AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Ru-dy! Ru-dy! Ru-dy! (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4719)

Suzanne Cooper 12-01-2003 09:32 PM

Ru-dy! Ru-dy! Ru-dy!

Hello!

Has anyone seen that great football movie "Rudy"? Sean Astin plays a student determined to play football for the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame University.

As a co-worker of his reminds him, "You're five foot nothin', a hundred pounds of nothin'"--Rudy wants to quit, but his co-worker is reminding him that he has already succeeded against astronomical odds when he succeeded at practice every day. He hangs tough, and does indeed make it into the last two plays of the last game of his senior year. And he sacks the quarterback. And he's carried off the field by the very players who started a chant when it looked like he wouldn't make it into the game: "Ru-dy! "Ru-dy! Ru-dy!"

Ladies and gentlemen, I feel like the Rudy of aikido.

One thing's for sure--I'm blessed with amazing Senseis (is that the correct plural spelling??). I hope I don't give up on myself.

Jeff Tibbetts 12-02-2003 12:30 AM

Re: Ru-dy! Ru-dy! Ru-dy!

Quote:

Suzanne Cooper wrote:
One thing's for sure--I'm blessed with amazing Senseis (is that the correct plural spelling??). I hope I don't give up on myself.

I could well be wrong, but I am under the impression that there are no plural words in Japanese. It would just be "sensei." One person I know mentioned that if a word is considered "English" now (such as "samurais" or "ninjas") then you can make it plural, but I don't buy that.

What inspired you to make this post, anyway? I'm not trying to be rude, but where did this come from? It doesn't seem connected to anything else at all...

Yann Golanski 12-02-2003 02:38 AM

Yes, japanese has no plural. For example: Shichi-nin samurai is Seven samurai.

Thalib 12-02-2003 03:07 AM

You could add "-tachi" in the end. I believe "-tachi" could only be used as subjects though, not as objects in a sentence.

watashi-tachi -> us, we

anata-tachi -> you (plural)

sensei-tachi -> sensei's group

Cooper-san-tachi -> Cooper-san's group...

wait a minute... come to think of it... it does have a different meaning... ;p

Tim Griffiths 12-02-2003 04:18 AM

Re: Re: Ru-dy! Ru-dy! Ru-dy!

Quote:

Jeff Tibbetts wrote:
What inspired you to make this post, anyway? I'm not trying to be rude, but where did this come from? It doesn't seem connected to anything else at all...

...and that would be unusual here because...?

There was the word aikido in it, after all.

Suzanne - I'm jealous. I've never been carried off the mat by a bunch of football players chanting my name.

I've been carried off the mat, but I was unconcious at the time, so I don't remember anything about it.

Tim

Suzanne Cooper 12-02-2003 10:01 PM

Hi Jeff--

I was just feeling momentary discouragement this week at how unsuited I am to aikido.

I was looking for motivation to continue and remembered 'Rudy'. If he was capable of being a football player, then I can progress in aikido.

Hi Tim--

Egads--carried off the mat! But I'll bet you landed gracefully! :cool:

May Hashem hold you in the palm of His hand, you being in such a holy yet beset area. I'm delighted to hear of a dojo there.

Lyle Bogin 12-02-2003 10:18 PM

You don't have to be suited to aikido.

No real need to be good at it.

You might want to enjoy it, however ;).

Suzanne Cooper 12-02-2003 10:42 PM

Thanks Lyle! Good advice! :D

Lan Powers 12-02-2003 11:15 PM

I like the way Lyle thinks, don't you?

:)

Lan

Nick Simpson 12-05-2003 06:08 AM

This is completely immature, but can anyone remember "Hook" the movie with Robin Williams and Dustin Hoffman?

How cool would it be if you got called up to randori and everyone started chanting "RU-FI-O!" :p (he was so much cooler than peter pan).

Marxama 12-05-2003 07:36 AM

*adding to the Japanese stuff*

Beside the -tachi form, Japanese also form plural meanings by sometimes using the same word twice. "ware", while being rather unusual, means "I", and "wareware" means "we". "hito" means "person", while "hitobito" (where the second "h" has been changed to a "b", since that is the way of the Japanese sounds ;)), means "people".

To answer the actual question: No, you don't say "senseis" ;)

Chris Linneman 12-05-2003 09:48 AM

The only failures I've ever seen in any martial art (an in many other aspects of life) are those that quit. We had a saying in my karate school: "a black belt is nothing more than a white belt that never quit".

Of course there's the Cal-Tech saying: "the beauty of banging your head on a brick wall is that it feels really good when you stop". But those guys are crazy.