AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Language (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   meaning of "osu" (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13855)

Fred L 01-25-2008 01:07 PM

meaning of "osu"

I recently started training at a Yoshinkan dojo. They frequently use the term "osu" for al sorts of things like "hello", "thank you", etc. Their explanation to me was that the word is not used in conversational japanese, and that it is similar to the "hooyah!" used by marines. Can any of you guys elaborate?

thanks

Fred

odudog 01-25-2008 01:23 PM

Re: meaning of "osu"

The real meaning of osu is push. But it is also used as slang as hooray as you posted as well as yes, understand, got it, OK, hello, etc... What ever the context of the conversation is, if you say osu, it will mean what ever the answer should be. However, don't say it in an Aikikai dojo for we don't use it. I found that out the hard way at Aikikai Honbu dojo. My previous style used the word and I had thought that all Aikido used it.

Ron Tisdale 01-25-2008 01:37 PM

It is considered rather rude outside of most "tough guy" contexts. You'll see it in men's university clubs (judo, some kendo I hear, etc), the Yoshinkan, some karate dojo, places like that. There are some good posts on www.e-budo.com and an old article by Robert Mustard on alt-rec.martial-arts or one of those news groups. I'd have to search for it myself now...

Best,
Ron

Josh Reyer 01-25-2008 01:45 PM

Ohayo gozaimasu - Generally, "Good morning", but really a kind of generic greeting, particularly in certain industries where it is used at any time of the day.
Ohayossu - Shortened version of above.
Owasu - Shortened version of above.
O(s)su - Shortened version of above. Often used by young men as a greeting to each other and in manly pursuits (budo, sports, etc) as multipurpose sound of acknowledgment. There are a number of variations, like "Ussu!" and "Wiisu!"

Technically, there are no official kanji for it, since it's contracted word. However, 押忍 (characters for "push" and "endurance") are often used unofficially.

Kent Enfield 01-25-2008 06:48 PM

Quote:

Joshua Reyer wrote: (Post 197947)
Ohayo gozaimasu - Generally, "Good morning", but really a kind of generic greeting, particularly in certain industries where it is used at any time of the day.

And regions, too. Up here in Miyagi, it seems to be the normal greeting for the first time you see someone in a day.

xuzen 01-25-2008 07:51 PM

Yosinkan peepul no very breit, limited vocabulari..... so Osu use make easy everything.

Osu!

Boon.

SteveTrinkle 01-25-2008 09:29 PM

Maybe (just for fun) check out some cool Yakuza films! Especially with Beat Takeshi - great stuff!

(Hello Ron, hope all's well)

Eric Joyce 01-26-2008 01:56 PM

From my Yoshinkan days, my teacher told me it meant s strong budo salutation.

Odudog, what do you mean you found out the "hard way" when you used the word Osu in the presence of the Aikikai?

odudog 01-26-2008 06:14 PM

I used it the first time I was at the Aikikai Honbu dojo within a few minutes of being in the building. The guy I used it on just happened to have come out of the office in which Doshu was located in. The guy stopped me and told me politely yet in a stern manner that osu was for Karate, this is Aikido, so no osu. I thought I was doing the right thing but it seems like I just made a fool of myself.

Eric Joyce 01-26-2008 08:10 PM

Quote:

Mike Braxton wrote: (Post 198005)
I used it the first time I was at the Aikikai Honbu dojo within a few minutes of being in the building. The guy I used it on just happened to have come out of the office in which Doshu was located in. The guy stopped me and told me politely yet in a stern manner that osu was for Karate, this is Aikido, so no osu. I thought I was doing the right thing but it seems like I just made a fool of myself.

Oh I see. Well, you were doing what you thought was the right thing. His state regarding "Osu is for karate" was a bit myopic. But, when in Rome... :)

Beard of Chuck Norris 01-28-2008 11:55 AM

Quote:

Joshua Reyer wrote: (Post 197947)
Ohayossu - Shortened version of above.
Owasu - Shortened version of above.
O(s)su - Shortened version of above. Often used by young men as a greeting to each other and in manly pursuits (budo, sports, etc) as multipurpose sound of acknowledgment. There are a number of variations, like "Ussu!" and "Wiisu!"

Technically, there are no official kanji for it, since it's contracted word. However, 押忍 (characters for "push" and "endurance") are often used unofficially.

Interesting.
I thought it was abbreviated "onegai shimasu".

Oh well, just one more think I got wrong ;)

peace and love

Jo

akiy 01-28-2008 12:06 PM

Here's an old thread discussing this topic:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1998

Also, here's a link to 24fightingchickens.com that discusses the term and its use in karate:

http://www.24fightingchickens.com/20...-usage-of-osu/

-- Jun

Ron Tisdale 01-28-2008 12:43 PM

I remember that thread! Just too lazy to look it up...Thanks Jun!

B,
R :D (Vipi?!?)

Fred L 01-29-2008 12:02 PM

Great links.

Osu! :D

Fred

Rupert Atkinson 01-30-2008 02:13 AM

Quote:

Jo Duncan wrote: (Post 198110)
Interesting.
I thought it was abbreviated "onegai shimasu".
Oh well, just one more think I got wrong ;)
Jo

I think you got it right.

KamiKaze_Evolution 02-01-2008 05:05 AM

Osu = ohayo gozaimasu + onegai shimasu
and "be patience with myself and others"

I am Yoshinkan folk too!

Rocky Izumi 02-03-2008 01:26 PM

I asked my Shihan about this since he doesn't like the term even though he comes from Karate. I have to apologize to some since I had incorrectly put down in another writing somewhere else that it was a short version of some things like Ohio Gozaimasu. That is, at least, what I had learned earlier.

However, after inquiring with my Shihan and my father, I learned that the term and its written form (which gives the real meaning) in Japanese is as in Push. The term was apparently used by a group of people undergoing pioneer training for resettlement of Manchuria by Japanese. These people were, by some accounts, close to fanatical racist fascists, at least they seem to have some connection with those types of people. That is why my parents and my Shihan never liked people using the term, I guess. It brings back the ideals of the fascists according to my father. The term was used to expound the idea that they will push through any problems like Gambatte. So Sensei would say, Gambatte, and the student would say Osu! I was told not to be so impolite when I used Osu so instead, I used Gamabri Masu or just Hai.

Knowing where it comes from, I won't let my students or people attending my seminars use it. I don't need a bunch of fanatical racist fascist type people in my classes. Hai is fine enough for my students and me.

Rock

Michael Hackett 02-03-2008 09:46 PM

I've never heard the term used, and I wouldn't know "osu" from an old shoe, but I am reminded of the way we Californians can use the word "dude". A friend of mine and I had a great time with "dude" in staff meetings and the like - we were both executive level members of a governmental agency and we enjoyed quite a chuckle out of using the word to express almost any emotion. Those around us probably thought we were louts too.

Walker 02-04-2008 12:35 AM

Every time I hear "osu" Salt N Pepa cranks up the beat in my head:

Ah, push it - push it good
Ah, push it - push it real good
Ah, push it - push it good
Ah, push it - p-push it real good

Oooh, baby, baby
Baby, baby
Oooh, baby, baby
B-baby, baby

xuzen 02-04-2008 02:49 AM

Quote:

Anthony Wong wrote: (Post 198386)
Osu = ohayo gozaimasu + onegai shimasu
and "be patience with myself and others"

I am Yoshinkan folk too!

That is also the same explaination I have been told... from another Yoshi-Orge (TM)/

Boon.

SeiserL 02-04-2008 05:40 AM

I had heard it used as a greeting between warriors.