

SeiserL 11-01-2004 07:46 AM

Re: Aikido for Health

Compliments and appreciation. Yes, I was diagnosed with bad knees, shoulders, and disk bulges in the lumbar area. Was told if I stooped I would probably end up bent over and twisted to one side. Fat chance I am going to quit anyway, not. yes, I think the emphasis on posture and fluid motion has changed the way i move. I am certainly in better health and attitude.

Yokaze 11-04-2004 11:09 AM

This kind of thing is always humbling to hear, and very exciting. I'm glad that this art was able to help you cope with and work through your condition. Amazing just how much control the mind really has over the body.

Big Dave 11-06-2004 07:29 PM

Quote:

Rob Cunningham wrote:
This kind of thing is always humbling to hear, and very exciting. I'm glad that this art was able to help you cope with and work through your condition. Amazing just how much control the mind really has over the body.

I agree with you completely. I think that we in the West are only just beginning to understand the mind - body connection.
There are many in the cancer community who believe that a proper attitude can have real effects on one's ultimate prognosis.

Jeanne Shepard 11-06-2004 11:00 PM

The Aikido world is relatively small, and it does'nt take long for people to get t o know each other. The point I'm trying to make is that being part of a community where you're known (from dojo to larger Aikido community) is a very wholesome health inducing thing too.

Jeanne :p