AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Weapons (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   all 7 suburi in one go? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20871)

dapidmini 02-16-2012 03:59 AM

all 7 suburi in one go?

Hi, I've just watched Morihiro Saito Sensei's 7 suburi video.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y1iXm89jI0 and I'm wondering if you guys practise them daily? and if you do, do you practise them all in one go?

grondahl 02-16-2012 05:07 AM

Re: all 7 suburi in one go?

What do you mean "in one go": as a single prolonged exercise or 1 then 2 etc?

Rob Watson 02-16-2012 11:00 AM

Throw in hachi and do all 8 every day ... sometimes more - also 31 and 13 jo kata. kentaijo, kumi ken and jo .... If I could remember the 20 jo suburi I'd do that too. Takes only ~6 minutes to run through the whole set listed. Not a big deal really.

hughrbeyer 02-16-2012 07:35 PM

I'm not sure what the official word is on practicing these, but I'd do like 100 of #1, 100 of #2, etc. For the walking suburi, I think Saito is just turning when he hits a wall or the limits of the camera angle. I'd do them across the practice space and back again. In suburi practice, you're going for reps. What you learn from the first 100 isn't what you learn from the tenth 100.

gates 02-16-2012 08:09 PM

Better to do one correctly 100 times than 100 incorrectly once.
The devil is in the detail (by devil I mean latent truths).

lars beyer 03-18-2012 01:41 AM

Dear David,
I try to practise suburi on a daily basis, both jo and ken suburi.. but it takes time.
I also experience that some people make up their own forms, like linking the various suburi into flowing patterns in order to save time but I donīt think this is correct fro the basic practise.

Suburi is suburi and is meant as a tool to study the infinite details of a single blow with the ken or jo before moving towards advanced partner practise.
My sensei compare it to musicians playing scales every day in order to develop effortless technique.

Focus, grip, hip, feet, extension, balance, inward and outward attention, grounding, kokyo, kime, transmission of power, ki.........(!), ying / yang........(!), breath, kjai, zanshin.. these are only some of the elements that can be studied in detail during suburu practise, and I am sure there must be many more, so doing suburi fast linking them together in order to be able to practise them in a quick manner before you go to work each day will not facilitate this I think.

Offcourse itīs possible to do suburi in 1000 ways and sometimes focus on speed and raw power but not as a rule of thumb. Speed and power comes gradually with practise and should not be the main focus and as a rule of thumb never alter the basic form... there is a reason for the basic forms and beginners like us would never understand fully why anyway and by altering them we would miss the chance to learn why and develop our technique. But I guess if you know you are doing experiments you should offcourse do so, but donīt make it a habit.

So itīs true that 10 suburi done with heart and sincerity and 100 % focus is far better than 1000 suburi done in a hurry without attention to detail. And offcourse a good teacher is mandatory since many people, myself included, seem to add an infinite number of mistakes to techniques during solo practises.

Best regards
Lars

edshockley 05-03-2012 02:47 PM

There is no one way to practice and so the important thing is that you do practice, reflect, refine and receive supervision. Manogue Sensei once told me that, "the sword teaches" but without at least periodic input from other eyes it is possible to encode ineffective habits. I am lucky to often have hours alone in the dojo before and after regular class or during a Sunday morning class when no one shows up. In light of an earlier post I must assume that I practice slowly because it takes me the full 90 minutes to perform/practice the suburi, 13, 31, 6 and corresponding counters.

Leonaiki 05-09-2012 12:53 AM

I have practiced the suburi daily for 18 months including the furibo. I came to think that they are fundamental provided you are given the prpoer exercise/guidance. You need to understand the technique its goal and then experiment for yourself. Doing them in a flow can be interesting but it should remain a minor practice.
There is no end to suburi. You can discover things you would have never suspected. With time, your interest changes as you improve/progress but somehow you always come back to basics.
Good practice.

Mark Uttech 05-10-2012 03:56 AM

Onegaishimasu, I have found it helpful to make the end of one suburi the beginning of the next suburi, so that beginning students learn to connect them.
In gassho,
Mark