AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Latest Accomplishment? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23650)

akiy 05-28-2014 09:43 AM

Latest Accomplishment?

Hi folks,

So, what's the latest accomplishment in aikido that you're proud of?

-- Jun

SeiserL 05-28-2014 10:02 AM

Re: Latest Accomplishment?

I trained this morning ...

jonreading 05-28-2014 10:21 AM

Quote:

Lynn Seiser wrote: (Post 337312)
I trained this morning ...

Not possible, we don't have morning classes. Wait a minute... :)

Edgecrusher 05-28-2014 10:35 AM

My continued interest and passion for the art.

Joe Ricard 05-28-2014 11:15 AM

I understand enough to teach lower Kyu ranks how some VERY BASIC techniques should look. :rolleyes:

Phil Van Treese 05-28-2014 11:20 AM

Putting Toui Shou into practice in conjunction with aikido techniques and have them work awesomely.

Janet Rosen 05-28-2014 01:27 PM

Hmmm hard to choose between:
1. "graduating" my six middle-aged non-martial-arts students with rudimentary rolling/falling skills
2. finally after much repetition and oodles of frustration (mine AND I'm sure my partner's and instructor's...) getting past ingrained "muscle memory" to stop doing a specific long-habitual blend in response to a specific attack and instead do what my instructor wanted me to do.

Mario Tobias 05-28-2014 03:03 PM

-not getting frustrated if I fail and changing my mindset that failure is a good thing and a requirement to succeed

Dave de Vos 05-28-2014 04:08 PM

Some training partners that used to correct me a lot, are giving me a thumbs up more regularly in recent months. I noticed this trend simultaneously in both dojo's where I train (different aikido styles)
I consider this to be an accomplishment!

robin_jet_alt 05-28-2014 05:11 PM

I was quite happy with my progress in performing seated kokyu-ho the other day.

Jonathan 05-28-2014 05:15 PM

Quote:

My adaptations of Aikido technique to more modern attacks (crosses, jabs, hooks, straights, chest shoves, double leg takedowns, etc.) It's been fascinating and fun to work out these adaptations and in so doing come to understand Aikido principles even better.

lbb 05-28-2014 07:10 PM

I keep showing up and getting on the mat and training.

Mary Eastland 05-29-2014 06:31 AM

being able to accept correction more gracefully. How about you, Jun?

phitruong 05-29-2014 07:42 AM

posting less relevant stuffs on aikiweb. is that even consider an accomplishment? :)

robin_jet_alt 05-29-2014 10:07 PM

Quote:

Phi Truong wrote: (Post 337355)
posting less relevant stuffs on aikiweb. is that even consider an accomplishment? :)

Hey, as long as you're proud of it :)

Shadowfax 05-30-2014 06:17 PM

I was able to attend the 40th anniversary seminar at Oberlin College (Ohio) this spring. This required a massive life and career chage in order to even begin to be able to afford the trip. A year ago it would have been impossible. Add to this the fact that I was able to train in every class of every day and only had to sit out for a small portion of several ,despite significant knee pain. :)

JP3 05-31-2014 03:29 PM

Quote:

Jun Akiyama wrote: (Post 337310)
Hi folks,
-- Jun

As teacher, got an older guy who'd been with me some years to nidan, and a younger guy who did his uke partner through that also, and the accomplishment was quite different from my perspective for one as compared to the other. Older guy had physical limitations (artificial knee, and the other one needs the surgery and he's doing his best to hold off on it, hip & lower back issues, etc.) still has the best ukemi in the dojo of the student body base. Younger guy had some fundamental flaws in his technique (from our perspective), I offered him the choice of not worrying about it, or trying to tear down the trained-in flaws and try to sand them down, and build them back up the more coorect way (again, from my perspective), and he took the harder course and seems better for it now.

Personally, not truly "aikido" I don't suppose, but have been working on Popkin's abdominal "gut ball" stuff and it's doing some neat-o things for close encounters, meaning, tight spaces with no real room to move. Fun stuff!

Krystal Locke 06-09-2014 04:52 PM

I took a front roll the other night.

Maybe tonight I'll take two.

Mark Uttech 06-10-2014 05:24 AM

Onegaishimasu, I consider it an accomplishment just to keep going day by day nearly 30 years.

PeterR 06-10-2014 05:50 AM

Last weekend I refereed a London Inner-city school competition. Normally I stay well clear of kids and kids classes - just don't like doing it.

I managed to have fun doing it. My voice survived. Learnt that maybe kids are not so bad after all. There was some half decent aikido being done.