AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Spiritual (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Living a good life (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2549)

Brian H 09-10-2002 01:51 PM

Living a good life

I was reading through some posts in this section, when my wife forwarded this link to me.

While it has nothing to do with Aikido, it seemed to strike an "Aiki" cord with me.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,62579,00.html

shihonage 09-10-2002 01:59 PM

It's a nice, touching story, although it definitely has nothing to do with the martial art of Aikido.

Bruce Baker 09-27-2002 04:50 PM

Of course there is the adversity of those who never seem to get a brake and "No good deed goes unpunished."

I thought the opening question had a lot of potential for exploration, but it does seem to have gotten off in the wrong direction as the story should have been put under "chit-chat" and not spiritual discussion of Aikido ... but if we are to learn the lessons of Aikido,and the means to bring it into lives as a reinforcement of what is good, what is worthwhile, and what our lessons will do to increase the clarity of our spiritual endeavors of faith, how can we ignore the most inane story?

Is it not a reflection of our outlook upon the use of Aikido to not see that the way we live, the stories we tell, and the way we use these lessons are key factors into creating the people we are when physically practice, or reach inside to find a spiritual clarity?

I'll tell you what ... let's throw out the link to that silly story, and look at the reflection of the question.

I do see some sensei, and students who live their lives in the "Rat Pack Style" or what I call the Sammy Davis syndrome, who would admit as quick as anyone that he would burn th candle at both ends, in the middle, and up around the sides. The simplicity of being a pious teacher is overturned by the humanity of drinking, smoking, womanizing, staying out all hours of the night, just to get back Aikido class with little sleep, and near exhaustion to teach the next day?

Usually that is the case for the younger up and coming teachers in their 20s to mid 40s, but in fact, are they living a good life, or living the good life?

What kind of spiritual morality, or duality does the student have to accept with their spiritual advisor in Aikido leading this type of life.

Not to pick apart the life each of us lead, but what kind of person should we be in living a good life in the pursuit of Aikido while being human in our own right. Where is the spiritual line drawn between understanding the tenents of Aikido's roots, practicing our own spiritual beliefs, and blending the lessons of Aikido into our daily lives.

Tell me, what do you think is the ideal representation to living a good life in training in Aikido ... and what is the reality of our lives and human weaknesses.

Kevin Leavitt 09-28-2002 10:47 PM

Each individual must define the parameters of his/her own life. The nature of duality compels us to judge ourselves and others against a standard that is at best arbitrary.

While we can almost all agree that some actions are "good" and some actions are "bad" it really is difficult to dichotomize each and everything another person does and try and fit it into one of these two "boxes".

As humans, we must all find our own path to peace with ourselves and the world. In doing so, I think we must constantly be mindful that our actions no matter how small have an effect on the life force energy either positive or negative.

If we must judge actions, then they should be judged on how much discord and harm they cause to ourselves and the world.

I think the idea "good life" for aikido is one that allows you to realize your fullest potential as a human being, and reach peace and harmony with the world.

For some it may be wearing white robes, not drinking alcohol, not eating meat, and meditating and practicing aikido 12 hours a day..for others it may be simply going to a 1 hour class, and spending more time with your kids and family, or visiting an old folks home.

What I am getting at is that we must all choose our own path and Aikido is a methodology of training that can help guide us...nothing more, nothing less.

Brian Crowley 09-29-2002 08:24 AM

"Silly story" ? Nothing to do with the art of Aikido ? I disagree and think perhaps the discussions on the duality of the aikidoka with the "rat pack style" should have been started on a new thread.

If Aikido doesn't bring us bring us closer to acting like the man with red bandana, then maybe we should give it up. People claim that Aikido is about being centered in moments of chaos and love of humanity (even love of our attackers). Yet when a example of these attributes is posted, it gets criticized and the topic is changed away from the "inane" and "silly" link, in a somewhat condescending manner.

Brian

Brian H 10-08-2002 01:46 PM

If he had not thought of others and saving lives, he would have lived. People he helped had time to escape, so if that had been his priority, he would have had time to make it out before the towers fell.

Risking your own life to protect others, potentially even the person who would do you harm (in the context of Aikido), is many things, but not "silly."

I my eyes, by fighting death and chaos, he died a warrior.

Kevin Leavitt 10-08-2002 08:50 PM

reminds me of a proverb one of my Ranger instructors told me one time....(sort of related).

"know the difference between Hooah and Stupid"

Jumping out of an airplane on an night airborne mission in full combat gear is hooah....doing it drunk and naked for fun...well that is stupid!

Running into a burning building to save lives is hooah, not silly.....getting drunk, catching the building on fire and seeing how many times you can make it in and out to save your beer...well....STUPID!

Jason Tonks 10-09-2002 03:06 AM

What a brave man. I have to agree with Brian here. He died a warrior without a doubt. I too believe this has a lot to do with the deeper code and ethics at the heart of Aikido

All the best

Jason T