AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Weapons (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   fat bokken (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9381)

sithknight 12-02-2005 01:30 PM

fat bokken

In are dojo, there is a fat bokken, well not super fat, but more wood to it, except on the handle, its like heavy, and you can hit a tire with it and it won't break. Well they told me the name but i forgot it, any1 know?

akiy 12-02-2005 01:33 PM

Re: fat bokken

http://www.aikiweb.com/wiki/suburito

-- Jun

James Davis 12-02-2005 03:53 PM

Quote:

Angel Alcantar wrote:
In are dojo, there is a fat bokken, well not super fat, but more wood to it, except on the handle, its like heavy, and you can hit a tire with it and it won't break. Well they told me the name but i forgot it, any1 know?

Suburito?

Ulises Garcia 12-02-2005 04:09 PM

Well, that's odd. I've had one for two years now, and I didn't know what it was called either. I referred to it as the "big bad bokken", or "rowing oar" bokken. Damn, those excercises are painful. The regular bokken feels light as a feather after that... :D

-U-

MaryKaye 12-02-2005 05:44 PM

We have one too; we always laugh at the hapless person who picks it up from the rack....

It does look more like a burrito than the average bokken, come to think of it.

Mary Kaye

Derek Gaudet 12-02-2005 08:05 PM

Suburito is an excellent tool for training in Kenjutsu. Many sword schools use them. As the link above says they are mainly for developing form and forearms like Popeye's ;) . Basically if you can keep form with one then it helps when your using shinken or Bokuto. They are not typically used for kumitachi or tachidori, but rather just development of form in Japanese swordsmanship. I've handled one before, it's a good workout. I should get around to getting my own...

Ulises Garcia 12-02-2005 11:35 PM

Quote:

Mary Kuhner wrote:
We have one too; we always laugh at the hapless person who picks it up from the rack....

It does look more like a burrito than the average bokken, come to think of it.

Mary Kaye

I nearly laughed my head off when I first learned the name. In spanish, "Suburito" sounds close to "su burrito", which means "his burrito". Anybody hungry? I have "su-burito"... :D

-U-

Mark Uttech 12-03-2005 06:46 AM

Someone should mention that training with heavy weapons has the downside of causing calcum buildups in the wrists.

In gassho

Chizikunbo 12-03-2005 07:12 AM

In Ryukyu Kempo (Oyata lineage) we use a Suburito regularly, when I cam to Aikido I was amazed with the bokken for the Aiki-ken excersizes, it was like a sparrow tail lol. I love them both, but for things like Eishin Ryu Iaido which we use a live blade for or a Bokken, I must say I love the bokken hands down, my suburito weighs a ton! Using it constantly for two hours is a bit much :-)

Derek Gaudet 12-03-2005 09:41 AM

Quote:

Ulises Garcia wrote:
I nearly laughed my head off when I first learned the name. In spanish, "Suburito" sounds close to "su burrito", which means "his burrito". Anybody hungry? I have "su-burito"... :D

-U-

Well I think the reason for the name has something to do with the breakdown of the word. Suburito- "Suburi: core movements, I've seen the term in Kenjutsu, Probably has something to do with building on the core movements. And the second part "To" : which is yet another word used for sword, much like "bokuto"- Wood Sword, or "Koto"- old sword.
I guess Su burrito is another way of looking at it ;) .

sithknight 12-03-2005 11:00 AM

Hey thanks, now all i have to do is get me a Suburito, any1 know a good place to get them?, now 4 some reason, i want a burrito xD

grondahl 12-03-2005 12:59 PM

Since you train in Pat Hendricks dojo i would guess that a suburito is not what your looking for. Rather a "Iwama style bokken", a little thicker than the ordinary ones and with a blunt tip. They can be used for both suburi, tanren and partner practice.
Something like this http://aikido.tozando.com/abwo.html

Chuck.Gordon 12-03-2005 02:20 PM

Just FYI ... It does not rhyme with burrito.

sithknight 12-03-2005 04:26 PM

well, suburito bokken can help you with your strikes, a lot, but then again, it would be nice to have both

sithknight 12-03-2005 04:28 PM

wow, there like cheaper than bokken!

Nick Simpson 12-05-2005 04:37 AM

Seen some monster variations on these in japan, octagonal shaped ones and actual oar shaped ones in imitation of the weapon musashi killed saskai kojiro with. My standard one is enough for me, although you might want to ask Tim about the homemade 'bokken' he made sometime...

Tim Gerrard 12-05-2005 07:20 AM

Yep the 'soul edge' is still alive and kicking. Nearly did my back in for the first couple of weeks. I'll try and find a photo for you guys.....

Nick Simpson 12-05-2005 09:36 AM

Please dear god, dont tell me you still have that? It is awesome like. Wait till you guys see the photo...

Tim Gerrard 12-05-2005 10:45 AM

Course, and it's still in regular use too! Why do 200 cuts, when 40 does the same job? :D

Kent Enfield 12-05-2005 03:22 PM

Quote:

Derek Gaudet wrote:
Well I think the reason for the name has something to do with the breakdown of the word. Suburito- "Suburi: core movements, I've seen the term in Kenjutsu.

"Suburi" does not mean "core movements." Well, I suppose it could be translated that way in an appropriate context. Rather, it means "basic swing(ing)." In kendo at least, it always refers to solo practice of strikes and related drills (jogeburi, nanameburi, etc.).

Derek Gaudet 12-05-2005 04:12 PM

Agreed. I never meant it as a direct translation, just in Kenjutsu and Iai, I have heard it used when talking about core movements, which could mean basic techniques, basic swings, basic movements, what have you. Remember Japanese words can have several meanings, or variations of their translation depending on how they are used. It was just a thought about why this training tool was called Suburito.

JohnSeavitt 12-06-2005 03:06 PM

Quote:

Kent Enfield wrote:
it always refers to solo practice of strikes ...

Indeed; interestingly, it is also used to describe practice swings of a baseball bat. However, hit a ball with that bat and it isn't suburi anymore.

John

akiy 12-06-2005 03:27 PM

Quote:

John Seavitt wrote:
Indeed; interestingly, it is also used to describe practice swings of a baseball bat. However, hit a ball with that bat and it isn't suburi anymore.

That's why I'd translate the "su" in "suburi" as "bare" -- a "bare swing" that doesn't hit anything.

-- Jun

Derek Gaudet 12-06-2005 05:17 PM

Quote:

Jun Akiyama wrote:
That's why I'd translate the "su" in "suburi" as "bare" -- a "bare swing" that doesn't hit anything.

-- Jun

We learn something new everyday. Good to know Jun. Add it to my dictionary ;) .

sithknight 12-06-2005 06:06 PM

does to mean anything? (suburi*to*)