AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Books on Shinwa and or Shin'ei taido? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22670)

ChrisHein 05-14-2013 11:10 AM

Books on Shinwa and or Shin'ei taido?

I've been interested in learning more on Shin'ei taido, Noriaki Inoue's take on Aiki Budo, are there any books on the subject? It's very hard to find information about it. And outside of a group in the midwest (US) I can't find anyone practicing the system, or written accounts of the system.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Rob Watson 05-14-2013 01:10 PM

Re: Books on Shinwa and or Shin'ei taido?

Have you seen the DVD on Aikido Journal?

Ellis Amdur 05-14-2013 05:34 PM

Chris - It is all quite cryptic. I'm actually working on a piece, gathering together the data I can assemble. It'll either be a chapter in Dueling with Osensei (2nd edition) or a stand-alone essay. What I can say is that Inoue blew people away at one point - including very powerful and scary karateka, including Egami Shigeru, who studied with him eight years. I've been told that Egami kept a diary of his training - but that it's held by the family. Shotokai, his erstwhile organization has broken into many factions - the politics should be quite familiar to aikidoka - and at least right now, there seems no way to get access to the diary.

In his latter years, Inoue - well, you've probably seen the later part of the AJ film - it's painful to watch - apparently, he didn't leave any strong successors in his own group. His legacy seems to be more in principles absorbed by the karateka - and even there, it seems to be watered down.

Best
Ellis Amdur

Alex Megann 05-15-2013 05:48 AM

I wasn't aware of the connection between Inoue and the Shotokai.

I have long been intrigued by what I have seen of Mitsusuke Harada, the head of Shotokai here in the UK, and a student of Egami's, and have strongly suspected that he has had some connection with an Aiki art. I know he has friends within the aikido community (Chiba Sensei, in particular), but I assumed that that was as far as the influence went.

Here is a short (poor quality, I'm afraid) clip of Harada demonstrating - this is definitely not your standard JKA Shotokan karate!

Alex

phitruong 05-15-2013 05:58 AM

Quote:

Alex Megann wrote: (Post 326661)

Here is a short (poor quality, I'm afraid) clip of Harada demonstrating - this is definitely not your standard JKA Shotokan karate!

Alex

that is beautiful! for a moment there, i thought he did aikido. yup, not the standard Shotokan for sure.

Alex Megann 05-15-2013 08:42 AM

Here's a YouTube clip of Noriaki Inoue. Can anyone date this film?

I found it fascinating - in his manner and body movement he is the closest to pre-war O-Sensei I have seen...

Alex

ChrisHein 05-15-2013 01:44 PM

I have watched the AJ Inoue film many times, I think it's a great resource. I am looking for some written accounts of the Shin'ei teido syllabus. It's a shame that Inoue didn't have any great students, I like the way he moves, and what appears to be his take on Aiki(do, budo, etc).