AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   E-budo site attacked/hacked? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7674)

BC 03-04-2005 12:18 PM

E-budo site attacked/hacked?

Has anyone else attempted to get onto E-budo today and found it to have been hacked? I've sent a message to the site admin., but haven't heard back.

Regards,

George S. Ledyard 03-04-2005 12:22 PM

Re: E-budo site attacked/hacked?

Quote:

Robert Cronin wrote:
Has anyone else attempted to get onto E-budo today and found it to have been hacked? I've sent a message to the site admin., but haven't heard back.

Regards,

Oh yeah, I'd say that qualifies as hacked...

rob_liberti 03-04-2005 01:17 PM

It's a pretty cool looking hack page really. The hacker put their email in the page source: soofaa@hotmail.com

So I imagine, the e-budo sys-op should probably email the support at hotmail and at least have that id terminated. I wonder if they keep records of which IP Address logs into their email accounts? I would, but I'm just that way.

Rob

bkedelen 03-04-2005 01:29 PM

I agree, that is a really nice jolly roger execution. Hotmail would have to have many terabytes of disk space to store logs of user logins. In addition, anyone who can take over a high profile website already commands an extensive network of computers which have been compromised without the administrator's knowledge and can be used to check bogus hotmail accounts with impunity. On one hand it is a shame someone can be so destructive and still get away with posting their email address, but on the other hand this is the only way the internet can stay the amazing frontier that it is. If you demand that governments be able to track down anyone using the internet, you had better be sure that you will never be a dissident of any of those governments in the future.

rob_liberti 03-04-2005 01:45 PM

That is certainly a valid point, but it is not a given that the hacker did access their email from a compromised site everytime, or that hotmail doesn't keep track of say the last 5 IP Addresses used to access each ID. People make stupid mistakes all of the time. Also, that would be a drop in the bucket in terms of storage compared to the amount of storage they must already be using to store all of that email.

Your point about being a dissident lead me to an interesting article here:

http://www.motherjones.com/news/qa/2...we_268_01.html

bkedelen 03-04-2005 01:55 PM

Great article Rob! Of course no government will allow a medium which can be used by dissidents to remain unregulated for long. We should all enjoy the internet while it lasts.

MitchMZ 03-04-2005 02:17 PM

My question is: What does a martial arts site have to do with the US or Israel? Of course, there is always a chance that one of the open political discussions on E-Budo made someone angry. Still, to me it is about the equivalent of punching an old lady in line at the store cause your angry about your job. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. :grr:

Fred Little 03-04-2005 03:05 PM

Quote:

Mitch Kuntz wrote:
My question is: What does a martial arts site have to do with the US or Israel? Of course, there is always a chance that one of the open political discussions on E-Budo made someone angry. Still, to me it is about the equivalent of punching an old lady in line at the store cause your angry about your job. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. :grr:

The political discussions have largely been moved to a "specially requested access only" area of e-budo for some time.

However, one of the site's owner/operators has been quite publicly open about his work in Iraq as a civilian contractor. Given the US government's policy of declaring such individuals fighting AGAINST US forces or interests as "unlawful combatants," and widespread characterizations in the Middle Eastern press of US civilian contractors as "mercenaries," it's an easy jump to the purely speculative conclusion that the hack was a retaliation.

But.......there being no evidence that the e-mail posted is real, or any confirmed reports of anyone taking credit for the hack, the only evidence that suggests a Middle East connection is the substituted screen, which could be nothing more than an easy misdirection from the perpetrator's real identity, or something as cynical as a conscious "black psy-op" intended to arouse anti-Muslim sentiment in the small corner of the cyber-universe where martial artists meet to yammer.

All of which is too bad, since E-Budo generally manages to allow discussions to range more widely than most other MA boards, while still maintaining a relatively high level of content and decorum (and some large measure of credit should be given to Peter Goldsbury for his work there as a moderator, a difficult job he has managed with no small measure of aplomb).

It will be interesting to see if any substantive information about the source of the hack turns up.

Best,

Fred Little

Fred Little 03-04-2005 04:42 PM

E-Budo is back up. There's a thread on the hack at:

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/show...threadid=29968

Interestingly, it seems that if you had your browser set to an existing thread, it was possible to get past the hack and navigate the forums through the Forum Jump feature. In other words, just because the front door is locked doesn't mean there's not another way in to the threads.

Hope this helps,

FL

Chuck.Gordon 03-05-2005 05:41 AM

Forums are down this morning. I suspect George is doing some maintenance and such ...

cg

Peter Goldsbury 03-05-2005 07:58 AM

Hello Fred,

Well, I woke up this morning and went through my usual routine over breakfast, which is to check posts on my own e-mail files, Aiki-web, E-Budo, and Aikido Journal, in that order. I accessed E-Budo to check on posts in the Aikido and Japanese Language forums, of which I am moderator, and saw nothing amiss on E-Budo, other than a thread about E-Budo being hacked.

However, as Chuck Gordon has indicated, at present I can no longer access E-Budo forums, so have no idea about what has happened.

To respond to your post, there are two moderators for the Aikido forum and a browse through previous discussions will indicate why this is so. Tony Manifold and I have never met each other and we operate quite independently. I am sure that Tony's ideas and mine about the martials arts & aikido are different, but I cannot think of a case so far when we have disagreed about moderating procedure.

Secondly, I will meet Jun Akiyama in Hiroshima next weekend and we will travel to Himeji to meet Peter Rehse. So there will be much discussion about aikido and I hope that web discussion forums\and their moderation\will figure in the discussion at some point.

Jun Akiyama and Stan Pranin moderate their respective forums with an extremely light touch\hardly at all. E-Budo is more heavy-handed by comparison. On the other hand, it is instructive to see how the three forums dealt with Shaun Ravens' recent posts on copyright. Jun locked the forum, but kept it open for people to read. Stan removed it completely. I decided to leave it open and monitor it. Eventually Tony Manifold put it in the Bad Budo section, where it still remains, open and available for additional postings.

There was much private e-mail discussion about the issue as well, but I feel that the way it was handled at E-Budo was basically correct and is evidence of your assertion that E-Budo allows for a wider range of input than some other discussion forums\which also attracts those whose grasp on reality, shall we say, is less secure .

Best regards,